PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 12-16-2019, 05:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Rialto Bridge

With Carnevale out, Carnevale - The Narrative Miniature game , it was just the excuse I was looking for to get into a little Venetian Gothic.

My first thought was to do the Rialto Bridge (even before I visited the site). Trying to get appropriate views from paintings and photos got me almost to where I wanted to be on it, but while looking for images, I ended up seeing the postcard model on Pintrest (home of all things pirated), and I decided if I built it, I might gain insight on developing my own model. I ended up blowing the thing up so that it takes three letter-sized pages, instead of 4"X6". I really thought more sizing errors would crop up than I actually got.

There are areas that I don't like on this one at all. It is quite simplified, but one of the agents I work with had gone to Venice since I last talked to him, so I sent him a photo of my enlarged model, and I got the coveted 'That's paper? Amazing!' comment, so I thought I'd share.

My model will be stylized and shortened, but the shops and central arch will need to be an acceptable height for 30mm gaming. Mine will be two feet long (should be three feet long) allowing for sidewalks along the canal and stairs extending to the streets at either end. The game is to be played on a 3-foot by 3-foot table, but I don't really see the point of the bridge unless you have the wharfs. That will be a somewhat long-term project, but here's the not-so-little one. It is seven inches long. I had to do some adjustments, but not many, which shocked me.
Attached Thumbnails
Rialto Bridge-20191208_161025.jpg   Rialto Bridge-20191208_171311.jpg   Rialto Bridge-20191208_190839.jpg   Rialto Bridge-20191208_190858.jpg   Rialto Bridge-20191208_190921.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 12-16-2019, 05:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Looks like a good plan.

The game sounds interesting. Is the goal to secure both ends of the bridge?
Old 12-16-2019, 08:05 PM

Even though it is shown on the home page, to my knowledge it never appears in the game, but those who are gearing up for the game that I have mentioned this project to are all excited.

I also wanted to do Ca d'Oro in three floors that nest onto each other, but someone took some of my images and cobbled together a mini version of it already, so the project has lost some of its luster.

So, I am starting to work on the column statues by the Ducal Palace, Teodoro and the Winged Lion
Old 12-17-2019, 03:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Fabulous! But you need a new cutting mat...
Old 12-17-2019, 04:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
That's a bit of a coincidence - my wife and I were in Venice in September and while walking round the city I found a souvenir shop selling models. I wasn't sure about it because they were 3D puzzle. After thinking about it for a few seconds I went in and had a look at the kits. I have to admit I bought a few. One was the rialto in a scale of 1:125. The final model isn't too bad party because I shaved off all the tabs. The bridge is about 52.5 CM wide.

If you are interested the makers' site is https://www.feltrinellieditore.it/op...nte-di-rialto/

they have quite a collection!

The shop also had a series of postcard kits so. in the sake of economy I bought the book with 5 kits! Here's their site - be warned the company have over 80 small kits of Italian buildings. https://www.formacultura.it/negozio/

Cheers
Mike
Google Adsense
Old 12-17-2019, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the inspiration and feedback.

That new ghetto has me thinking about a plaza for a battlefield.

I've also been thinking that if they have a Vatican faction, why don't they have a single chiesa. Besides all the regular churches, any time there was a plague, the principal players in the city built 'plague churches'. At one time I read that there were 287 of these. During the Napoleanic period most of them were decommissioned and put to mundane use. Or just plain razed, like the church opposite San Marco. It was razed so Napolean's nephew could build a palace on the plaza.

Since you were recently there, Mike, just think how many churches there still are (even if many of them are museums). It seems you would have to plan your route carefully not to see any ... if that is possible. I'm currently looking at some of these churches to come up with a simple to build model for the game. Something like the Iglesias from Edificios de Papel (I really wish Monica would bring her site back)
Old 12-17-2019, 08:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
Reminds me of some of the bridges on the river-walk, San Antonio.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:33 PM

I am reasonably certain Rialto pre-dates them.

Man alive, it has been a long time since I was down there ... 2004. I bet it looks a bit different now