PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 05-12-2022, 11:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.61 MB
Byodoin's Phoenix Hall - Canon

Always wanted to build this kit, but there's some pieces, especifically the parts for numbers 21M and 25M that held back my desire of bulding it for a long time, not because of the difficulty of building those parts, but mainly because of the size, because it's very easy to lose them when working on them. However, about 2 months ago, I made an test and tried to build only those pieces I mentioned, and it's surprinsingly buildable, but you have to pay attention to not lose them as they are very small and once you lost them will be a nightmare to find them.

But yesteday I finally started the kit and so far I built the main hall roof(top and bottom) and I'm eager to show the progress here, as I never saw one finished, as the only thread about the kit I've found here is years old and the thread owner said that his build got damaged while moving to a new house...

Can't wait to see finished result!!

Cheers,
Gregory
Attached Thumbnails
Byodoin's Phoenix Hall - Canon-byodoin_phoenix_hall.jpg   Byodoin's Phoenix Hall - Canon-main_hall_roof_top_-_bottom.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-13-2022, 10:33 AM

Now I know that this kit is for sure challenging. And I feel that's important to emphasize that this isn't a kit where you can rush in the building, mainly because of the complexity it has. But I made some progress and the main hall base as well it's pillars are complete, next step is to build the second roof of the main hall, both top and bottom.

Cheers,
Gregory
Attached Thumbnails
Byodoin's Phoenix Hall - Canon-main_hall_pillars.jpg  
Old 05-13-2022, 11:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Fine start Gregory. I will follow this because these Canon Creative Asian buildings are very interesting.

Tappi
Old 05-13-2022, 03:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
looking good - keep up the good work!
Old 05-14-2022, 10:02 AM

After struggling a litlle with the last roof assembly of the mail hall, I managed to got it sorted. I decided to not glue the top roof yet, just because of this: did you guys remember the bird decorations on the top of the roof I posted before?
Well, for me, they end being very flimsy after being cut, even after joining the halves of the roof. So, since I knew that I'd be fiddling with the main hall structure while building the floors and the base, I could damage the bird decorations very easily.

Now that I finished the main hall, I moved foward and also did the floors that span around the building as well the very end section where the tall corridor goes. Now I'll be making the entire base of the model, and them the tall corridor itself.

Cheers,

Gregory
Attached Thumbnails
Byodoin's Phoenix Hall - Canon-wings_and_tall_corridor_floors.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-14-2022, 01:07 PM

Just built the surface for the base. I joined the parts in a different way, some of you guys may know what I'm gonna say, but I'll leave this as an tip for beginner's who were looking for an solution for this common situation:

The surface parts have gluing spots and they are glued clockwise, one over another. But since I'm using an 240 gsm/m² paper and we all know that if I glued the parts in the intended way, I'd have "bumps" on where parts join together and it would create issues when gluing everything into it, since the surface wouldn't be FLAT.

So, I did the following: I cut away the gluing spots from each piece and joined the parts using that same gluing spots that I just cut. The result is a clean, and the surface is perfectly FLAT, and I shouldn't have issues later.

Info: the base surface measures approx. 34cm by exactly 37cm.

Cheers,

Gregory.
Attached Thumbnails
Byodoin's Phoenix Hall - Canon-base_surface.jpg  
Old 05-14-2022, 02:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Thumbs up

Very interesting building. I built the mini version after having seen a likeness of the building on the back of a 10 yen coin. The mini version is on the Japanese Canon Creative Park site.
Byodoin Phoenix Hall Mini - Japanese Canon Creative Park

Nice way that you are joining the pieces of the base. Sometimes you have to innovate in order to get a better looking final model.
Old 05-14-2022, 03:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.01 MB
This may inspire me to do this build. I visited Byodoin's Phoenix Hall three and a half years ago. I think it is one of the most beautiful buildings on earth.

Your build looks great!
Old 05-14-2022, 06:53 PM

Finished the base. It was very straight-foward, the only thing I had to modify was the front side pieces, where I applied the same techinique I used to join the surface parts so the gluing spot for the nameplate could be also flat. This allowed me to have a clean look without bumps on the nameplate.

The last thing I need to do before building the tall corridor is to glue the main hall/ wings floor onto the base.

Cheers,

Gregory
Attached Thumbnails
Byodoin's Phoenix Hall - Canon-base_finished.jpg   Byodoin's Phoenix Hall - Canon-base_reinforcements.jpg  
Old 05-15-2022, 10:15 AM

Yesterday, I glued the main hall/wing floors/ tall corridor floor to the base, and also I built the tall corridor and then glued it into the floor. Now I'll start doing the wings, it probably will be the longest phase of the kit, based on the complexity of the structure. And also here I'll face the smallest pieces of the kit.

Cheers,
Gregory
Attached Thumbnails
Byodoin's Phoenix Hall - Canon-main_hall_tall_corridor_front.jpg   Byodoin's Phoenix Hall - Canon-main_hall_tall_corridor_side.jpg  
Google Adsense

Tags
byodoin, hall, japan, phoenix