PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 04-10-2022, 12:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
My Micromodel's architectural models

I am long time fan of Micromodel's and expecially the architectural ones. I love building them and they make a fine presentation when finnished. And because they're so small they are real space savers for a modeler.

First one is MicroModel's St. Peters Rome and Vatican set (Arc XXII). Since I want to save the originals intact (just to show interested friends how the model was before building) I always copy the sheets and build from those. At that time my printer had only black ink so 'shades of gray' was the name of the game.

Black and white presentation also gives the kit a kind of historic look and feel don't you think. I did add some color to it though, some foliage to a park and some backyard garden and I gilded the cross on top of the dome. Other modifications to the kit was opening the spaces between pilars of the colonnades, adding some 3D volume to the facade and if I remember right working with the stairs to some extent. And chimneys, boy did I cut some chimneys. hope you like what I achieved.

This is the first model here in this thread, more to come soon.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
My Micromodel's architectural models-mm-kit.jpg   My Micromodel's architectural models-0verview-1.jpg   My Micromodel's architectural models-overview-2.jpg   My Micromodel's architectural models-aerial-view.jpg   My Micromodel's architectural models-dome.jpg  

My Micromodel's architectural models-some-color.jpg   My Micromodel's architectural models-colonades.jpg   My Micromodel's architectural models-backyard.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-10-2022, 02:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
I've built a fair few Micromodels in my time, although not this one, so I know how difficult it is to build a model as sweet as this. Well done, mate. Your monochrome version does have an ambiance of it's own.
Old 04-10-2022, 02:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
Nice Model!

Having made it I can appreciate the amount of time and effort you have spent on the model.

I have a "love/Hate" relationship with St Peter's.
Many years ago I made the model. I even cut out the black areas between the pillars. I was told that if you stand in the centre only the the inner rows of pillars can be seen.

My memory is not that good, but I think there are about 60 pieces just to make the dome! I love the model but the real thing is not one of my favourite places. Even with timed tickets it took ages to get in to the Cathedral. There were more people trying to get in than I've seen at any of the London main line stations in the middle of the rush hour. The crowd in the Sistine Chapel showed no respect for the building and there was a continuous shouting from the staff of "Quiet Please" which had no effect on the noise level.
Old 04-11-2022, 03:22 AM

Thanks Philip and Mike, I'm very glad you like this creation. I've been in Romecouple of times and visited Vatican twice. Both times we're off-season times during winter so it wasn't so bad. If there ever will be third time I'll climb up to the dome, kids did that when we were there whole family.

About the dome Mike your recollection is right, plenty of parts and don't even talk about colouring those edges. I must have had black fingertips for weeks after that. The colonnades have four rows pilars and believe or not I was considering adding one them inside this too. I'm glad I didn't though.

Cheers,

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
My Micromodel's architectural models-dome-colonnade-parts.jpg  
Old 04-11-2022, 04:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 128.81 MB
That's pretty amazing!! I love the black/white/grey - I thought about doing a Model Shipwright boat in such a scheme ����✂️
Google Adsense
Old 04-11-2022, 06:39 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
What a wonderful model. I really like the monochrome twist. It actually adds to the model, in my opinion. Great work!
Old 04-11-2022, 09:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Superb model, Tappi.

The availability of shades of gray only turned out to be a fortunate coincidence, as (with the addition of your skill and talent) it resulted in a uniquely beautiful rendition.

Don
Old 04-11-2022, 01:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, Tapcho. That’s a very clean and straight build of your Saint Peter’s Rome & Vatican Micromodel. To my eye, the black and white print of the model’s ancient surroundings reminds me of the etchings of the Renaissance masters. The stark black ink on clean white paper holds a power all its own. I still enjoy building the occasional plastic ship model in its factory grey plastic, with no paint applied. It lets me see the lines of the ship without the distraction of color. Well done.

I had to look up Vantaa to find out where it is. We have quite a few Finns here in Minnesota, as they immigrated here around the turn of the 20th century to work in the Iron Range in northern Minnesota. They were for a time the largest minority in the Range, outnumbering the other Scandinavians, Welsh and eastern Europeans who also came here.

Your post inspired me to enter a thread about my odd collection of Micromodels. If you’re interested, it can be found here:

Old, Old Micromodels

My Micromodels present quite a different story.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 04-12-2022, 12:00 AM

Thank you gentlemen for your kind words. I had a hunch that 'shades of grey' could tempt some of you. When one seeks references of ancient subjects there's a good change you'll find some lovely period etchings to work with. That is the case with the next model but more of that little later.

I don't have ancestors in USA but some of my friends do. And quite many finns do for that matter. There's been made many studies in recent years of the Finnish settlements around Americas (Canada and South America too) so their history, habits and culture are alive here aswell.

Cheers,

Tappi
Old 04-12-2022, 02:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 604.42 MB
I too have the Vatican City and recall cutting out the black areas between the colonnade columns; the result was so weak and wobbly that I put the part assembled kit away for quite a few years before resuming it. The usual solution with the dome for lesser mortals was to carve it out of balsa wood but as this just wouldn't have fitted in with the Micromodels ethos of perfection at all costs, even at risk of one's sanity, I used the tiny petal design in the kit. And am, no doubt, a much better person as a result!
Google Adsense