PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 07-02-2019, 01:48 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Gdansk Paper models

As I have written numerous times, I like to buy model kits of places that we plan to visit and build them before we see them in person. Two years ago, we made our cathedralquest to Poland. Poland has two excellent paper model publishers – JSC and GPM. Most of JSC’s models are in and around Gdansk. I ordered all 8 of their model kits of Gdansk in the hopes of visiting most of them. Three of the kits contained more than one model - Gates(3), Granaries (3) and Towers (6). I noted today on JSC's webpage that 5 of the Gdansk kits are no longer listed which I assume to mean that they are no longer published. That is sad!

Since we did not speak Polish, we considered that we would not be able to travel on our own, as we have other countries where we understood some of the language. So we booked an 11 day Colette tour. Towards the end of the tour, we had 3 days in Gdansk.

On the last day, the time after lunch was designated as free time or to go on a special side trip. We chose the free time in order to see as many of the models as possible.

The previous day, we had time to explore the Long Embarkment and the Granaries. So on this afternoon we saw the Old Town Hall, the Anchor Tower, the Jacek Tower, the Cow Gate, and the City Stables. These models are all posted below.

I invite you to click on this link CATHEDRAL QUEST: our quest to experience cathedrals in Europe to the day that we made our visit to the real structures. It was great fun looking for these buildings which I would make on our return home.I had already made the Long Embarkment model. Although these models were small and easy to make, it is still fun to see them on my shelves.

I have a beautiful GPS model of St. Mary’s Cathedral which I have not built yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Gdansk Paper models-gdkwaterfrontmod.jpg   Gdansk Paper models-gdkgranmodel.jpg   Gdansk Paper models-gdansktownh.jpg   Gdansk Paper models-gdkachormodel.jpg   Gdansk Paper models-gdkjanek-model.jpg  

Gdansk Paper models-gdkcowmodel.jpg   Gdansk Paper models-gdkstablemod.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-02-2019, 02:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
That's a nice collection of buildings!

I made the first two and put the museum on the other side of the water from the embankment.

How did you get on with the language? I think we only spoke to one person who didn't speak English when we drove round Poland.

Cheers
Mike
Old 07-02-2019, 03:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Nice system you have. Build a building model, visit the building. A great way to travel.