PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Architectural Models

Old 08-02-2010, 07:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Another FG Model hits the stash

Hi All,

I have been tinkering about with Fiddlers Green buildings for a while and while enjoying adding to my stash of built up models for a future rail road layout, sometimes I come across an odd one. In this case, a model of the Robert Burns' Cottage caught my eye. The original is in Scotland in a small park around the places that the Poet wrote about in some of his best loved poems. It has been restored to what it looked like in his early days and features local folks dressed in period costumes showing it and related structures and a small museum to the public.

While the model loosely resembles the structure, it isn't an exact copy by any stretch of the imagination. But it is still an enjoyable little model to build and can be accomplished in a couple of hours by even the most inexperienced. I like to take an extra copy or two and section the buildings I make by opening up windows, doors and other features then adding a piece behind and/or in front of these openings to give them a more 3D appearance. Since the model doesn't really resemble the original that closely, I just chose to make it as a small country cottage with a little landscaping added. The curved shape of the building was used to make it conform to the bit of land along a curve in the road where it is in reality. I added a pair of concrete pads to the front of the two front doors since the model had a step up to reach the level of the doors printed on the piece.

Since there were a few things printed on the sides, front and back of the buildings walls such as bushes, a box, sacks, an old fashioned wooden pitchfork and a broom, I used landscaping materials, tissue and parts of the spare pieces that I printed out as well as some styrene rod and strip to make these parts and add them to the places where they were printed. It adds to the 3D look and covers up the printed bits on the walls.

Since the back door to the place was at the ground level and had no step printed at its' bottom, I chose to model a gravel path with shrubs edging it. I also added a small tree to sort of break up the back yard a bit. Shrubs were used to divide the property into a front and rear yard for visual interest.

Google Adsense
Old 08-02-2010, 10:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 36.10 MB
Nice work. Great landscaping.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:30 PM

Thanks Rixtoys,

I do like these simple little FG kits, they are a welcome relief from other more intense builds like ships or aircraft. Tinkering around with the landscaping is just practice for when I add them to a model rail road layout.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Very nice building and all the little extras really do help bring it to life. I have had many many hours of enjoyment with railway buildings... the little bits here and there seem to draw you in, you become part of the thing you are building - i used to look though the windows to try and get a perspective to the outside world from within the model. Nice work treadhead1952
Old 08-03-2010, 10:22 PM

Thanks Peter,

I do have fun building up these little building kits from Fiddlers' Green, as simple as they are, adding a little depth to them improves the look. I use my camera to get a feeling for how they will look on the rail road layout later on. Another nice thing about the FG models is that you can print some out in Z Scale to use to force perspective on an N Scale layout in close quarters or narrow spaces. Others that are larger can be printed out and assembled as flats or with less than their full depth to add back ground to the layout.
Google Adsense
Old 08-04-2010, 06:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Nice! That will look great on your layout.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Forum Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadhead1952 View Post
Thanks Peter,

I do have fun building up these little building kits from Fiddlers' Green, as simple as they are, adding a little depth to them improves the look. I use my camera to get a feeling for how they will look on the rail road layout later on. Another nice thing about the FG models is that you can print some out in Z Scale to use to force perspective on an N Scale layout in close quarters or narrow spaces. Others that are larger can be printed out and assembled as flats or with less than their full depth to add back ground to the layout.
I wish i still had my layout.. it went all the way round our dining room {with the help of two drop in boards. Have you ever seen one of the live steam Z Scale loco's.. they are superb. If i was to start over, i would go for N or Z and not the OOHO Scale, i had a one foot depth to work on, and a tad deeper in the corner structures. My layout is here :
A railway layout Hope you like it.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Eternal Member

nice build the bard of scotland a few lines i remember

to a mouse.

I'm truly sorry Man's dominion
Has broken Nature's social union,
An' justifies that ill opinion,
Which makes thee startle,
At me, thy poor, earth-born companion,
An' fellow-mortal!

Why do I recall them lines twenty odd years after the exam maybe its they are the way I think.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 36.10 MB
Nice layout. Where all your buildings paper?
Old 08-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Forum Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixtoys View Post
Nice layout. Where all your buildings paper?
Hi.. if that question was for me then - 1} thanks for the kind remark and 2} Yes the buildings were all paper/card models with clear plastic inserts for the widows. If the quetion wasn't meant for me, i apologise i think that Jay's building has a far more natural look than those on my layout, i know they're different buildings, but i really like Jay's work here.
Google Adsense