PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 02-23-2020, 03:14 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Château de Chenonceau - France

It has been four months since I have worked on a paper model or posted any examples on papermodelers.com. I have spent some time in my workshop making a few wooden Christmas gifts.

I have also developed some wet macular degeneration in my left eye which makes building small models rather difficult. Let me tell you that the eye injections are no fun. I have one approaching this coming week.

I also have developed more back and neck pains. In addition to medicine for my back, I go to both a spine and pain physician regularly and am enrolled in twice a week PT for my neck. Not only is it difficult to see the small parts but it hurts my neck to bend over and work on them. My back is feeling much better so I decided to start on another model. Getting old sure is no fun so build models before you get to you 80"s.

Time is fast approaching when we will take our Viking River cruise in France. Some of you may recall that we changed it from October to this Spring because of my wife's knee surgery.

We also have a side trip at the end of the cruise to the Lenoir Valley to visit Chateaux. Last year I bought kits for four Lenoir Valley chateaux, two of which we definitely will visit- Chambord, which I built last Fall was displayed on this website in November.

The second Château that we will visit is Château de Chenonceau, which I have just started and will post updates on the site.

The model kit, produced by Le Instant Durable, is somewhat more difficult than the other models I have made because of lack of detailed photos and instructions. The orange sheetbelow ,which is rather hard to see, is showing where the main sections go and are identified with letters of the alphabet.. There are no photos of the work in progress or instructions on what piece to glue to another piece. There are eight photos of completed sections that are identified on the orange sheet. Each piece is identified with the letter that is printed on the orange sheet. Then there is a letters or number which identifies the order of gluing parts for that section plus the number divide into further numbers or letters we will to be added. It takes considerable time to find all these pieces and put them in place without any detailed drawings.

What I have done so far, as pictured on this posting, has taken several days. I will keep you updated as I think this will be a very nice model when finished. I am anxious to see it in person. I also hope that I will be able to make the other two chateaus which I hope that we will see on the excursion.
Today there was a beautiful presentation of Chenonceau on Youtube ---https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGeK9Vl4-YQ
Attached Thumbnails
-01-img_0096.jpg   -02-img_0097.jpg   -03-img_0098.jpg   -05-img_0100.jpg   -06-img_0101.jpg  

-07-img_0103.jpg   -09-img_0106.jpg   -10-img_0107.jpg   -11-img_0108.jpg   -13-img_0110.jpg  

Last edited by rickstef; 02-29-2020 at 05:13 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 02-23-2020, 03:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good work, Thomas. Glad to see you building and posting again, although I am sorry to hear about the debilitations.

This is a good-looking model.

Best wishes for the river cruise!

Don
Old 02-23-2020, 03:45 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks Don. I is good to hear from you. I look forward to seeing you and Lil again at the PLASTIC model convention on April 18 at Fairfax High School.

P.S. For those who don't know......our Internationn Paper Modelers group has been invited for several years to display our paper models at the Internation Plastic Modelers Convention in Fairfax, Virginia. Last year there were six of us, and we had the fiirst tables next to the entrance. It was great fun. I especially enjoyed it because I started out in Plastic models (actually is was cardboard/wood models because plastic models hadn't been invented yet. )
Old 02-26-2020, 09:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Nice work.

Enjoy your cruise.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Best wishes, sir. Glad to see you working on a model again. Always enjoy watching your builds
Google Adsense
Old 02-29-2020, 01:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
Thomas, as always you tackle complex yet interesting architectural subjects with amazing gusto. I admire your tenacity in refusing to let physical upsets stop your enthusiasm both in modeling and your globe trotting . This latest project looks like a lot of fun and, like other members, I look forward to seeing it completed . Hopes for improved health along with safe and enjoyable travels.

Derek
Old 02-29-2020, 04:46 PM
Eternal Member

I thank the 200+ viewers for taking time to look at this interesting model. I especially thank Whulsey, Vermin and Derek for their very gracious responses, and well wish for our upcoming Viking Cruise in France. I have been a member of the forum for many years and it is always fun to read a comment from one of my friend - members. Thank you very much.

I have been working on the Château de Chenonceau and am posting a few updated photos. I have been working on the front side of the entrance building by adding the left side front and column. I will complete the right side next.
Attached Thumbnails
-img_0112.jpg   -img_0113.jpg   -img_0114.jpg   -img_0116.jpg   -img_0117.jpg  

-img_0118.jpg   -img_0119.jpg   -img_0120.jpg   -img_0121.jpg  

Last edited by Tomdaviesclay; 02-29-2020 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:14 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
I didn't get a message from you Thomas asking for the change, but I have changed it for you now
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 02-29-2020, 05:29 PM
Eternal Member

thank you very much, Rick , for correcting my title mistake. It was great to see the correct title of Chateau de Chenonceau instead the Chambord. Look forward to see you at the next convention. Thomas
Old 03-14-2020, 02:45 PM
Eternal Member

I have now finished the first large section of the château which involved making the roof along with the small roofs which are attached to the gables. After attaching the roof to the building and gluing the back of the dormer windows to small roofs, I made and attached the chimneys. The next section that I will assemble will be the long structure that goes across the river.

Unfortunately, due to the coronavirus, we will not be taking our French Viking River cruise in May as planned and will not be able to see this model which is part of an extension tour at the end of the cruise. Fortunately, we have been able to reschedule for October. Our original booking was for October 2019 but had to reschedule it for this May because of my wife’s knee surgery.

Our prayer is that all of you will be safe and remain well since this virus is affecting each one of you, no matter what country you dwell in. Since most of us are quarantined in, it will be a good time to build a lot of paper models.

It would be interesting for those of you reading this to let the rest of us know how you are doing during this uncertain time.

We are doing well. All of the Episcopal churches in Maryland, Virginia and Washington, DC are closed for at least two weeks, as well as the schools, museums and concert halls. We live in Maryland and are less than 20 miles from both Virginia and DC We have canceled all of our appointments and other activities, so we are not going anywhere for the next two weeks and maybe longer.

Please stay well, yourselves
Attached Thumbnails
-1-img_0017.jpg   -2-img_0018.jpg   -3-img_0019.jpg   -4-img_0021.jpg   -5-img_0022-001.jpg  

-7-img_0025-001.jpg   -8-img_0026.jpg  
Google Adsense