PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 03-30-2019, 03:51 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Chambord Chateau - France

My interest in building paper models began over 25 years ago with two Instant Durable Cathedral models. Since then, I have purchased and made almost all of the Instant Durable models except the Châteaux. Instant Durable models have always been my favorite. Recently I was looking at the Instant Durable Châteaux models, and decided that I would like to build them as well as see them in person. So several weeks ago I ordered Châteaux - Chambord, Chenonceau, Chaumont and Azay-Le-Rideau. After they arrived, we decided that we had to visit them.

After sixteen years of going to Europe to explore cathedrals and other buildings, mostly on our own, we decided to try a less strenuous Cathedral Quest this year. We had been considering a river cruise. After seeing the beautiful Châteaux models that I received, we found a Viking River cruise from Paris to Normandy and back, which offered an end of the cruise excursion to the Loire Valley with visits to Chambord and Chenonceau and possibly a special trip to Chaumont.

The Viking website said that all of this cruise were sold out for this year, and most of next year. We called, anyhow, the day after the models arrived and found that there had been a cancellation the day before on the Paris to Normandy cruise along with the visit to the Lenoir Valley for this Fall. We said we would take it. So we are booked and are looking forward great excitement to seeing at least two of the Chateaux and some new places that we didn’t visit in 2005 in France.

I have begun work on Chambord, and will be posting my progress from time to time. It will be a large model as the base is 17” X 23”. As you can see from the model cover there are many towers and even more intricate pieces of trim on almost all surfaces. The 4 towers that I have made so far fit nicely to the connecting sidewalls. It took a great deal of patience to attach the single piece top to all the towers and walls at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Chambord Chateau - France-1-dsc02919.jpg   Chambord Chateau - France-2-dsc02920.jpg   Chambord Chateau - France-3-dsc02916.jpg   Chambord Chateau - France-4-dsc02921.jpg   Chambord Chateau - France-5-dsc02922.jpg  

Chambord Chateau - France-6-dsc02923.jpg   Chambord Chateau - France-7-dsc02924.jpg   Chambord Chateau - France-8-dsc02925.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-30-2019, 04:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
Very nice subjects. I visited the Loire castles in 1980. They are really beautiful and unique.
Instant Durable models are also very good. Rather complex but the results are excellent. I built some 40 years ago the Notre Dame cathedral and it was a hit. I sold it and the guy paid me good money. He wasn't a builder. He liked to purchased already made models. Good luck with your Chambord.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.25 MB
Looking forward to observing your progress. I have some of the same kits.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
That is a nice intricate model. It looks like it will provide some good practice making cylinders.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:05 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Looking very good so far, Thomas. I bought a copy of this model right in the souvenir shop at Chateau Chambord, but ultimately sold it on eBay. The floor plan was just too big for my modest home. The second paper model I ever built was Chenonceau - a very beautiful model, and the base was the perfect size for my mantle. You will enjoy building it after Chambord, which looks so much harder.
Google Adsense
Old 03-31-2019, 08:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Visited Chambord last autumn. A bit over the top, but a beautiful approach:
Attached Thumbnails
Chambord Chateau - France-chambord.jpg  
Old 04-02-2019, 07:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.67 MB
Of to a good start! Looking fwd to the next WIP pics.

I never finish anyth
Old 04-03-2019, 01:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
Nice project !
Old 04-03-2019, 06:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It's wonderful that you and Kathleen will be able to enjoy this cruise and visit the places represented by your models. The Chambord model is a real beauty!

Don
Old 04-03-2019, 02:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
That's a good start to a complicated model - you'll need all the practice you can get when you start on the rooms on the roof!

I hope you enjoy your cruise - Viking prepare some excellent meals!

Cheers
Mike
Google Adsense