PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 03-22-2022, 02:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.61 MB
Mont Saint Michel - Canon

I've been avoiding this kit mainly because of the East face, especially the lower part wich don't have no detailing at all, just drawings of the other houses of Saint Michel. I would love to build all of the houses that are present on the real place, but the kits I know that are more detailed, like the ones from L'Instant Durable and Le Maquette Papier, are very rare nowadays, and if you get the luck to find one, will certainly be very expensive.

So because of that, I decided to build the free Canon version, although it misses the detail I wanted on where I mentioned before, it still has enough detail on the rest of the model to appeal me, and one more reason to build it was that although there are already build threads on Mont-Saint-Michel, I didn't saw anyone finishing the model, and I can relate to this( both of the paid kits are really scary!!!(on the difficult, at least)

Right now I'm building the abbey and on the second sheet of parts. For now here's an picture of what I've built so far.

Cheers,

Gregory
Attached Thumbnails
Mont Saint Michel - Canon-sheet-3.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-22-2022, 03:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
I've never seen a finished one either. I had a go at it myself some time ago but I found that getting the terrain parts to fit was beyond my abilities and I abandoned it. So be warned. I wish you all the best with your project though - up and at 'em!
Old 03-22-2022, 08:04 PM

Some progress... Added the front parts on the abbey, as well as the butresses. now I will start adding all the structures that goes around the abbey.

Cheers,
Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Mont Saint Michel - Canon-butresses-added.jpg  
Old 03-23-2022, 08:19 PM

Finished adding all the structures that goes around the abbey. Next, I'll be adding the last wall/stairs of the abbey as well the foundation parts wich are also the beggining of the terrain part.

Cheers,
Gregory
Attached Thumbnails
Mont Saint Michel - Canon-sheet-4-.jpg  
Old 03-24-2022, 02:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.28 MB
I was considering twice making this model but I gave up exactly due to these unrealistic "lying houses" which look really terrible. I never understood why the author didn't made them at least as a flat but vertical "silhouette models" of facades, it would have looked so much better and could have made a good base for upgrading.

Maybe someone here can help with the 3D-modelling of the remaining buildings as an addition to the original Canon set?
Old 03-24-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viator View Post
I was considering twice making this model but I gave up exactly due to these unrealistic "lying houses" which look really terrible. I never understood why the author didn't made them at least as a flat but vertical "silhouette models" of facades, it would have looked so much better and could have made a good base for upgrading.

Maybe someone here can help with the 3D-modelling of the remaining buildings as an addition to the original Canon set?
I was thinking exactly that!! Canon could choose this and other older models and add extra detail to them. It would make those models more appealing to build, but speaking of Mont-Saint-Michel only, an upgrade of the kit would probably duplicate or triplicate the difficulty of the entire kit, but I certainly would built the upgraded version much earlier.

Cheers,
Gregory
Old 03-24-2022, 09:36 AM

I finished adding the front walls/terrain of the abbey yesterday, and today I'll be making all the back tarrain part of the mont.

Cheers,
Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Mont Saint Michel - Canon-sheet-5.jpg  
Old 03-24-2022, 05:22 PM

Now the back and side terrain are complete. Now the last phase is to build all the front parts.

Cheers,
Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Mont Saint Michel - Canon-sheet-6.jpg   Mont Saint Michel - Canon-sheet-7.jpg  
Old 03-24-2022, 07:28 PM

Added the front terrain parts, and added the walls on the east side. Final phase is to add all structures that goes on the lowest part of the mont.

Cheers,
Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Mont Saint Michel - Canon-sheet-8.jpg   Mont Saint Michel - Canon-sheet-8_1.jpg  
Old 03-24-2022, 09:39 PM

Finished the kit a couple of minutes ago. Here's the photos of all faces of the mount. It's an easy kit, in my opinion, the part I liked the most was the abbey and the structures around it and of course the part I liked the least was the East Face, for the reasons I've said before... As an souvenir gift it's perfect, but if you are an experienced builder, I advise you to try L'Instant Durable or Le Maquette Papier kits, as they are more detailed.

Cheers,
Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Mont Saint Michel - Canon-finished_model_south.jpg   Mont Saint Michel - Canon-finished_model_east.jpg   Mont Saint Michel - Canon-finished_model_north.jpg   Mont Saint Michel - Canon-finished_model_west.jpg  
Google Adsense