PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 03-19-2019, 07:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200

For anyone that participates in this section of the Forum, the Wroclaw Cathedral is a well-known subject: Thomas has shown the assembly of this great GPM kit.
So, what is the interest of another construction thread about this subject? First, why not? The kit is so ambitious that a second build is hardly too much. Second, because I don’t intend to use the transparencies and the laser cut frames that go along with them. I confess that it was a hard choice. The transparencies/frames worked well in the Krakow Cathedral but not so well in the Lodz Cathedral. Both are 1/200 GPM kits and I have shown them already.
The fact is that, despite being at the same scale, from the same stable and published at roughly at the same time, the kits are conceived differently. Design and assembly methods are not the same. While in Krakow and Lodz, it is easy to open the structure to get the best effects of the transparencies, in Wroclaw, it would be a huge task. While in Krakow, the dark and thin frames blend beautifully into the model, in Lodz, the broader frames don’t work so well, despite the overall light colors. In Wroclaw, the lightly colored frames make a stark contrast to the cathedral’s relatively dark colors. It is a matter of taste, of course. Anyway, Thomas gave us the “with” option. I’ll provide the “without” option.
The building and the many annexes have varied architecture, making for a complex assembly. The kit designer/publisher went for a very ambitious rendering of all that complexity and I can only congratulate them! The result of an awesome work is a kit with 1400 parts printed on 23 colored pages and 16 black and white pages for the structure. As I bought the laser cut frames/detail set, those 16 pages are not needed. The first pictures, as always, show the kit. The Euro cent coin shows how thick the “basic” kit + frames + detail set is! In my view, the kit’s cost is amply justified…
Attached Thumbnails
Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c001.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c002.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c003.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c004.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c005.jpg  

Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c006.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c007.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c008.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c009.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c010.jpg  

Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c011.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-19-2019, 03:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
A huge amount of work, Ricardo, but it will be spectacular!
Old 03-20-2019, 07:33 AM

I hope so, Fred

The kit is divided into 15 assemblies. I intend to follow the proposed assembly sequence, which starts with the towers. The pictures show the base of the first tower. Don’t hesitate to get the laser cut frames: they will spare you a lot of hard work! I quickly realized that the frames fit very tightly. They shall not be glued on the thin paper parts. Otherwise, they would simply not fit! Skin assembly is done by wrapping-around the structure. The fit is good (there is no lack of skin) but the folds have to be done first. I used half-cutting, in order to get sharp edges, which have to be painted. Needless to say, the recessed windows must be glued to the skin in the first place…
Attached Thumbnails
Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c012.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c013.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c014.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c015.jpg  
Old 03-20-2019, 09:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
This building is close to my home city where I was born Good luck with the build
Old 03-20-2019, 04:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
nice tower base

Google Adsense
Old 03-21-2019, 07:48 AM

Thanks, Olo and David

Each tower floor has a set of details. This one has parts to broaden the base and embellishments at half height. There will be more of these!...
GPM’s paper is very thick and not exactly to my taste for this kind of detail. Well, it is part of the game. Both the base and mid height details are printed in sequence. They can be counted as a single part but it is better to cut where the link is just a point or two. Gluing tabs would only complicate the assembling task. In the base, I used card bits to get the desired thickness. In the middle, triangular section paper prisms served as a base to glue the kit’s parts. I applied the same method as in the Krakow Cathedral. It takes time but is worth the effort.
Attached Thumbnails
Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c016.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c017.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c018.jpg  
Old 03-21-2019, 09:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
These towers bases are really looking good! Going to be another interesting build.

Fred
Old 03-21-2019, 10:41 AM
Eternal Member

I am delighted to see that you are beginning the magnificent Wroclaw Cathedral. I think it will be great fun for me to re-live my enjoyable constructing of this remarkable model as I follow your posts. Every detail of the model is an almost perfect reproduction of the real church. Have you been to Wroclaw and seen the church?

As I often do, I was able to build the model of Wroclaw Cathedral before visiting it in June 2017. I posted the building of this model on this website and you added your gracious comments several times. You can read about our visit to Wroclaw Cathedral on my webpage at CATHEDRAL QUEST: our quest to experience cathedrals in Europe. The model was very true to the actual church.

You mentioned in your first post on Warclaw Cathedral that the brickwork was dark and that you didn’t care for the contrast of the frames and tracery and were not going to use the them. Actually, the brick work is light red and made up of several different shades and the framing around the windows and the tracery on the windows is a much lighter color of yellow/gold and makes a very distinctive and pleasing appearance. For your information I have attached several photos of the model compared to the actual structure.

You also stated that you were not going to use the stained-glass because of the problem of illuminating them from the inside. I had that thought when I began construction and saw that there would be no completely open space inside that would be available for lighting the entire interior. I don’t know where I got the idea of backing the stained-glass with white paper, but it sure works to illuminate stained-glass. Of the 40+ church models that I have, it is the only one that shows the stained-glass windows, even from a casual glance. I know it is your choice not to use them, but I am sure glad that I did.

You also stated that you were not going to you any of the support pieces that came extra, but I see that you began using it on the first tower. I would urge you to use it on the construction of the main areas of the church as it is rather lengthy and needs that support for the walls and the long roof.

I always enjoy your posts and explanation of your process on paper modelers. I will be checking your progress regularly. I would hope that your model and my model with the visual process of the construction on the web will encourage others to buy and build this beautiful church. It might also encourage some to go visit it in person, which was well worth the trip. We did not have enough time to visit it as I would have liked, since we were on a tour, but what time we had was very meaningful. I really love this model!

I have now finished the Budapest Cathedral and will make my final post tomorrow. I am ready to begin three entirely different models (surprise) that I will begin posting soon.

Keep up the good work. Thomas
Attached Thumbnails
Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-1-dsc02901.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-3-dsc08425.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-2-dsc02902.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-4-dsc08446.jpg  
Old 03-21-2019, 04:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.98 MB
Hello Ricardo,

nice to see that you're assembling that architectual masterpiece. I bought the kit some time ago, too ...

Cheers
Thomas
Old 03-22-2019, 03:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Good luck, Ricardo..... from what I can judge it will require all your skills and the model certainly looks worth the extra investment of laser cut sets.

Cheers,
Erik
Google Adsense

Tags
1/200, gpm, wroclaw cathedral