PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 02-08-2021, 11:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?

Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87?

The next in-between model is the Dutch small diorama water mill with wind drive on the cutting mat.

With twenty-five parts on one A3 sheet, it is a small model in bright colors.

I will build this antiquarian model kit completely in the style of the sixties, without any refinements, only the edges will be colored and the reinforcements that are usual for me will be added.

And off you go, glue the base plate to 1.8 mm gray cardboard, prepare part 2 ... first glue the 0.5 mm thick "roof structure" ...

... then put the roof on it

Sincerely
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?-dscf0002.jpg   Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?-dscf0001.jpg   Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?-dscf0002-2-.jpg   Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?-dscf0003.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-08-2021, 11:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
I like his kits. The parts fit well and the graphics and "old fashioned".

We visited Kinderdijk in Holland. They have 19 windmills some of them are open to visitors. I went to the souvenir shop and found a big box full of kits. I bought one of each of the kits - about 9 of them. Yours was one of them.

I look forward to seeing more of your build!

Cheers
Mike
Old 02-08-2021, 03:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
I built this years ago, and it's still hanging around somewhere. Lovely little thing. Regarding Leon's kits, I've built several where the fit of parts is as Mike says, but beware some of the more elderly ones, which are best forgotten. Does Watergate Sneek ring a bell, Kurt?

Last edited by Philip; 02-08-2021 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 02-08-2021, 11:57 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Kurt - great little kit. Watermills and Windmills are my favourite subject (one of my other interests is grain milling and the technology behind it). Look forward to seeing this come together.

Mike - also had a couple of interesting visits to Kinderdijk - got some great black and white photos. The shop was very under-stocked both times - no kits the one time and only one (a really basic giant A3 windmill which I gave a miss) the second time. The book selection was also very poor.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:05 AM

Hello friends of the wind / water mills?

@ Philip : yes there is ringing a loud bell for the watergate of Sneek

The chimney ... on the roof and the house on the base plate

Garden fences 5 and 6 ... delimit the flowerbed

Sincerely
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?-dscf0004.jpg   Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?-dscf0005.jpg   Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?-dscf0006.jpg   Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?-dscf0007.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-16-2021, 11:36 AM

Part 7 ... reinforce ...

... and place ... continue with the thatched roof ...

... wherever I use cardboard on the bottom ... because on the flaps alone it would have been very shaky

With best regards
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?-dscf0008.jpg   Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?-dscf0009.jpg   Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?-dscf0010.jpg   Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?-dscf0011.jpg   Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?-dscf0012.jpg  

Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?-dscf0013.jpg  
Old 02-21-2021, 12:36 AM

Part 9 ... put on the roof

Part 10 with toothpick glue the axis for the wind turbine ... on top

Sincerely
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?-dscf0014.jpg   Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?-dscf0015.jpg   Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?-dscf0016.jpg   Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?-dscf0017.jpg  
Old 02-24-2021, 10:16 PM

Hi

From insider circles I learned that this is a water scoop mill, thanks to the informant !

But now on ...

Double the wings inside ... The stairs are added while these are drying

The last parts, the rotating wheel? ... which is glued to the upper building

Sincerely
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?-dscf0018.jpg   Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?-dscf0019.jpg   Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?-dscf0020.jpg   Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?-dscf0021.jpg  
Old 02-25-2021, 01:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Nice work Kurt! You know your tricks as well with the internal cardboard reinforcement. The wheel is indeed meant for the miller to turn the windmill blades into the wind. It rotates the head.

This type of mill is called in Dutch "wipmolen". Usually they are equipped with a big (covered) paddlewheel at the side, which is driven by the main blades and that scoops up water from the lower lying and smaller polder canals to the higher and larger drainage canals. I'm not sure why that feature isn't part of the model.
The capacity of the wipmolen is relatively small compared to the bigger mills, as well as the achievable pump head (actual height difference that can be overcome). In the larger mills, the miller and his family found enough space to live but for these smaller wip mills, that wasn't possible. That's why the small house adjacent to it.
These type of mills are quite common in the polder areas of the province of South-Holland where I live. Actually, there's one quite nearby, in the village of Oud Ade, as shown in the picture. It's called Vrouw Venne molen (vrouw is "Frau") and originally dates back from the 17th century.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?-1076_2.jpg  
Old 02-27-2021, 12:44 AM

Hello Erik
Thank you for the comments about the mill!

After drying, glue the second side of the wings ... attach, and the Dutch water pumping mill is ready after six hours of construction in three days of handicraft, a delightful model!

Sincerely
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?-dscf0022.jpg   Watermill - Leon Schuijt - 1:87 ?-dscf0023.jpg  
Google Adsense