PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 12-03-2021, 02:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
That's indeed a very beautiful build of a wonderful structure! The LED lights really give the model a special touch. Good Christmas decoration. Please reveal some of the interior and how you did the lights, would be interesting to know.
I built a sleeper railway car last year and also experimented with LED lights, in fact a light strip along the entire ceiling. The lights are dimmable and they give a great plus to the model.

Well done!

Regards,
Erik
Old 12-05-2021, 03:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.90 MB
Erik, thank you.

I purchased two packs of Ashland string LEDs of 14.7' length, one pack for each side of the model. Sounds like a lot but I knew the string would need to go from front to back several times. The packs came with their own battery pack and on/off switch.

I made a small hole in the model base and thread both strings through into the base and another hole in the floor of the front vestibule to bring them up into the model interior. Then thread one string through the bottom gallery which was a little tricky since the string is thin wire and not very stiff, and there are some obstacles along the way. Once at the end of the gallery I took the wire to the upper gallery and thread it through. I did leave a tangle of LEDs where the big round side windows are located, that’s why it looks a bit messy in there. Finally, now back at the front I took the wire up to the roof and was able to thread two lengths right at the base of the roof.

Same thing with the other string for the other side but before starting at the lower gallery I needed some lights in the front which I wrapped around the organ!

I purchased the model from Amazon and I saw you can buy a set of 4x 10' Ashland strings from there which would probably work also. My lights came from Michaels who have a large selection.

I would recommend some black electrical tape to tape down some of the wires. The model is very well made so I did not have really any issues with the dreaded light bleed but the tape was useful to solve any of those issues.

I hope this is helpful. I think the pictures will show what I did.

One last thing about the build. There is a clear sheet that has beautiful window cutouts, I did not realize until the last minute that the sheet has a film that needs to be removed!

Peter
Old 12-05-2021, 03:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.90 MB
Oops, sorry guys, forgot to upload the pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Notre Dame, Paris-img-1311.jpg   Notre Dame, Paris-img_1309.jpg   Notre Dame, Paris-img_1303.jpg   Notre Dame, Paris-img_1304.jpg   Notre Dame, Paris-img_1301.jpg  

Old 12-14-2021, 09:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.25 MB
Thanks for update on lights. it really adds so much to a superb model. Well Done !