PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 07-01-2019, 06:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Matthias temple - Budapest - 1/200 - 3D Karton

The first kit from Hungarian publisher 3D Karton models a very fine temple in Budapest. As far as I know, they published just 3 kits and this one is the most ambitious. It includes 16 pages with 409 parts and many annotated pictures as assembly instructions.
409 parts is quite respectable in itself but not much for such a complex building. The reason is simple: there are no recessed windows or doors. On the other hand, the graphic quality is remarkable. Flat walls look to have volume! The first pictures, as always, show the kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Matthias temple - Budapest - 1/200 - 3D Karton-s.matias-c01.jpg   Matthias temple - Budapest - 1/200 - 3D Karton-s.matias-c02.jpg   Matthias temple - Budapest - 1/200 - 3D Karton-s.matias-c03.jpg   Matthias temple - Budapest - 1/200 - 3D Karton-s.matias-c04.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-01-2019, 02:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
Ricardo,

You have made a good choice. I made this church in 2011! I can't believe how time passes so quickly.

The instructions say that the tower should be made first, but it's not added till the end - If I remember there is a lot of detail on the tower.

I'll be following your build and hope it brings back good memories

Cheers
Mike
Old 07-01-2019, 04:50 PM
Eternal Member

Hello Ricardo, I am glad to see that you are going begin work on St. Matthias in Budapest. It is a beautiful church and has a lot of interesting history. We visited there in 2011 - after I made my model. You can read about its history and our impressions on my webpage at CATHEDRAL QUEST Central Europe 2011 day 13 sightseeing in Budapest. There are also links to the model on that page.

Mike Stamper and I built our models about the same time in 2011. Mike is person who introduced me to papermodelers.com. We had the privilege of meeting Mike and his wife for several days when we were in London in 2013. He is a great fellow!

I look forward to seeing your progress on this model. I enjoyed so much your frequent posts on the building of Wroclaw Cathedral. I am sure I will enjoy reliving the building of St. Matthias as much. You are such a perfectionist and add your own interesting had enhancements.

I also made the 3D Karton Prague church this year. It also is a lovely model which you can see on my webpage at CATHEDRAL QUEST: our quest to experience cathedrals in Europe.

I wish they had made more models. I have the Budapest bridge kit but have not made it. It has a lot of “stringy” parts.
Good luck on your build.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
I'll be following this one.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:11 AM

Welcome aboard, friends

@ Mike / Thomas - you probably built the model soon after it was released. I confess to have taken some time to buy a copy and much more to start building it
@ Mike - You know I very seldom read the instructions Anyway, the idea is to follow the the part's numbers, as in Schreiber kits. The building's shape is not well defined in the base and it looks logical to add the tower at a much later stage...
@ Thomas - thanks to a good friend, I have the other kits and they will follow shortly. I agree 100% about your remarks regarding the bridge! It will not be an easy build.

The construction starts with the tower. The pictures show the base. There are no recessed windows or doors but the 3D detail is hardly missing. Just visible is a card template that I added to solidly fix the base shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Matthias temple - Budapest - 1/200 - 3D Karton-s.matias-c05.jpg   Matthias temple - Budapest - 1/200 - 3D Karton-s.matias-c06.jpg   Matthias temple - Budapest - 1/200 - 3D Karton-s.matias-c07.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-03-2019, 01:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
looking good

Old 07-05-2019, 06:49 AM

Thanks, David
Continuing with the tower…
The last picture shows a large octagonal section. The walls are flat but the printed detail gives a strong 3D effect!
Attached Thumbnails
Matthias temple - Budapest - 1/200 - 3D Karton-s.matias-c08.jpg   Matthias temple - Budapest - 1/200 - 3D Karton-s.matias-c09.jpg   Matthias temple - Budapest - 1/200 - 3D Karton-s.matias-c10.jpg  
Old 07-08-2019, 06:41 AM

As shown in the pictures, the tower’s upper sections are the trickiest, both to cut and to assemble. The usual card templates (not included in the kit) helped a lot to get regular shapes.
Attached Thumbnails
Matthias temple - Budapest - 1/200 - 3D Karton-s.matias-c11.jpg   Matthias temple - Budapest - 1/200 - 3D Karton-s.matias-c12.jpg   Matthias temple - Budapest - 1/200 - 3D Karton-s.matias-c13.jpg   Matthias temple - Budapest - 1/200 - 3D Karton-s.matias-c14.jpg   Matthias temple - Budapest - 1/200 - 3D Karton-s.matias-c15.jpg  

Matthias temple - Budapest - 1/200 - 3D Karton-s.matias-c16.jpg  
Old 07-08-2019, 09:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Great work with the knife to cut all those detail parts! Tower looks great.

Fred
Old 07-08-2019, 10:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Nice cutting on those parts.
Do you sharpen the blade or do you change the blade often?

I have a piece of leather belt that I mounted on some wood that I use to strop blades with. Some sharpening compound is rubbed on the leather. Works good for the edge.
Google Adsense

Tags
1/200, 3d karton, budapest, matthias temple