PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 01-12-2022, 09:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great images, thanks. And thanks to those who posted links to other resources.

Don
Old 01-12-2022, 09:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.28 MB
Really well done!

They are beautiful models, with the scent of an architectural drawings sketched by hand and with very carefully designed details, including the interiors and ceilings of the sotoportego type passages through the buildings. I found myself the chimneys to be the most tricky, but it is really difficult to make them less flat that they are designed.

If you are not a historical correctness purist yourself, you can supplement the Venice diorama with the Rialto bridge free paper model available at link .
This bridge was built in 1580s and 1590s so it corresponds well with the architectural frame of the city of 1575.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
@Don, glad you liked the pictures. We were there for the Venice Art Biennale and I don't recommend it, Biennale was fabulous but the turist crowds were enourmos. Tha Grand Canal area was flooded with tourists from the massive cruise liners that entered the lagoon every other day. I believe that's not possible anymore. So off-season is my advice.

@Viator, I must confess that it was you and your little houses that infected me to this. I tried to build the chimneys in a more realistic way (both round and rectangular) but it didn't work well at this scale so I'm going as designed. That Rialto brigde model is a gem. Thanks.

Tappi
Old 01-13-2022, 09:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.28 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapcho View Post
(...)

@Viator, I must confess that it was you and your little houses that infected me to this. I tried to build the chimneys in a more realistic way (both round and rectangular) but it didn't work well at this scale so I'm going as designed. That Rialto brigde model is a gem. Thanks.

Tappi
You're welcome!
Rialto is my favourite bridge in Venice, however I have been there only once and for sure I didn't see everything worthy seeing.
And as for the chimneys I came to the same conclusion.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:05 PM

I haven't either Andrew. And that's why I will return there someday again.

Three more houses with sotoportego. Altre tre case con sotoportego. The corridor is quite convincing when lihgt hits there at low angle. Still few more structures to do.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
Venice 1757-three-more.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-13-2022, 01:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Venice Italy is really a strange city. Building a city on water, gave a psychological sense of protection, but the mold and rats probably killed more.

Anyhow, I did enjoy my visit there years ago.

Isaac
Old 01-13-2022, 04:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
It wasn't really as nasty back then as it was after Napoleon. Before him, the flow of the canals was where water flowed. Napoleon straightened streets, straightened canals, and generally thwarted the natural flushing of the canals with the tides.

He also started dredging the basin to allow deep draft ships. He also expanded the landfill expansion and filled in many of the canals to make streets. Dredging the basin undermined the islands and increased the volume of water affected by the tides.

Progress ruined a lot
Old 01-14-2022, 05:04 AM

Venice is an old city and has seen many development phases. And still does. Down town Helsinki where I lived (before moving to the suburbs) is based on wooden piles just like Venice. Finnish architects and engineers have worked in Venice too solving their structural challenges.

Balcony/balcone - oppartunity or threat? I tried three different methods and certainly need more testing and practicing. When things get small they get very small.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
Venice 1757-balconies.jpg  
Old 01-15-2022, 03:34 AM

I decided to go with one layer of paper with the balconies. So I colour the inside myself. That gives me two balconies out of one piece. That's a good thing because I have more houses too.

Two other things I made this morning are one bridge and small steps leading to canal waterline. The arches of venetian bridges are steep but in this kit they are a bit too pronounced. I tried to help the looks of making some steps on both ends. This is another typical venetian feature but the steps are not. Compared to normal steps these follow the curvature of the arch. Bit suprising at least when you're walking down. But when you know it it's ok.

Stairs down to waterline can be found anywhere in Venice. All sizes, shapes and material choices. Private, public, corporate you name it. On housefronts, besides bridges and definately on squares besides canal. So I'll be making those too. These are not represented in Oonirico's set but wery easy to make from the street paving parts he included.

Bridges, steps, balconies, chimneys etc. will keep mee busy for a while so I return to this when something more interesting is taking place.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
Venice 1757-balcony-part.jpg   Venice 1757-two-balconies.jpg   Venice 1757-scored-pre-folded-colored.jpg   Venice 1757-wooden-balconies.jpg   Venice 1757-bridge-steps.jpg  

Old 01-16-2022, 10:12 AM

This progress I think is interesting. ;-) The neighbourhood church of my choice had a bell tower but it was presented flat like the chimneys. I wanted to change that and give it proper 3D look. The other thing I wanted to 'my Venice' was a skywalk kinda stucture. Similar to the famous 'Bridge of Sighs' downtown Venice.

So here you are my fellow modelers: torre campanaria and passarella. Good exercises in the middle of repetitive work with chimneys and balconies.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
Venice 1757-torre-campanaria-passarella.jpg  
Google Adsense