PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 01-31-2020, 05:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Lincoln Cathedral. Western Towers.

Here are some photos showing the generation of a drawing for the western tower faces. I kind of got distracted towards the end, hence the doodle of Phineas being bothered by the Harpies. The last photo is only a poor one. I'll post some better ones tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_6053.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_6056.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_6059.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_6065.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-win_20200131_22_18_35_pro.jpg  

Old 01-31-2020, 05:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.20 MB
No doubt about it, Rupert, this is going to be one of your finest models ... and that is saying something for a creator as gifted as you are. It is coming along beautifully!

I noted the drone video of Lincoln Cathedral that you mentioned in one of your postings from October last year. It is good you were able to find something that helped with your design and build, but the thing that immdiately struck me was that the chap doing the video was operating well outside the law regarding the use of private drones - flying beyond (unassisted) visual range, overflying a densely built up area with many people and vehicles - it's daft, never mind illegal. And he began his video with a good shot of himself, so he probably doesn't care, or hasn't bothered to seek out the legal side of things. As fun as it might be, the law has been clear for a few years now about private drone operation and one cannot just fly anywhere and at any altitude.

But you, Rupert, were fortunate enough to get your "correct proportions" on the back of this chap's folly!

Keep up the stupendous work!
Old 02-01-2020, 11:21 AM

Drone

You won't be surprised to know that he was prosecuted. This video has other coverage on line which just treats him with contempt. I admit that this kind of activity is reckless, but there's no denying the usefulness to me of such a find.

As a matter of fact, I have just been studying another drone video, legal and therefore rather tame by comparison, but useful nevertheless for my purposes.
I am now embarking on the final stage of the main components of the model: the chapter house and cloisters. In particular I needed to know how high the apex of the conical roof is and so by pausing the video at the moment when the tip of this pointed roof cuts the horizon, I have been able to compare it to all the other parts of the cathedral which are also on the horizon at the same time.

Getting the height of the chapter house parapet right won't be so easy it seems, but as sure as eggs are eggs, I shall do it, one way or another.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:26 AM

Roof Invasion!

I almost forgot. Some 'free climber's got onto the roof one evening by scaling some scaffolding on the west front of the Cathedral. Again, totally illegal and therefore not to be encouraged. They did get some cracking shots of the west towers which helped me very much. They also took some stunning photographs of the rush hour landscape of Lincoln at dusk.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:46 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Rupert - liked your drawing of Phineas - trying still to have a meal complete with upset bowl! Cracking!
Old 03-27-2020, 03:59 PM

A lot of Progress with Lincoln.

As I said in a previous posting, I was about to embark on the chapter house and cloister designs. Well here they are. As you can see, I have not done any buttresses yet but while I endure 'lock down' I shall just crack on and do them. I have also started the written and illustrated instructions, so provided I don't catch covid 19 and die, this model is well on track
Attached Thumbnails
Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_6423.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_6422.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_6407.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_6628.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_6631.jpg  

Old 04-03-2020, 07:55 AM

Hello again Rupert ,

it looks very fine , I am looking forward to the finish

Kind regards from Austria
Kurt
Old 06-08-2020, 02:36 PM

More Progress.

Lock down UK has given me more than enough time to really plug away at this. On target for finishing in June.
Attached Thumbnails
Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_7172.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_7176.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_7160.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_7153.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_7086.jpg  

Old 06-08-2020, 03:03 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Looking grand Rupert!

With no postal service and the borders closed it will be a while before I can even think of getting someone to bring me one!
Old 06-09-2020, 03:28 AM

South African.

I couldn't help noticing that you are in South Africa. My father was South African and British. His father was in the colonial service and during the second world war, was called out of early retirement and was employed at Fort Jameson as District Commissioner. My dad loved his time in South Africa though he was not too keen on Bishops or Saint John's colleges where he had to board.
Google Adsense