PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 09-24-2020, 02:52 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Ceresco Longhouse - A Winter Project

The first settlers in what is now the City of Ripon, WI were a group of New Englanders who established a commune based on the work of French philosopher Rene Fourier. They called themselves "the Wisconsin Phalanx" and their settlement "Ceresco," after Ceres, the Roman god of agriculture.

They built two communal longhouses, the first by moving and combining several smaller structures. The second longhouse was purpose-built and most of it still stands in Ripon, though it has been extensively "remuddled."

I have decided to build a cardmodel of the second longhouse for the local historical society. Documentation is scant. The longhouse was built in the 1840s and abandoned by 1860. The few existing photos were taken in the 1800s or early 1900s, and there are no detailed descriptions of the building when it was part of the commune. Also, one section of the building is gone, probably in a fire.

I used the old photos and some measurements of the surviving building to create a scale drawing. The porches are long gone, I drew one possibility that is consistent with the building's neoclassical style and with the simplicity would expect from a Fourierite commune.

The research has been half the fun. The model will be 1:48 scale, built with texture papers from Clever Models, and doors and windows from my "digital parts box." I'll probably do the railings with Evergreen plastic strips. The finished model will be about 30" long.

I've built a few paper aircraft this big, but no buildings. And all the buildings for my model RR are 1:87 scale. This should be interesting. I don't usually do build threads but I'll try to post photos of my progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Ceresco Longhouse - A Winter Project-long-house-railings-sm-.jpg   Ceresco Longhouse - A Winter Project-longhouse-1-.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-24-2020, 03:04 PM

Some Ceresco Trivia

Some interesting trivia about the Wisconsin Phalanx: They were one of the largest Fourierite communes in the U.S.; at their peak, they had over 200 members and farmed 4,000 acres. When the Phalanx dissolved in 1858, it was one of the few American communes that ended with more assets than it had started with. Ripon was founded in 1849 and annexed Ceresco a few years later.

In 1855, several Phalanx members formed a living cooperative and study group called the Ceresco Union. Their doctrines included religious free thinking and interpersonal free love. A mob of outraged citizens from Ripon drove them out of town.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, Sakrison. You’ve undertaken an interesting project in modeling your Ceresco Longhouse. As a fellow Northener, (Minnesota) I have an interest in our shared territorial and early state histories. I hadn’t heard of the Longhouse or the commune before, but I know that various religious and lifestyle sects found their way west in the hope of escaping the sometimes violent detractors in established towns and cities.

As you’re looking to build a 30 inch long model, I thought I’d relay some of my experiences. Attached find a photograph of my 46 inch long Nürburging pit row that I built from a Bauer kit some years ago. In order to support the model, I built it atop a piece of ¼ inch MDF to keep things straight and true. While the MDF backbone makes it heavier, it does keep the model from sagging and wracking when it gets moved around.

Also, I’ve recently been strengthening the flat sections of my larger models with picture framer’s mat board. Rather than glue the board to the inside if the walls, as this would cause the walls to warp, I’ve been using Scotch Double Sided Tape to adhere the mat board. It will cost a few dollars for the tape, but it will keep the walls flat and strong, something to think about in a model that will be handled by less careful hands.

You might consider having your porch fittings cut from thin plywood by a laser cutter. I’m guessing your elevation of the Longhouse was created on your computer, so you’re already halfway there in designing your laser-cut porch.

Just a few ideas on your interesting project. Please keep us posted on your progress.

P.S. At over 200 feet long with a width of 32 feet, the building would have been perfect for conversion into a rope walk after its commune days.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Ceresco Longhouse - A Winter Project-img_0935.jpg  
Old 09-25-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb Dog View Post
As you’re looking to build a 30 inch long model, I thought I’d relay some of my experiences.
Thumb Dog
I am grateful for your advice. I do plan to build the model on a hardboard base. Your suggestion about double-sided tape is very good. Having the porch rails laser-cut would certainly save me a lot of trouble. I will price it out.

I may also build a case for the model, which would eliminate the problem of errant fingers poking at details.

Thanks again. Your suggestions are much appreciated!
--David
Old 09-25-2020, 09:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Fascinating history and structure.

Wyvern
Google Adsense
Old 09-26-2020, 07:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I always enjoy your posts, David. Thank you for the information on the Wisconsin Phalanx community and the longhouse structure and for the discussion of your research and building methods.

Don