PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 03-22-2019, 04:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.39 MB
Wonderful! Watching the constructions, I sometimes see that the LC frames sometimes do not fit the wrapping so I am staying far from the LC parts. Not to speak about their price. I have no doubts about the outcoming result! I hope you have space for stocking it at home because it is very high. Or you can make the upper section of the towers "detachable". I wish you success for the construction.
Chris
Old 03-22-2019, 08:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thank you very much for the comments and encouragement, friends
@ - Thomas – My only “visit” to the Wroclaw Cathedral was through Google Street View. It is not the same, of course, but it is instructive. I may not have expressed correctly on some points: my issue with the window frames is that they have a solid color. Being (correctly) light colored but relatively broad at the edges makes them less appealing than the printed parts, which are carefully painted. Again, I stress that it is a matter of taste. So, it is “no” for the window frames but “yes” for the structure frames – I strongly recommended their use in the second post.
The pictures you took and published are great! They show that the real colors are a bit lighter and reddish than in the kit. The difference is noticeable in the two pairs of real/model pictures. The bricks are not as well defined in this kit as they are in the Krakow Cathedral kit. GPM has room for improvement, in this particular point.
Another issue steps in by looking at the “real” pictures: the glass paintings are barely visible from outside, as you took the pictures in broad daylight. I had a very interesting talk with Thomas Pleiner on this subject, in the Lodz thread. Take a look. Your method to show the glass paintings is undoubtedly effective but is it realistic? Maybe not! I’d conclude that it is possible to defend both the “with” and “without” options. The choice is a matter of taste. By the way, it might be possible to make the white paper/transparency/frame sandwiches and apply them later…
@ Erik – If you remember well, I made many changes to the Krakow Cathedral kit and criticized GPM for complicating the modeler’s task. Wroclaw doesn’t seem to be any better in this respect! Anyway, the buildings are so pretty that the kits are worth the extra effort resulting from not having been designed by, say, Thomas Pleiner. The structure frames and the detail set, even when not using it all, are certainly worth the investment.
@ Kriszme – The upper emplacement of my architecture showcase has just the required height. The stated model height is quite similar to the SB’s Koln and Ulmer cathedrals, which are at 1/300. When I decide to assemble the Barcelona’s Sagrada Familia (Domus kit), it will be a problem because the model is slightly taller. It is possible to lower the upper glass shelf (there is an emplacement every 5cm) but the models standing bellow would not be happy…

More floors and more details. Up to this level, the tower’s cross section is almost constant. It will get thinner on the next floors.
Attached Thumbnails
Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c019.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c020.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c021.jpg  
Old 03-25-2019, 07:53 AM

Now, the cross section change is quite evident. The second picture shows parts that hold the statues shown in the last picture. They will be protected by very fragile assemblies that will come later. Yet again, gluing tabs do more harm than good and I discarded them. Card bits very much ease the assembly. The triangular prisms to serve as the base for the embellishments are well apparent on the third and fourth pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c022.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c023.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c024.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c025.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c026.jpg  

Old 03-25-2019, 03:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
nice work on the next level those embellishments look as though they may be a bit off a fiddle to get good.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 52.85 MB
Ricardo, you are doing such a great work that I am almost speechless!

The way that you describe and give tips are very good. Thank you for that.
Google Adsense
Old 03-27-2019, 07:45 AM

@ David - right! With GPM's thick card, the tabs of such small parts change the overall shape. As indicated before, I used these triangular prisms in the Krakow cathedral and, as the method proved effective...
@ Tino - You're welcome

Just a couple of pictures. They show the tower’s upper floors and the trick to get a stable cross-section for the buttresses. Yet again, the gluing tabs were removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c027.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c028.jpg  
Old 03-27-2019, 10:03 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Ricardo - clever!

Excellent, crisp, cross-sections.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 52.85 MB
Those buttresses should be very hard to do without your method. A piece with round and square surface its not easy to model.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Amazing....
Old 03-29-2019, 07:52 AM

Thanks, friends
@ Tino, discarding the tabs, 6 edges remain. It is too much for me to handle and the trick is to eliminate degrees of freedom. A combination of flat and/or rounder formers almost always solves the problem. You have just to figure out a good combination

I told you that this was an ambitious kit! Today’s pictures show it well. The laser cut frames yield 1mm x 1mm card strips that serve just perfectly to shape the small columns shown in the first picture. I used half-cutting (maybe more than half…) to get the sharp edges apparent on the pictures. A lot of edge coloring work needed!
The tiny triangles may be a bit too much but, well, why not?
Attached Thumbnails
Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c029.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c030.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c031.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c032.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c033.jpg  

Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c034.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c035.jpg  
Google Adsense

Tags
1/200, gpm, wroclaw cathedral