PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 06-22-2019, 05:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral

I have just started designing a new model-kit of Lincoln Cathedral ( UK ). To the uninitiated, it is one of the largest and most beautiful cathedrals in Britain. It stands above the city of Lincoln and can be seen from many miles away. It is one of the wonders of the world.

The proportions of the proposed model are not derived from existing drawings or plans, but from satellite images and photographs taken at a distance in order to minimise distortion.

Sources seem to differ on the precise length and breadth of the building and are vague about whether the proffered measurements are internal or external. Nobody, however, disagrees on the interior height of the nave or on the height of the central tower. So that is where I start. The number 1.275 - almost mystical to me, converts feet to millimetres for the model and so the Central Tower at a height to the pinnacles of 271 feet works out at 345 mm or for ease visualisation,13.5 inches.

Here I have drawings which show that my workings-out translate to an authentic west facade, one of the most iconic parts of most cathedrals and so a part which must be got to look right. I was a bit worried about how low and sprawled the main part of the cathedral looks, but I have checked this to my satisfaction.

Next, I will start making the trial-run boxes for all of the main parts. It will be big! Almost as long as Ely, perhaps not quite as massive as York, but with far more monastic remains and so covering a bigger area.

My 1990 model-kit of Lincoln Cathedral which some of you may know, was OK, but very wasteful of card, rather poorly drawn and in parts, very difficult to make. This model will seek to put all those problems in the past and, drawn at 3 x the finished size, will be more detailed and more stunning than all that have gone before.

SO. WATCH THIS SPACE.

I have added some recent watercolours done near Banbury for a bit of variety!
Attached Thumbnails
Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_4928.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_4929.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-02.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_4908.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_4923.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 06-22-2019, 10:46 AM

Hi Rupert ,

oh these are good news , I am looking forward to your projekt

Kind regards
Kurt & Helga
Old 06-22-2019, 09:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Love your watercolors.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:20 AM

Thanks. Watercolour painting is really my main thing in life. But I also have a passion for English churches which finds its outlet in the form of models.

Anyway, to Lincoln: Here is the test build so far. I am always amazed at how theoretical measurements fall apart once I attempt to translate them to card and so these test builds allow me to make the necessary adjustments before I start the time consuming drawings.

Next to the incomplete test model of Lincoln Cathedral is the first ever completed model of Gloucester Cathedral ( to the same scale of course ). Lincoln is a cathedral of superlatives and after York and St. Paul's is our third largest cathedral.
Attached Thumbnails
Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_4946.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_4947.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_4950.jpg  
Old 06-29-2019, 12:53 PM

Hello Rupert ,

the first steps are Looking good !!

Kind regards
Kurt
Google Adsense
Old 07-03-2019, 05:03 AM

Creeping along.

I remember now that in 1990, when I made my first version of a Lincoln Cathedral model-kit, I came grinding to a halt at the west facade. The same happens with a lot the big cathedral west fronts. In particular, Peterborough - almost impossible to work out, Wells - just plain fiddly - and now Lincoln. I shall be going there soon to get my own data but with what there is online, I have finally worked out this very odd facade. Odd, because the twin towers seem symmetrically placed from the front but seem to sit off-side from the rear view. Odd, because there is a kink in the nave roof ridge and odd because the two windows in the recessed arches either side of the big central arch don't - I know now that they shouldn't - align with the nave aisles but in fact the towers. The asymmetry of the towers has beaten me. I tried in three different drawings to accommodate this oddity but other parts then went awry in quite significant ways. I have therefore gone for symmetry and I shall create the illusion of asymmetry with crafty drawing. You know I can and I will. Above all, I have to keep in mind that this big model with many parts should at least be an easy build.
As an antidote to this rant, I have put some watercolours up as well. We don't have mountains in the Midlands or Warwickshire but we do have the gentle Burton Dassett Hills with lots of sky and sheep.
Attached Thumbnails
Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_4993.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_4968-2-.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-12.-approaching-rain-shower.-burton-dassett.-190.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-19.-rocky-outcrop.-burton-dassett.-190.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-9.-sunny-morning-wroxton.-240.jpg  

Old 07-04-2019, 12:36 PM

Is Lincoln available yet?
Old 07-04-2019, 02:40 PM

Lincoln Update

Gosh no! It'll be ready in about a year's time. As long as I don't get hit by a bus or struck by lightning.... or fall of Lincoln Cathedral's central tower etc...

Anyway, here is the prototype model with nave and screen added. Now that I can see it in three dimensions, I have immediately seen a much better way to make the new parts. The finished look will be identical but more economical on card, stronger and above all EASIER TO PUT TOGETHER! I like to think of your enjoyment and convenience at all times! I have been experimenting with allowing for the thickness of the card so that as the model goes together, little inaccuracies don't start creeping in: so far, it has worked.
Attached Thumbnails
Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_4994.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_4995.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_4996.jpg  
Old 07-05-2019, 09:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.88 MB
I love your delightful watercolours too.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:05 AM

Lincoln Cathedral Update.

The 'Shell Guide to England' threw a spanner in the works! However, I'd much rather discover the big errors now than later on.
The photograph in that guide was taken from the popular vantage point of the castle and from there, the parapet tops of all three cathedral towers line up almost exactly ( see red line )
Using google maps, I quickly ascertained that the said vantage point was almost exactly one cathedral's length away from the west front of the cathedral itself. However, when I lined my prototype model up and viewed it from the scaled down distance, I saw, much to my consternation that the parapets did not align: they were wildly out in fact. The question was why? After endlessly checking the data, I discovered that I had made the west towers too short by 12 mm and the central tower too tall by 16 mm. I ripped off the appropriate amount from the central tower and put a paper marker on the west tower and now when I get down and view the result, the tops of the parapets line up! RESULT! The last photo shows my exhibition of paintings at Shotteswell village Hall near Banbury in Oxfordshire.
Attached Thumbnails
Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5010.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5009.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5005.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5004.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_4999.jpg  

Last edited by Rupert Cordeux; 07-13-2019 at 02:07 AM. Reason: more info needed
Google Adsense