PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 12-24-2009, 01:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A Dave Graffam Christmas

The grandsons will arrive soon. Among their gifts are some Dave Graffam model buildings (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/sale-owner/6383-new-30mm-papercraft-models-now-available-dave-graffam-models.html) that I purchased through Chris Gutzmer’s ECardmodels.com (Dave Graffam Models - ECardmodels.com Shop - Downloadable models and crafts for builders of all).

I printed out several sets, put them in big envelopes and conjured up personalized cover sheets (see first two photos below).

In order to spark their interest and provide examples, I built the Bait Shop. I’m out of practice and the chimney tilts a little, but I think they will still get the idea (third photo).

The Old Troll has spoken very highly of these models (see, for example: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/design-threads/5475-dagobahdaves-model-designs-3.html) and I was thinking of him as I was cutting and gluing today. It must have been a hoot when he was still on active duty, given his range of interests and activities:

Somewhere on the high seas the slim gray shape of a U.S. warship slips through the water. On the bridge, this conversation takes place:

“We are standing into danger. Where is Mr. Spencer?”

“He’s in the wardroom, Captain, painting elves.”

Best wishes to all for the Holidays and for much model building in the New Year.

More later,

Don
Attached Thumbnails
A Dave Graffam Christmas-dgm-christmas-09-01a.jpg   A Dave Graffam Christmas-dgm-christmas-09-02a.jpg   A Dave Graffam Christmas-bait-shop-01a.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-24-2009, 02:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
the fact that you made up a "package"...all printed and ready to go...
thats fantastic!
I would be thrilled to get this!

have a good one!!
Old 12-24-2009, 03:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Who wouldn't love that as a gift! I really like the Bait Shop and the chimney couldn't look more perfect.
Hope the grandsons enjoy building theirs!
Chris
Old 12-24-2009, 07:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Those models look great Don. I'm sure the boys will love them.
I tried painting elves once - but they move around too much.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Grandkids are one of the true joys in this world. With all the special attention that Grand Papa put in to these gifts they will be special to them.

Merry Christmas and Best Wishes Don

Jim
Old 12-25-2009, 08:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I wish I had grandkids but it seems I have to wait another several years perhaps. While waiting, for them I will prepare some nice paper model kits as you built…

Merry Christmas to you and yours Don

Yu
Old 01-01-2010, 04:33 PM

Our youngest son and his family left a couple of hours ago after a terrific week-long Christmas holiday with us. We had a lot of fun and, as you can see below, the Boose Boys (Grandpapa Boose; Don Boose 4, 14; and Christopher Boose, 9) managed to build some of the Dave Graffam kits, which went together very well.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
A Dave Graffam Christmas-dgm-christmas-10a.jpg   A Dave Graffam Christmas-dgm-christmas-11a.jpg   A Dave Graffam Christmas-dgm-christmas-12a.jpg   A Dave Graffam Christmas-dgm-christmas-14a.jpg  
Old 01-01-2010, 04:44 PM

We did other things, as well, as you can see from these photos. The bearded fellow is Don Boose 3. In the first photo, he and the grandsons are commissioning the Christmas tree with a silver paper and cardboard star he and his sister made in Korea in 1971. We hand-made all our ornaments that year and we still use those ornaments on our tree.

It is a tradition that on Christmas Eve, I read A Child's Christmas in Wales, from a book given to us in 1970 by my old buddy and member of this Forum as "JimR." A relatively new tradition is a Christmas Eve concert by the Boose Brothers String Duo.

We also go to Strasburg, Pennsylvania, every Christmas holiday to ride the train and to visit the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum.

Traditionally, our oldest son, Ed, a retired Marine Chief Warrant Officer and sometime paper modeler who teaches aerial navigation at Randolph Field sends gifts designed to aggravate his nephews parents. This year it was marshmallow shooters. He sent one to daughter-in-law, Judy, too, so she could defend herself.

In the final photo, Don3 and Christopher commit aviation with a radio controlled helicopter.

Happy New Year, everyone! We hope your holiday was as much fun as ours.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
A Dave Graffam Christmas-010asmall.jpg   A Dave Graffam Christmas-022asmall.jpg   A Dave Graffam Christmas-038asmall.jpg   A Dave Graffam Christmas-001a.jpg   A Dave Graffam Christmas-037asmall.jpg  

Old 01-01-2010, 04:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Aha! Finally we have photographic proof of who really built all those models you had at the convention!

LOL - as to your proposed naval scenario, Don - In my early (enlisted) days it would have been 1/72 scale plastics and then later I would have been in the Missile Control Center of a Poseidon submarine as dungeon master for a session of "Empire of the Petal Throne." In my time as an officer on aircraft carriers it was 15mm Napoleonic armies being painted for hire. One of my finest moments was at dinner in the Admiral's mess (I was on Carrier Group 4 staff) when he ( Admiral Byron E. Fuller) discovered most of a Russian regiment with supporting artillery concealed among the table decorations and place settings.

The railroad museum photo brings back memories of my time at Navy Ships Parts Control Center in Mechanicsburg, PA. I believe I have a similar photo from one of our many visits there (I was into HO model railroading at the time...)

Peace, joy and happy paper modeling in the new year - and you really should try building one yourself, Don.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 23.50 MB
Very nice family and very nice traditions, and all paper modelers.
When I am grandfather also, I will follow your likeable example.

Best wishes for a happy New Year to you, Don and to your friendly family.

Orazio
Google Adsense