PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 10-24-2020, 10:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
After adding all he superstructures and then damaging them with one of my lamps, I decided to do some gardening. I love geometric gardens and to disprove that "nature abhors a straight line".

There are a few long, thin structures. These are stairs leading into the basement.

Just a few more details and it's finished, then my thoughts will turn to Christmas

Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
El Escorial-img_0091.jpg   El Escorial-img_0092.jpg   El Escorial-img_0093.jpg  
Old 10-24-2020, 12:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
Mike, when I tackled the Schreiber "Hohenzollern Castle" I found the designers had done an excellent job in matching the pieces that doubled up. Glad to see and hear that your experience was just as gratifying. Your build continues upon its excellent course.

Derek
Old 11-05-2020, 12:03 PM

It's finished!

In fact it was finished a week or so ago. Because of the size I decided that outdoor pictures would look better. However it's been either too wet or too windy -until today.

It's unusual to have a favourite part but the small chapel in the interior garden is mine. The tower in the kit only has a piece of card bent at 90 degrees to cover only half the top and show the cross. I decided that it wasn't quite enough after all the other details. I took a small foam ball and cut it in half then painted the half with PVA glue. Water colours don't go well with foam but they do with PVA. I finished it of with a small cross painted with gold waterpaint.

I decided not to add any of the crosses because they seemed to be much too big. Looking at photos of the real thing shows that the crosses are almost invisible. I also followed Thomas' advice about the dormers. He felt that there were a few missing, so when I got near the end I counted the spaces and the dormers and there were a few missing (Not sure if I lost a few or there were too few in the kit) I photocopied a few and now all the spaces are filled.

While painting the edges, it struck me that it was a bit like the scandinavian coast line. For small countries they have possibly the longest. This kit has miles of edges to paint - the dormers and the garden walls and parterres making the most.

Any suggestions for a kit that can rival the Escorial ?

I'm now part way through the final diorama of the Czech town. There is a small sting in the tail - that will be revealed later.

Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
El Escorial-img_0099.jpg   El Escorial-img_0100.jpg   El Escorial-img_0101.jpg   El Escorial-img_0102.jpg   El Escorial-img_0103.jpg  

Old 11-05-2020, 12:09 PM

Just a few more pictures - there's so much to see ;-)

In the second picture in the other post you will see a small dash - It's a 300th figure standing in front of the doors.
Attached Thumbnails
El Escorial-img_0104.jpg   El Escorial-img_0105.jpg   El Escorial-img_0106.jpg   El Escorial-img_0108.jpg  
Old 11-05-2020, 12:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Congratulations, Mike! Great looking model.

Fred
Google Adsense
Old 11-05-2020, 03:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
That's beautiful, Mike.

A kit to rival it? That's a hard one. L'Instant Durable's Paris Opera House?
Old 11-05-2020, 05:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Very nice build, sir. I sat there looking for waviness in the lines, and didn't spot any. Quality work
Old 11-06-2020, 03:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 133.91 MB
Really a beautiful building and an amazing model!
Sincere congratulations!