PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 08-09-2023, 10:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.61 MB
Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda

Santa Comba de Bande is a Visigothic temple dating from the second half of the 8th century , located in the municipality of Bande in the province of Ourense in Spain.(from Wikipedia).

With a Greek cross plan and a rectangular perimeter from which the main chapel stands out at the head of the rectangle and at the feet, the portico. The rectangular perimeter is outlined by rooms on both sides of the portico that communicated with it, others with the transept and those in the apse with the nave.

Both in plan and elevation, it conjugates the Greek cross inscribed in a square, whose central point is raised by means of the dome.

The staggering of the volumes of the temple, from the highest to the lowest, thus goes from the dome to the main chapel, passing through the middle height of the arms of the cross.

It is covered with a barrel vault in the nave and transept, with a groin vault in the central section of the transept and a horseshoe vault in the main chapel.(from Wikipedia)

This kit is 7 pages long and 133 parts, so isn't a overcomplicated kit, but is surprisingly detailed. Will start the building today. In the meantime, below is a photo of the pages.

Cheers,

Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-parts.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-09-2023, 05:20 PM

The start of the model is very straight foward;

First, I cut out the holes on part 1b;

Then I added 2x 1c and 1x 1d inner window facings over these holes on part 1b as shown on photo 2;

Then I installed 4x 2c archs into 1b as shown into photo 3;

This finishes the outer walls of the tower; next in the insructions are the inner walls of the tower.

Cheers,

Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-1-.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-1-b.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-1-c.jpg  
Old 08-09-2023, 07:36 PM

Now I'm going through the 2nd phase, wich is to install the inner walls.

First, I cut the hole on the piece 1f;

Then I attach this part and part 1g to the proper places as shown on photo 2;

Next, I closed the pillars together and closed part 1b as shown on photo 3;

Finally, I cut the holes on parts 1e and 1h and attached them to the proper locations as shown on photo 4;

Next phase will cover the roof of the tower.

Cheers,

Gregory.

PS: On the first photo, parts 1f and 1g are absent because I already glued them onto 1b before taking the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-2-.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-2-b.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-2-c.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-2-d.jpg  
Old 08-10-2023, 08:36 AM

This phase dealt with the roof of the tower, wich went as follows:

Parts 2g and 2e makes the roof base and parts 2h and 4x 2d makes the roof itself and photo 2 shows the final result of those assemblies;

Part 2f is the tenon of the roof and goes on the bottom of the roof as shown on photo 3;

Photo 4 shows the final step wich was to glue the previous structure onto 1a, wich is the base of the church.

All of the roofs on this kit are removable, so anyone can see the internal layout of the church.

PS: Between photo 2 and photo 3, Although I finished the whole roof, I had a hard time to install the roof onto the 4 pillar square assembly... And because of that the borders on the roof's tenon got all white; I knew that this could happen due to all the friction between the assemblies and the paper quality, so I decided to redo the roof, but this time I added an extra layer of paper on parts 2g and 2e(on this one, the extra layer was added to the inside of it); The photo 3 shows the new roof I did, properly finished and now I can easily install it onto the structure.

Cheers,

Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-3-.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-3-b.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-3-c.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-3-d.jpg  
Old 08-10-2023, 11:12 PM

Finished another section, wich was the assembly of the south and north walls.

First, I cut the holes on part 2a and then added pieces 2l, 2m, and 1x 2n to their proper holes; 2L makes an altar from the printed side(photo 2).

Then I added part 2i to part 2a and glued the side walls onto 2i(photo3).

Next, I closed the walls on part 2a by gluing parts 3c and 3d to each side(photo 4).

For the north wall (photo 5), the assembly was almost identical;

Cut the holes on part 2b;
Glue parts 2K and 1x 2n onto their proper holes;
Add Part 1j wich makes a door frame on the left wall of part 2b;
Attach 2i to 2b;
Join 3a and 3b to each side of the wall;

To glue the door piece 1i, I made a ingenious hack using a copy of 1j:
  1. I cut one of the larger sides;
  2. Folded it in half and unfolded;
  3. And "sandwiched" 1i over the fold line, making a sorta of a hinge for the door.

And to finish I glued the door with the custom hinge on the proper location on the north wall.

Just a small note: since the small border of the door frame for the north wall on the part 2b was slightly tight to fit with the other pieces, I messed up when trying to assemble this wall fot the first time, so I ended printing the parts again and building it from scratch; photo 7 shows the finished look of the second try incuding the door; that's why I skipped taking photos for some steps while building it the second time...

Next phase will be to install the walls I made on the sides of the previously made tower and add interior detailing.

Cheers,

Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-4-.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-4-b.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-4-c.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-4-d.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-4-e.jpg  

Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-4-f.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-4-g.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-11-2023, 03:22 PM

Finished 2 more assemblies, wich were:
Attaching the walls onto their proper locations as well their internal decor and building the roof.

The process went as follows:
  1. 3j makes an elevated roof(photo 2) and photo 3 shows it installed;
  2. 2x 3i makes the sarcophagus feet(photo 4) and 3h makes the sarcophagus itself(photo 5);
  3. Photo 6 shows the finished sarcophagus and photo 7 shows it in it's proper place;
  4. 2x 3e makes the tenon(photo 8), and 2x 3k closes the tenon(photo 9);
  5. 2x 3f makes the roof base(photo 10);
  6. And 2x 3g makes the roof top(photo 11).

Photo 12 shows the finished roofs and photo 13 shows the finished look of the walls and the roofs installed.

Cheers,
Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-5-.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-5-b.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-5-c.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-5-d.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-5-e.jpg  

Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-5-f.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-5-g.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-5-h.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-5-i.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-5-j.jpg  

Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-5-k.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-5-l.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-5-m.jpg  
Old 08-11-2023, 05:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Had to look the model up. All the roofs are removable to see the interior?

I can see why it calls out to be built.

Keep up the great work
Old 08-11-2023, 09:05 PM

Yes, all of them are removable, I like those type of models, because I think that having the interior details enhances the model a lot, and gives a nice touch on the finished result.

Cheers,

Gregory.
Old 08-11-2023, 09:25 PM

The wall section I'm building is assembled in the same way as the previous ones, so I'll be skipping the step-by-step photos this time and instead I'll show the final result once I'm done. Photo 1 are the parts used and photo 2 is the finished wall.

Cheers,

Gregory
Attached Thumbnails
Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-6-.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-6-b.jpg  

Last edited by gregoy; 08-11-2023 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-12-2023, 11:07 AM

Between yesterday night and today morning, I finished more 3 sections, wich were to me the most enjoyable part of the model so far.

It consisted of 2 walls(one of them I already shown on previous post), an altar, and 4 columms;

The second wall is started by joining 4h to 4k(photo 2);

Then glue the inner wall parts 4f and 4j to 4k(photo 3);

Now I just make the corner by gluing all of the walls together(photo 4);

Photo 5 shows the last 2 walls properly glued within the rest of the model;

Photos 6 and 7 were the assembly of the roof for the wall I just finished;

On photo 8, I added all the interior decor parts 5a, 5b(those 2 make an altar), 5c(it's the raised floor), and 4x 5g wich are columms that goes on the sides of this room; 2 for each.

Now the next section will be the nave; I'm close to finishing the model.

Cheers,

Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-7-.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-7-b.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-7-c.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-7-d.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-7-e.jpg  

Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-8-.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-8-b.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-8-c.jpg   Iglesia Santa Comba de Bande - Secanda-8-d.jpg  
Google Adsense