PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 08-31-2020, 10:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
El Escorial

Most of my recent models have been quite small and don't really have a "wow factor". With time on my hands I decided that the next building should be a little different. The one I chose is big in many ways. It's about the most expensive, has the biggest number of pages (46 A4) and one of the biggest bases (just under 70 x 70 cm). The scale is open to question because the kit says 1:300 but Schreibers web site says 1:400. Comparing it to other 1:300 scale models it looks about the same, however the real thing is rather bigger than most other buildings I've made.

Originally I was going to start a thread from the start of the build, but I enjoyed the build so much I didn't have time to take pictures. The fit of the parts and their size gives the start (at least) instant gratification. The early stages are mainly boxes with no graphics.

as you will see, I am now onto the next stage where the roofs are being added. Things have slowed down a bit.

There is one big question for later.... On the roofs of the 7 small buildings you will see white spots, these are for the dormer windows, just some of over 300!

One page is for the instructions - "Start with part one and continue numerically" One of the photos shows one side of the rest and shows that there are over 170 parts - ignoring duplications like the dormers and flower beds.

That's it till the next time...

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
El Escorial-img_0055.jpg   El Escorial-img_0054.jpg   El Escorial-img_0053.jpg   El Escorial-img_0052.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-31-2020, 10:15 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Interesting Mike! Indeed a change from your normal. Going to donate it to Standen House? Or drive your wife mad by keeping it on the dining room table?
Old 08-31-2020, 02:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Looking nice. I was enjoying your post until I got to the dormer windows bit. Now I'm frozen with fear. Good Luck, Carruthers!
Old 08-31-2020, 03:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Have you considered enlarging it? Just kidding
Old 08-31-2020, 07:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
El Escorial is a fascinating complex. Will look forward to watching your build take shape, Mike.

Wyvern
Google Adsense
Old 09-01-2020, 05:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
looking good mike

Old 09-06-2020, 01:26 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello Mike,. It has been too long since we last posted. I hope that you and Val are keeping safe and staying well. Except for doctor visits, we have stayed at home.so I don't have much to write about. I have done some models, but my back hurts too much to work on something that small for too many hours at a time.

I am pleased to see that you have started on El Escorial. You may remember that I began this model, which as you know, has 433 tiny, tiny dormers to make. I think that is when my macular degeneration began. I began my model in January of 2014 and finished it in November 2014.

I began posting almost immediately. One reply on Jan. 17 was from a fellow named Mike Stamper who wrote: "You've made a good start, but just looking at those dormers makes me dizzy - perhaps I won't get the kit after all". Well, Mike, six years have passed and you had the courage to buy the kit and start it. You can read the rest of the comments on my postings in January 3014.

I hopes that the 433 dormers don't make you dizzy...just don't try to finish them in 1 day. If you make one a day you can make the all of them by a few days into December 2021. Lets hope and pray that the Pandemic doesn't last at long.

I wish you luck and will follow your progress. It is a beautiful model and you will enjoy it. Mike, and all who read this, I pray that you will keep safe and well. The US now has many more new cases a day that any other country in the world.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
Thanks for all the comments and it was good to hear from Thomas. I remembered your comments about a building with many dormers, but I'd forgotten it was the Escorial. I'm making a few dozen at a time and so far I'm enjoying it.

I have now reach the sort of halfway, I'm now onto page two of the drawings and all the roofs are in place. I'm still very impressed with the fit of the parts but with the roofs in place I can now see all the white areas for the dormers..

I can now start on the domes and towers that will make a big difference to the look of the building.

Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
El Escorial-img_0056.jpg   El Escorial-img_0059.jpg   El Escorial-img_0061.jpg  
Old 09-08-2020, 05:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Looking good, sir. Those dormers would definitely scare me off. That many and that size...
Old 09-09-2020, 05:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
In my best Colonel Kurtz voice "The dormers, the dormers."
The building is looking good.
Google Adsense