PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > > >

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08-04-2019, 01:01 AM
Styrian Spitfire's Avatar
Styrian Spitfire Styrian Spitfire is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Styria
Posts: 902
Total Downloaded: 0
Hello Rupert,

very nice, looking at the pictures, it is already working in my head, where and how I could do my detailing.
Thanks for being part of the process of creating the model, this is very interesting.

With best regards from Styria
Kurt
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-04-2019, 01:49 PM
bernoullis's Avatar
bernoullis bernoullis is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 226
Total Downloaded: 21.20 MB
Rupert, you are obviously comfortable with your methods, which seem to involve a lot of 'eyeballing' of dimensions. Obviously, it works, for the most part, and your existing models prove that.

However, I do wonder if much of the angst of getting proportions and dimensions correct would be removed if you had acess to 'authoritative' plans. Have you ever tried contacting the folks that manage and run these buildings to see if such plans exist? Yes, the buildings you create are all very, very old, and plans may no longer exist, or there may only be relatively basic ones available. But you mmight be able to get the fundamental dimensions pinned down quite accurately, form which much of your 'eyeballing' would surely be easier? Just a thought.

I guess I am the type of person who just wouldn't have the courage to undertake the beautiful modelling that you do without way more in the way of good measurements, angles, profiles etc as a starting point. I suppose I just don't have the artistic flair to do this sort of thing, heh heh!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-05-2019, 01:34 AM
A. Pirling's Avatar
A. Pirling A. Pirling is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 211
Total Downloaded: 90.95 MB
Hello Rupert!
That's a beautiful model again.

I hope I will soon be able to add the model
to my collection of your marvellous cardboard models.

Adolf
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-05-2019, 02:58 PM
Rupert Cordeux Rupert Cordeux is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Coventry UK
Posts: 252
Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernoullis View Post
Rupert, you are obviously comfortable with your methods, which seem to involve a lot of 'eyeballing' of dimensions. Obviously, it works, for the most part, and your existing models prove that.

However, I do wonder if much of the angst of getting proportions and dimensions correct would be removed if you had acess to 'authoritative' plans. Have you ever tried contacting the folks that manage and run these buildings to see if such plans exist? Yes, the buildings you create are all very, very old, and plans may no longer exist, or there may only be relatively basic ones available. But you mmight be able to get the fundamental dimensions pinned down quite accurately, form which much of your 'eyeballing' would surely be easier? Just a thought.

I guess I am the type of person who just wouldn't have the courage to undertake the beautiful modelling that you do without way more in the way of good measurements, angles, profiles etc as a starting point. I suppose I just don't have the artistic flair to do this sort of thing, heh heh!
Before the internet, I used to cocoon myself in Birmingham City reference library for a day and use the official plans and drawings in their records. The snag was, none of them agreed with the other. The draughtsmen from different eras, often worked in quite sloppy ways and were not averse to adding a bit of symmetry if they felt it were lacking in the real building. Sometimes they did worse and in the end I lost faith in that approach. I found that my own measurements, at least for the ground plan were best. I used to go and pace round the cathedrals and fill notebooks with figures.The one exception was Southwell Minster. The Clerk of Works there send me these stunning prints of bang-up-to-date drawings which I still have, as they're a true work of art. My current method is far and away the best I have used and is decidedly more hit than miss!Oddly enough, there is a dearth of photos on line which show the northern parts of Lincoln, so a trip there is planned within the next few days.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-05-2019, 03:01 PM
Rupert Cordeux Rupert Cordeux is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Coventry UK
Posts: 252
Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pirling View Post
Hello Rupert!
That's a beautiful model again.

I hope I will soon be able to add the model
to my collection of your marvellous cardboard models.

Adolf
It will be a while yet but I shall let you know as soon as it's done. I suppose it will be the first Brexit Model!!!!
Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
  #26  
Old 08-13-2019, 09:59 AM
bernoullis's Avatar
bernoullis bernoullis is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 226
Total Downloaded: 21.20 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Cordeux View Post
Before the internet, I used to cocoon myself in Birmingham City reference library for a day and use the official plans and drawings in their records.
I should have known that someone with your eye for detail would already have tried that avenue, heh heh!


Whatever, just keep up the incredible work! It is very pleasing to the eye!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-10-2019, 02:24 PM
Rupert Cordeux Rupert Cordeux is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Coventry UK
Posts: 252
Total Downloaded: 0
Lincoln: more progress.

I went to Lincoln on Saturday ( lucky me - it's only the site of one of the WORLD'S most glorious cathedrals! ) and I collected data for the north side. There's a real dearth of stuff on line it seems. I have now added the little east transept and I have worked out the highly irregular north chapels. I am planning a big push this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5377.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5376.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5319.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5290.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5366.jpg  

Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-10-2019, 08:58 PM
Styrian Spitfire's Avatar
Styrian Spitfire Styrian Spitfire is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Styria
Posts: 902
Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Rupert ,

very nice Pictures from Lincoln , thank you

also your projekt Looks very fine

Kind regards
Kurt
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-11-2019, 04:42 AM
Kevin WS's Avatar
Kevin WS Kevin WS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Currently Southern Africa.
Posts: 5,636
Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Rupert - never been there. Will have to put it on the bullet list for when we next come to the UK.

Wish I was there - would have loved to pay a quick visit.
__________________
The SD40 is 53 now!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-12-2019, 03:09 PM
Rupert Cordeux Rupert Cordeux is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Coventry UK
Posts: 252
Total Downloaded: 0
Never mind.

I hope that you do get to see it and if you do, remember to park in the lower part of the city so that you approach the cathedral from Steep Hill which is long, winding and horrendously steep!

I see that you are in South Africa at the moment. I have never been there but I should have. I still have family there and my father lived in Cape Town during his childhood, missing out on the miseries of wartime Britain. He attended both Bishop's and St. John's and liked and disliked the experiences in equal measure.
Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 8.33%
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright © 2007-17, Paper Modelers.com