PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 05-15-2022, 09:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Farm Crest Bakeries, Columbus, OH - 1/450 scale

This is my first build, a papercraft restoration of the endangered Farm Crest Bakeries factory in Columbus, originally completed in 1949. There aren't a lot of color images of the original so I decided to base the colors on some of the older remnant layers visible on the building.

This was actually my second 3D model design, but the first that actually unfolded in a satisfactory way. I'm using Pepakura for the unfold, and the texturing was done in Paint.

Overall I'm pretty happy with this as a first step. Now I need to pick out a simpler second building and do a head-to-head test of raster versus vector graphics for texture work. In either case, I'm definitely using something with proper layer support next time. So much rework.

Google Adsense
Old 05-16-2022, 06:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Almost smell the bread and rolls, Nice
Enjoy
Miles
Old 05-16-2022, 07:00 AM

Would you believe that it gets even better than that? This was exclusively a cookie bakery. I can't imagine how great that neighborhood must have been, once.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
For a little over a year, I had to do monthly trips to the Folgers Coffee neighborhood in northern downtown Kansas City. That was wonderful
Old 05-16-2022, 09:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Hard to believe this is your first build!

You have certainly captured the look of that building, and the construction is clean and precise.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 05-16-2022, 02:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Nice building. What made you choose it as a subject?
Old 05-16-2022, 03:32 PM

Thanks! I follow some urban development forums and found this because it's a newly endangered building. The area is slowly being redeveloped and while the original proposal would have kept the office section, the updated proposal will likely see the entire building torn down.

I'm definitely getting into this primarily as a way to get a collection of tiny skyscrapers for my desk, but I also like the idea of memorializing overlooked and forgotten relics.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I applaud your efforts.

One of the buildings here that I wish I had known the history on was torn down in the 70's for a new farmer's market/parking lot.

The Weston Wagon Shop located on Lexington Avenue in Independence, Missouri. Independence was the start of the Santa Fe, California and Oregon Trails. The wagon trains would line up on Lexington Avenue to head out. It is estimated that Weston produced between 40% and 55% of the wagons used.

All that is left is a bronze plaque

Keep up the good work
Old 05-17-2022, 09:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It's a worthy project - and (in my opinion) to use paper modeling as a way to preserve the appearance of historic buildings. Your desk sounds like an interesting place.

I see some correlation between your project an Andrew (Viator's) Nekomura Japanese town project (Small Japanese shops (1/300)), Tapcho's recreation of 18th century Venice (Venice 1757), and other such aggregate architecture projects.

Don
Old 05-17-2022, 11:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.27 GB
I used to work at KMBC ch 9 (Kansas City) in the basement of the Lyric Theater and when we would emerge from the basement, 2 floors underground, to go to lunch we would sniff the air and say "Ah it must be a French Roast day". It certainly smelled better than the pork rendering plant down by the Kansas River.

I am currently trying to recreate some of the significant landmarks of Fort Madison Iowa for an N-scale layout. As a RR town with both the Santa Fe and the CB&Q as well as the Schaeffer Pen plant it had some pretty cool old buildings. Main Street Illinois models are a great place to start and GIMP is getting a workout.

As a nod to preserving past glories I am including the Old Opera house on Front St (Ave H) which burned down in 1915. It really was a grand looking edifice.

Keep those fading memories alive!

David

aka Formely Styrene
Google Adsense