PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 01-08-2021, 07:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
There is (was) a good model of Stonehenge now ... issued by the Kartonmodell Museum in Heidelburg, but their Website appears to be closed down. It might be worth a Web Archive search.
kartonmodellmuseum.de
Attached Thumbnails
Stonehenge (Schreiber) 1:250-s60089930.jpg  
Old 01-09-2021, 04:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
There is (was) a good model of Stonehenge now ... issued by the Kartonmodell Museum in Heidelburg, but their Website appears to be closed down. It might be worth a Web Archive search.
kartonmodellmuseum.de
This wonderful model was 'created and produced' in 2001 by Artists Brian and Lizzie Sanders. Of course it was sold at Stonehenge itself, and i managed to get in contact Mr Sanders to get a few copies for my internet shop. I still have few.
Years ago I saw the copy at Heidelberg, where I got a very useful tip.

NB: all stones in this model are different, and individually painted! Average height ca.4,5 cms. Base 38,5 x 38,5 cms. To get very lifelike models:
- score very lightly, and bend rather than fold.
- glue leaving bottom open, and let dry and harden.
- now make up a generous amount of scraps of tissue paper and start filling up the stone, adding some glue regularly. While this mass is still pliable, apply some force to the outside of the stone to get a natural shape without any visible angles.Finally, close the stone and let dry and harden.

Sounds messy - it is, and some practising with extra copies is a good idea. I also saw this technique applied to domes and smoke box doors of fairly large steam locomotive models. When building the famous model of Tintin's moonrocket I strengthened the domes it stands on this way, to prevent them sagging.

Contact me if you are interested in a copy!
Attached Thumbnails
Stonehenge (Schreiber) 1:250-stonehenge-cover-web-.jpg   Stonehenge (Schreiber) 1:250-kuifje4.jpg  
Old 01-09-2021, 12:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
If you want a version without all the straight lines, the kit made by the Saunders is the kit to buy.

I made it years ago - it seems to be to scale and there isn't a single straight line - except the base.

Stonehenge

So, how about a "Then and Now" collection?

Cheers
Mike
Old 01-02-2022, 05:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 111.53 MB
Stonehenge as it is today....

I can't remember which kit this was but I scanned it and shrank it a little.

It's one of my favourite models but was pretty fiddly - not many straight lines!

I loved taking the photos - getting close in around the stones to make you feel like you could almost be there! When you compare it with photos of the real thing it's surprising how closely the model resembles it.

Happy New Year to all too

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Stonehenge (Schreiber) 1:250-20210630_152432.jpg   Stonehenge (Schreiber) 1:250-20210630_152706.jpg   Stonehenge (Schreiber) 1:250-20210630_152738.jpg   Stonehenge (Schreiber) 1:250-20210630_153726.jpg   Stonehenge (Schreiber) 1:250-20210630_152852.jpg  

Old 01-02-2022, 05:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 111.53 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diderick A. den Bakker View Post
This wonderful model was 'created and produced' in 2001 by Artists Brian and Lizzie Sanders.

To get very lifelike models:
- score very lightly, and bend rather than fold.
- glue leaving bottom open, and let dry and harden.
- now make up a generous amount of scraps of tissue paper and start filling up the stone, adding some glue regularly. While this mass is still pliable, apply some force to the outside of the stone to get a natural shape without any visible angles.Finally, close the stone and let dry and harden.
I wish I had known this tip when I assembled my model - might have to make it again! It took a long time to make though (I can imagine the original constructors said the same thing!)

Thanks for the tip Diderick

Rob

Last edited by rickstef; 01-02-2022 at 07:27 AM.
Google Adsense