Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Good progress Mike. Slog on...
Old 09-09-2020, 11:39 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Good progress Mike. Slog on!
Old 09-24-2020, 11:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
Just a quick note to say that I am still enjoying the build.

I have decided to make all the superstructures and attach them in one go at the end.

I'm making some dormers and attaching them where they won't interfere when I attach the structures.

I've been rereading Thomases review of the kit and the more of the kit I make the greater respect I have for his work. It was interesting to see that he decided to put the building on the individual base sheets first. I decided to follow the detailed instruction --"Add the pieces in numerical order" I figured the designer knows best"

Because of this I have had to add a temporary extension to my work table.

There's just one picture with most of the structures in place - they've not been glued but putting them there saves valuable space ;-)

cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
El Escorial-img_0066.jpg  
Old 09-24-2020, 01:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Looks good. I see there are still a few dormers to install.
Google Adsense
Old 09-24-2020, 02:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
It looks very pretty already.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 82.25 MB
Great looking build. Admire your tenacity with those dormers, truly a formidable detail. Look forward to the completion.

Derek
Old 10-05-2020, 03:17 PM

Things have been a bit quiet lately, mostly due to dormers....

I decided to add all those that are inside the building to make sure I could reach the spaces restricted by the superstructure. When that was done I started on the superstructures. These are all made and I'm about to add them in one go - mainly in the hope of not knocking over bits that have just been added. It also meant that I could leave the main building in another room until all the structures had been made. Now they are completed I'll bring the building back.

I have decided to leave off most of the crosses and all the chimneys. The crosses because they are much too big - look at a photo of the real building and they are almost invisible. Ever since I made the original Prague Castle district - i.e. before Betexa, the last job was adding chimneys, they were flat oblongs and to me they ruined the model. The Escorial has flat chimneys so they will not be added.

The photos are the main model with two of the towers that are to be added with the rest of the structures that are in the next picture. The final picture in the main tower. I've added this to remind me to write a note in the tips and tricks section.

After that it will be the remaining dormers and finally the gardens.

Excuse the pun (it is intended) I'm now in for a very moving evening ;-)

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
El Escorial-img_0082.jpg   El Escorial-img_0083.jpg   El Escorial-img_0084.jpg  
Old 10-13-2020, 03:11 PM

I've spent a lot of time making the superstructure, all of it is now in place except for the main dome's spire - it was attacked by my lamp! I have attached a before and after picture that shows how different it looks now. I made a few additions to the kit.
The longest time was adding an inside to all the balustrades. Some are folded in half so the back has a bit of colour and others are just one piece with a white back. I photocopied all the pieces and hoped for the German attention to symmetry to glue the copies onto the back. All of them worked perfectly - the backing pieces matched up well with the fronts. Another change was to the chapel in the garden, I was surprised that schreiber used a flat piece of card to make a half circle for the base of the dome, which was also flat. To make it more 3D I cut a small foam ball in half. I then painted it with PVA then painted it. It may not be perfect but I prefer it to one piece of paper folded in an "L" shape.

The other change was on the domes. I find it very difficult to get the "petals" to join accurately at the top. this then gives the spires an uneven surface to sit on. I made tubes that fit the size of the hole in the dome, then glue it to the underside of the spire. I can then move the tube so the spire is straight then glue it all together.

One final point before I start gardening (on the model) The two bell towers look a bit like the one in Pisa - I don't know why because looking a the model they are vertical (...... honestly;-)
Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
El Escorial-img_0082.jpg   El Escorial-img_0085.jpg   El Escorial-img_0086.jpg   El Escorial-img_0087.jpg   El Escorial-img_0089.jpg  

Old 10-18-2020, 12:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 128.43 MB
Very precise construction.
The building is very spectacular!