PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 10-07-2019, 01:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Groningen Hoofdstation 1/487

In august '19 there was an election to choose the most beautiful train station building of the Netherlands. Of course, the station in my city won. Is has been designed by Izaak Gosschalk in 1896 in a neo-gothic style, which was very popular in those days.
In 1996 the Dutch railway system, NS, issued a nice paper model of the building on six 25x70 sheets. Weird size perhaps, but 50x70 is a standard paper size over here. (first two pictures show the original paper model and its package; the ruler is just over 50 cm long.)
Long out of print, the Groninger Archives had an unbuilt model in its collection and negotiated a deal with the NS to reissue the model digitally to celebrate the most beautiful train station, and luckily, the NS agreed.
And I, while having the original model itself, twice even, also downloaded this version. I gave it a little more depth colourwise, and I decided, because of my chronic lack in shelf space to print the model on A4. That is a little smaller. Just a little. The original model measures 1/200, my printout is 1/487, give or take a millimeter. Let's see it it is possible, was what I thought. I used 160 gram paper and well, there I went.

The base plate measured 25 cm. That should be doable. Just the small ornamentary gables might prove to be tricky. But even that was all right actually. In no time I had the midsection of the building finished. Even the dormers weren't really hard in 1/487. Up next the east wing. Both wings have a little gallery with small benches and a row of columns in front. That also was really good fun to cut out.

The only thing that became tricky and needed to be redone (just another printout) was the roof. Although 160 gram paper isn't really bulky, in this scale perhaps (and because the original model was hand drawn) the space I had to tinker with was so small the roof just didn't fit into the space reserved for it. Only the second time around and with a lot of patience I managed it to more or less fit.

There was a little hardly noticeable twist in the contour of the lower roof, and the more complex upper roof was a little out of shape but all that was camouflaged by the tiny tower-like structure in the roof corner. There's so much to see in this scale, it doesnt really stand out.
Attached Thumbnails
Groningen Hoofdstation 1/487-dscf0503processed.jpg   Groningen Hoofdstation 1/487-dscf0505processed.jpg   Groningen Hoofdstation 1/487-p1130205processed.jpg   Groningen Hoofdstation 1/487-p1130225processed.jpg   Groningen Hoofdstation 1/487-p1130237processed.jpg  

Groningen Hoofdstation 1/487-p1130240processed.jpg   Groningen Hoofdstation 1/487-p1130256processed.jpg  
Old 10-07-2019, 02:10 PM

Next was the west wing, really the same as the east wing, but mirrired. SO a piece of cake I thought. Well, no. For some reason this one took me three times. The measurements were way more off than the east wing was.
At some point after an attempt to attach the lower roof to the higher end building, it all became too much and the west wing had to experience the wrath of my fist.
Back to the beginning. This time I decided to cut some sub-parts from some of the bigger pieces. That worked better. Still some twistiness, still some hard fitting areas but doable. It took me a couple of days. (I worked just an hour or two per day on the model, because of other real life things going on...)
After the main part of the west wing was done I started with the small parts like the dormers, the chimneys, the bay windows, the extensions. Most of the smallest parts were edge glued. I discarded all the glue tabs, they would become too bulky in this scale. Time for the railroad side of the building.
Attached Thumbnails
Groningen Hoofdstation 1/487-p1130263processed.jpg   Groningen Hoofdstation 1/487-p1130269processed.jpg   Groningen Hoofdstation 1/487-p1130270processed.jpg   Groningen Hoofdstation 1/487-p1130274processed.jpg   Groningen Hoofdstation 1/487-p1130277processed.jpg  

Groningen Hoofdstation 1/487-p1130278processed.jpg   Groningen Hoofdstation 1/487-p1130285processed.jpg  
Old 10-07-2019, 02:19 PM

The original station model had the canopy / overall span supports printed on one side, with no backing for the white side. So I made that for my model. It just looks better, I think. 14 small supports cut and glued to the wall and the base plate. The overall span was one piece, also white on the inside. I used a grey piece of paper to make the inside look like it actually does and it also provided some extra strength in the curving process. I used a very large wooden knitting neelde for creating the curvature.

It went on in one go. Just one pre-fit, which looked good to me, and with some glue at the upper edges of the supports, on it went.
And well, there it was. Hoofdstation Groningen in 1/487.

This was a build totally out of my comfort one of spacecraft and planes. It might be something I'll do again. Somehow people can relate to it better than seeing just another aircraft or a weird looking space vehicle. Anyway, that's it for now. Hope you can appreciate it a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Groningen Hoofdstation 1/487-p1130287processed.jpg   Groningen Hoofdstation 1/487-p1130288processed.jpg   Groningen Hoofdstation 1/487-p1130289processed.jpg   Groningen Hoofdstation 1/487-p1130295processed.jpg   Groningen Hoofdstation 1/487-p1130297processed.jpg  

Groningen Hoofdstation 1/487-p1130298processed.jpg  

Last edited by Paper Kosmonaut; 10-07-2019 at 02:38 PM. Reason: I changed a word into another word.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Well, it looks like it turned very good.

I was wondering if you scanned the original pages in sections then stitched them together to get a full digital copy of the individual pages but then read that you also have a digital copy. That makes it a few less steps to reduce the size to A4.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:42 PM

Hi Doug!

Here is the post about me 'finding it on the interwebs'.

It still is downloadable at the Groninger Archives.