PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 09-17-2019, 02:26 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
PONT-NEUF a panorama de L’ile de la Cite’ (Paris)

Several years ago, I purchased the L’Instant Durable model PONT-NEUF - a panorama model of L’ile de la Cite’ (Paris). It is very different from other models that I have built because it does not consist of complete 3D models of buildings. Instead, it is an in-depth look at just the façade of a number of buildings that can be seen from the Pont-Neuf bridge to Notre Dame Cathedral. There are no whole models, just the façades which are glued to a sloped base.

We will be going back to Paris on our next Cathedralquest (CATHEDRAL QUEST: our quest to experience cathedrals in Europe) next spring when we take a Viking River cruise from Paris to the Normandy Beaches. We will be making a number of stops, some of which we have seen before, but will be fun to see you again. We will also take an after cruise trip to the Lenoir Valley where we will visit several Châteaux’s (I have already made the model of Chambord, which is still in the top 7 on the Forum.

I have included in the attached photos a 1870 painting by Alexandre Noel of I’ile de la Cite’. Photo # 3 identifies all of the buildings in model.

The panoramic model shows the Pont-Neuf as it is today. The bridge itself (completed in 1606) is seen from downstream, in front of the Ile de la Cite’, whose tip divides it into 2 unequal sections traveling the large branch of the Seine on the left and the smaller branch on the right.

The assembly instructions are very sparse as seen by photo # 4. There are 13 legal size pages of parts, many of which are named, but all are in sequential numbers or alphabet. There are no drawings which show the placement of these parts. It will be necessary to work from the cover photo and several photos of the real buildings. The model contains tiny figures engaged in various work activities plus a number of trucks, cars and motorcycles which can be seen on the bridge.

As per the instructions, I have now completed the 7 back buildings. The base is sloped, but the buildings are straight. There are supports provided to keep the buildings from slanting the angle of the base. Photo member 8 shows these little supports. Before adding the 2 building sections on the very front, there are trees to be planted in the area in front of the original buildings.

I think this will be a fun model to complete. Without more detailed instructions, I hope I can do it.

The instructions suggest that when the model is finished. It could be displayed in a frame. I don’t know whether I will do that are not.
Attached Thumbnails
-1-image-112-.jpg   -2-image-113-.jpg   -3-image-134-.jpg   -4-image-133-.jpg   -5-dsc03133.jpg  

-6-dsc03167.jpg   -7-dsc03172.jpg   -8-dsc03173.jpg  

Last edited by Tomdaviesclay; 09-17-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 10-24-2019, 02:54 PM
Eternal Member

On September 17 I began construction of this model of the Pont
Neuf in Paris. I have now finished it. Over the past month over 200 people have looked at this post, but not one single person has made even the slightest comment. I have posted on paper modelers for a number of years and have always had several comments either good or bad. I don’t know why no one has said anything.

It may be that all of you added wonderful comments but there is a malfunction of the software for this particular post and none of the comments have been recorded.

A second thought is that the subject and the initial photos were so negative that no one could think of a good thing to say about it, so they left it blank.

A third thought is that the model was so impressive and viewers were so overcome by its charm and beauty that they were left speechless, and therefore again said nothing. Paragraph

When I post these comments and they don’t appear, then I know it is a software problem and I will make a new posting and hope that comments are made. I really love this site and referred to it several times day.

This model is not a typical building model but more of a panorama of a famous scene in Paris. The scene begins at the tip of the Ile de la Cite’ where the Pont-Neufnew bridge the river. There are several recognizable buildings in the background like the towers of Notre-Dame Dom and Sainte-Chapelle. Since the model is not about the detail of the building but the bridge itself, there are many details including showing some ornamental stonework, streetlights, pedestrians in a variety of activities, and a number of vehicles. These special touches consumed most of the building time. I am having some visual problem right now but with the use of a strong magnifying glass I was able to cut out with an X-Acto knife all of the figure with only one person having their leg cut off.

Because of the number of lines which indicate windows, doors and ornamentation, I have never been able to get very sharp photos of the buildings. Please do note the construction of the bridge which dates back to the 16th century

I am going to take a break from building paper models for a short time as I want to return to my favorite hobby, that of woodworking, to build a few projects for Christmas gifts. I also need to build more space for displaying more models. I have over 70 kits yet to make. I will keep checking this website daily to see what my fellow remodelers are up to.
Attached Thumbnails
-05-dsc03186.jpg   -06-dsc03187.jpg   -09-dsc03202.jpg   -10-dsc03203.jpg   -07-dsc03191.jpg  

-03-dsc03182.jpg   -04-dsc03183.jpg   -11-dsc03205.jpg   -12-dsc03209.jpg  
Old 10-24-2019, 03:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Well Tom the post on 9/17 stated you were going to finish the model but were not sure if you will enclose it in a frame like the instructions said.
There has been no other post about the model until today. No photos of the completed model, no closure about wether it would be framed or not. Just a lot of antici................................pation for some further info on the status of the model.

Now that it is completed I can say, without any purpose of evasion, that it is a very impressive model. It makes for a good display that can be explored for minutes if not hours. Nice bridge, by the way.

I like woodworking too. Many years ago I made a few mini displays of eight carved reindeer, a sleigh, and a Santa standing by the sleigh. The recipients enjoyed them.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 854.80 MB
Send a message via AIM to cwiokster
It is quite ironic and a little puzzling that the oldest standing bridge in Paris should be called the Pont Neuf (New Bridge). Once a thing is named in France, It's named for good! [C'est la tradition, non? Si!]

This kit seems to be a modern version of those old postcard models seen on the forum from time to time.

I wonder if a look at this area in 3D, such as in Google maps, would reveal any useful details to fill the lack of info?

Jeff C.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Thanks for the pictures, Thomas. It's a beautiful model, and I've often wondered what would look like built.
Google Adsense
Old 10-29-2019, 04:14 PM

Really great build and a cool one to have. Thanks for posting.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A magnificent model, Thomas.

Lil and I have seen that view!

Don