PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 07-13-2019, 03:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
I love the vigor of your watercolour paintings while the line work in your cathedral models always reminds me of the work in Sir Bannister Fletcher's "History of Architecture in the Comparative Method".

Derek
Old 07-14-2019, 02:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Lincoln

I have not heard of that so I shall look it up. The Shotteswell village Hall exhibition went well in spite of the fact that today saw the cricket world cup and the men's final at Wimbledon. Oh yes, the Grand Prix as well meaning inevitably that the turn out was lower than I should have liked. This week, I shall start drawing the first major parts of Lincoln Cathedral. I'm looking forward to seeing how Kurt ( Syrian Spitfire ) makes it because he builds them even better than I do.
Attached Thumbnails
Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5011.jpg  
Old 07-21-2019, 02:42 AM

Lincoln Cathedral. The Angel Choir.

I have finished drawing the Great East Window and one of the eastern aisle windows of Lincoln's Angel Choir. The aisle window repeats along the north and south sides of the Angel choir so I shall not have to keep drawing that one.

Sir Alec Clifton Taylor, in his 'Cathedrals of England' rightly levels some criticism at this design but having now constructed it and drawn it myself, I have to marvel at the ingenuity of the architect who designed it and sympathise with him for having to overcome the problem of how to light the vast roof space above the enormous east window and yet avoid 'balancing' one large window design on the tip of another one below it. I would have been tempted to insert some surface design in the spaces at the side such as can be seen above the arches of the nave arcade in Lichfield Cathedral's nave ( Staffordshire, England ) Tomorrow, I shall draw the clerestory windows of the Angel Choir and the chapels and Judgement Porch of the same Choir.
Attached Thumbnails
Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5015-2-.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5016-2-.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5030.jpg  
Old 07-21-2019, 10:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Beautifully drawn windows. Looking forward to seeing your final model of Lincoln Cathedral.
Enjoy seeing how you design your cathedrals. Also enjoying your paintings.

Fred
Old 07-28-2019, 02:32 PM

A little More Progress on Lincoln.

I have been busy drawing ( at twice the size of the finished model-kit ) the windows for the east end, called the Angel Choir because of the many beautifully carved, stone angels which adorn the interior. I was surprised to discover that the height of the clerestory windows is greater than the height of the large east window. I have also been drawing the lead roofs and shall post some more pictures of those parts tomorrow. If you want to see a master builder at work, see how Syrian Spitfire is coming along with his model-kit of Gloucester Cathedral. Amazing!!
Attached Thumbnails
Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5015.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5016-2-.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-29-2019, 08:15 AM

Hello Rupert ,

oh , these are very fine Details , I am looking forward also like Seascape

Kind regards from Austria
Kurt
Old 07-30-2019, 11:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.20 MB
I have been away from this site for many months, and upon my return one of the first things I find is Rupert hard at work on another ecclesiastical creation! These first drawings are staggeringly good - so beautifully evocative of the architecture and fine textures of such buildings. We can only sit back, in awe, and watch talent weave it's spell!

Apologies for sounding effusive, but there is little else that can be done when watching the craftsmanship of someone who has an eye for seeing the detail, and then transferring it so well to card. Amazing! Rupert, you call it having "been busy drawing", but to me it is alchemy, ha ha!

I used to live in Lincolnshire, just north of Lincoln itself, and 4.5 miles from the cathedral. A beautiful city and area, I miss it.

Last edited by bernoullis; 07-30-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:43 AM

Thanks.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Actually, all is not well! The Great East window is too low by 5 mm. Fortunately, I have calculated a way to raise it without having to redraw the entire east facade. The alterations will have a minimal stretching effect on the surrounding parts.

I did raise it once ( see prototype with red cross-hatching ) but the upper window became too squashed and so I reversed the alterations only to be once more in doubt.

Anyway, here are some more photos of the latest stages. I will post again, when the alterations are satisfactorily completed.
Attached Thumbnails
Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5082.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5075.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5052.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5046.jpg  
Old 08-01-2019, 06:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It is wonderful to look behind the scenes to see how you develop your models.

Your artistry is always a joy to the eye.

Don
Old 08-01-2019, 11:17 AM

More

Hi Don. Glad you're following. There's more.

I have raised that east window to its correct height and it is exact to the millimetre now. I have also added the Judgement Porch but as I drew it actual size it does not match the flanking chapels for finesse of detail: I will draw it again of course and then I shall move on from this part 'The Angel Choir' to the Little Transept and its odd little chapels.

Before I move on though, I need to return to my painting.
Attached Thumbnails
Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5094.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5089.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5086.jpg  
Google Adsense