PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 01-14-2010, 12:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
CT Ertz: Western Blockhouse

As a change of pace, I built CT Ertz' Western Blockhouse, an example of a defensive structure used to protect settlers during the western expansion.

The model couldn't be simpler to build- it is all right angles and straight lines to cut! Building took just a few hours, including time to let glue dry and make some butt-joint tabs. I think the basic kit is also a good platform for super-detailing, for those so inclined- cutting out the firing slits, adding additional detail to the door, a stove pipe, weathering, etc.

One suggestion to Corey would be to scale the model from 1:87 to 1:72/1:76/HO, to make it more compatible with all the readily available Western/ACW figures and with train layouts.

Let's hope Corey continues to turn his talents to historic buildings from the Old West!

Wyvern

Google Adsense
Old 01-14-2010, 03:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.66 GB
Hey Wyvern; Very excellent build, that building looks pretty cool! I hope Cory does more buildings too.
Jeff
Old 01-14-2010, 04:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Good job Wyvern. Just to let you know, I actually have a number of them started. Between trying to finish my Palmetto State and tracking down all of my files to reinstall on this computer I am unsure when I will have them ready. I will rescale thm as wll.

As of date I have a portrait studio started, an 1880s little yellow house, and the Gregory 1st National Back from 1880s Gregory,South Dakota! Oh yah, and a generic US Marshals office and jail. But, now I have to find them if I evr want to complete them!

CT
Old 01-14-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct ertz View Post
Good job Wyvern. Just to let you know, I actually have a number of them started. Between trying to finish my Palmetto State and tracking down all of my files to reinstall on this computer I am unsure when I will have them ready. I will rescale thm as wll.

As of date I have a portrait studio started, an 1880s little yellow house, and the Gregory 1st National Back from 1880s Gregory,South Dakota! Oh yah, and a generic US Marshals office and jail. But, now I have to find them if I evr want to complete them!

CT
I know it'll all come together, CT! I think a lot of people are holding their collective breath waiting for your 1:72 CSS Palmetto State.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
I got another one for you! I found this while reinstalling files. I will get it fixed up with the texts soon.

It is a US Army Officer's winter or semi permanent quarters. During thee Civil War, during the winter soldiers made huts. The inlisted men generally dug down two feet and and built up a two foot wall of logs or dirt, then topping the place with a tent. Officer's often built all above ground huts. In this hut, the wood walls are planks rather then logs and the glass window would have been "borrowed" from the same plantation that the planks came from. Note to the wood flooring and deck. Although quite extravagant by Civil War standards, these winter hut were crowded. This one would have house two to four peopl in the to by 15 foot area. Not two the door and fire place, both are on the same wall.This was also common, as it freed up wall space for bunks.

The best fire places were stone and mud or brick and mud bases, with a mud lined wooded upper. these varied widely in quality, some using old pork barrels for the tops!

Any how, I will have it and the enlisted version soon.:D
Attached Thumbnails
CT Ertz: Western Blockhouse-offtentpost.jpg   CT Ertz: Western Blockhouse-offtentpostb.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-15-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct ertz View Post
I got another one for you! I found this while reinstalling files. I will get it fixed up with the texts soon.

It is a US Army Officer's winter or semi permanent quarters. During thee Civil War, during the winter soldiers made huts. The inlisted men generally dug down two feet and and built up a two foot wall of logs or dirt, then topping the place with a tent. Officer's often built all above ground huts. In this hut, the wood walls are planks rather then logs and the glass window would have been "borrowed" from the same plantation that the planks came from. Note to the wood flooring and deck. Although quite extravagant by Civil War standards, these winter hut were crowded. This one would have house two to four peopl in the to by 15 foot area. Not two the door and fire place, both are on the same wall.This was also common, as it freed up wall space for bunks.

The best fire places were stone and mud or brick and mud bases, with a mud lined wooded upper. these varied widely in quality, some using old pork barrels for the tops!

Any how, I will have it and the enlisted version soon.:D
Very cool! I'll certainly build it. My nephews are Civil War fiends.