PDA

View Full Version : Sr 71

billy.leliveld
02-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Just finished the P-model SR 71..:D
In my humble opinion it's one of the most incredible planes ever constucted..
The model, 1;50 is quite big,about a foot long.
I didn't had time to post a complete building thread, but I have some remarks for anyone with this one on your 'to do' list.
It's a difficult one, specialy with 'clear' instuctions in Japanese..It took me a while to figure out the numbering of the parts, but there are two, they number parts of the plane, like the landing-gear or the wing separatly from the individual parts, so you have "no 15" as a completed part of the airplane, and "no 15" as just a part...:confused:
The plane has only 2 inside formers! The parts fit quite well, but if you don't known wich shape they are, you are a bit lost.
I found out that the inside parts of the engines were to big, so I just left them out. the black finish is very unforgiving for smudges..it helps a lot to cover it in several layers of matt acrylic varnish

Cheers, Billy

member_3
02-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Beautiful model, Billy. The SR-71 has been a long-time favorite of mine and I have the P-model version printed out. Perhaps your model will inspire me to cut some paper on it!

dansls1
02-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Nice model - thanks for sharing ;)

Don Boose
02-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Great model, Billy. It looks like it was a challenge. I like your lineup of aircraft -- all very interesting planes.

I remember when the "snakes" used to fly out of Kadena in Okinawa for recon missions over Korea. We could hear the sonic boom as they went "feet dry" coming in northwest of Seoul from over the Yellow Sea. I once built a plastic model for an Air Force friend, but didn't know that it was available in paper.

Don

Barry
02-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Looks beatiful

barry

Ashrunner
02-04-2008, 01:39 PM
I remember when the "snakes" used to fly out of Kadena in Okinawa for recon missions over Korea. We could hear the sonic boom as they went "feet dry" coming in northwest of Seoul from over the Yellow Sea. Don

Billy...Gorgeous bird and well made. I attempted the SR-71 several years ago and got about a quarter of the way through when after several misinterpreted steps (those pointing arrows drive my up a wall), I decided it wasn't going to look anything like the Blackbird and sent it to the scrapeyard. You did a very good job on yours.

Don...how can you call the Habu a "snake"? The only "snake" in my opinion is the B-52 (in a SIOP paint scheme). 8v)

P.S. Oh...by the way...I do know what a Habu is...hehehe.

murphyaa
02-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Dumb question time: Where do you get the P-model SR-71. Is it available for download?

I've been trying to find a good model for my Dad, who was on ground maintenance for them during the Vietnam war, and this one looks like it will fit the bill.

billy.leliveld
02-04-2008, 03:03 PM
It's here: http://www.e-papermodels.com/index.php?page=2&sort=2a&cName=models-by-email-pmodel
Cheers, Billy

Don Boose
02-04-2008, 03:26 PM
I definitely defer to Ash when it comes to Air Force slang!

I have to admit that the Air Force guys in Korea and Japan used the nickname "Habu" and not "Snake" for the SR-71. It was we Dogfaces who took the term one step further and, when the sonic boom came, said that the "Snake" had arrived.

I presume that all the others reading this thread have figured out by now that the habu is an Asian poisonous snake and that, due to its hooded cobra appearance, the SR-71 was nicknamed the Habu. There is, by the way, a very interesting website devoted to the SR-71: http://www.habu.org/

Thanks for the website, Billy, and for sharing your splendid model with us.

Don

billy.leliveld
02-04-2008, 03:29 PM
BTW, there is Mike Bauer's huge,(it realy can fly)and free model, I don't know where to get it at this moment, but you can PM me..
Cheers, Billy

CMDRTED
02-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Very nice Billy! Murhyaa, the e-papermodels was going out of the hard copy business, you may have to get it from the source-http://www.pmodel.net/ You have to purchase a think from c-check which is an Asian bank card, sort of like a phone card, they give you an access/acct number in which to buy the pmodel passwords. I had the instructions somewhere and I'll look for them. Good luck, I ended up buying just about everything PModels have, all great kits!

Zathros
02-04-2008, 04:19 PM
I always like looking at your models but I can help my eyes from wandering around the photos a bit to see your vast collections. Peek-a-boo!

Stev0
02-04-2008, 05:41 PM
Very nice build. All thats missing are the ground fuel drip pans.

:thumbsup:

murphyaa
02-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Very nice Billy! Murhyaa, the e-papermodels was going out of the hard copy business, you may have to get it from the source-http://www.pmodel.net/ You have to purchase a think from c-check which is an Asian bank card, sort of like a phone card, they give you an access/acct number in which to buy the pmodel passwords. I had the instructions somewhere and I'll look for them. Good luck, I ended up buying just about everything PModels have, all great kits!

Eh, I'll design my own. Then sell it to FG.

birder
02-05-2008, 04:38 AM
hey Aaron howsit doing? I know from previous discussions that you like this bird, are you working with Chip by chance?

murphyaa
02-05-2008, 07:50 AM
Not anymore. I was for a few months, then had to leave.

John Bowden
02-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Aaron.............maybe we can get DGA to release it :)

dansls1
02-05-2008, 09:28 AM
You know - there are tons of FG type models of this plane out there, but AFAIK there's not a detailed 1/33 kit. Admittedly it'd be big - but I'd love to have a version with separate control surfaces, cockpit detail, etc.

Johnny
02-05-2008, 09:38 AM
WOW thats a really nice pretty huge model!! Great work Billy!!

member_3
02-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Dan - Fly/Gomix had a 1:33 SR-71 (now out of print) that could be made into a decent model. I seem to recall someone on Zealots doing a build of it a couple years ago. Mine fell victim to a tragic furniture moving accident while still in the unskinned state <sigh>. It was definitely a biggy!

dansls1
02-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Thanks Ron, guess I'll have to keep my eye on Ebay (once I get a budget again ;) ).

I still put forth that it'd be nice to have a detailed 1/33 version of this big bird available in a digital format ;)

billy.leliveld
02-05-2008, 01:23 PM
I always like looking at your models but I can help my eyes from wandering around the photos a bit to see your vast collections. Peek-a-boo!
Hello Zathros, long time no see, have another peek...(i'm just showing off)
Cheers, Billy

member_3
02-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Wow!!! That was definitely worth showing off. What a marvelous collection and displayed so beautifully!

Ashrunner
02-05-2008, 01:32 PM
I definitely defer to Ash when it comes to Air Force slang!

I have to admit that the Air Force guys in Korea and Japan used the nickname "Habu" and not "Snake" for the SR-71. It was we Dogfaces who took the term one step further and, when the sonic boom came, said that the "Snake" had arrived.

I presume that all the others reading this thread have figured out by now that the habu is an Asian poisonous snake and that, due to its hooded cobra appearance, the SR-71 was nicknamed the Habu. There is, by the way, a very interesting website devoted to the SR-71: http://www.habu.org/

Thanks for the website, Billy, and for sharing your splendid model with us.

Don

Thanks for the explanation of Habu, Don. The Habu Org website is a great website for Blackbird lovers. One of my favorite moments in the Air Force was the night I was told to empty my JP-4 fuel truck, flush it, then fill it with JP-7 (I believe that was the fuel back in the early 70s). Then I was told to wait at a certain hardstand. Twenty minutes later, a very strange, black bird taxied up. I was directed into position and soon began passing gas. When I finished, I moved out to do paperwork and let the second truck in. While doing the paperwork, I wrote down the aircraft tail number -- "971" I remembered it, because it was 1971 when this happened.

Several years ago, the Evergreen Aviation Museum acquired an SR-71 for display. Much to my enjoyment, it's tail number is "971." Visiting it was like seeing an old friend. I may have spent less than 20 minutes around that bird in '71, but I never forgot about it. And now she's only a four hour drive from me. 8v)

The six main versions of blackbirds Lockheed designed and produced are still, in my opinion, the greatest aviation achievement ever.

John Bowden
02-05-2008, 03:33 PM
The six main versions of blackbirds Lockheed designed and produced are still, in my opinion, the greatest aviation achievement ever.

I agree.............especially since all the titanium used to build then was bought from the USSR!

Fast............ Black...........Twin afterburning engines on any airplane will get my attention!

john

billy.leliveld
02-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Here's the link to Mike Bauer's free SR 71...
http://85.150.216.22/hobby/productCatalog.asp?cat=Papermodels&sCat=Mike+Bauer
It's big!
Cheers, Billy

frederico
12-24-2011, 06:24 PM
i know it is sort of a late call but i just want to say, i did the same model and i really didn't like it alot. the way you glue the pieaces, it looks like mountains on the finnished model.i fix it thogh by cutting off the tabs and glue them together.

billy.leliveld
12-25-2011, 01:46 AM
That was long ago:roll eyes: The Pmodel has some serious flaws, Luckely Ken L West came along with his masterpiece

frederico
12-25-2011, 12:58 PM
a true work of art, thats all i have to say.

Sakrison
12-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Billy,
Excellent build, but what scale? The SR-71 is 107 feet long, plus a few inches. If the P-Model SR-71 is "about a foot long," it's 1/100 scale.
--David

billy.leliveld
12-26-2011, 03:44 AM
Thanks, David
Ken's SR 71 is 1:33 scale , about 1 meter, 3.2 ft long
The P model claimes it is in 1:50,about 30 cm, or one ft.
Most of my models i keep in a show case, but I threw the P model away, 2 years ago, because of the lack of internal formers it deformed and looked like a lame duck, instead of one of the best looking plane ever made :roll eyes:
More pics in my gallery under my signature

Sakrison
12-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Thanks, David
Ken's SR 71 is 1:33 scale , about 1 meter, 3.2 ft long
The P model claimes it is in 1:50,about 30 cm, or one ft.

PModel got their math wrong. 1/50 of the SR-71's 32.7 meters would be about 65 cm. Nice model, though.

Hiob
01-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Nice work! :) I like your air planes' gallery. How are you doing with your loco Billy? I remember that when I started my loco, you have started PU 29 if I remember correctly.

Kind regards,
Adam

billy.leliveld
01-08-2012, 02:26 AM
Nice work! :) I like your air planes' gallery. How are you doing with your loco Billy? I remember that when I started my loco, you have started PU 29 if I remember correctly.

Kind regards,
Adam

Hello Adam, the PU 29 is still under construction, I use it as my back-up build ;) Did some other stuff in-between . like Ken's austonaut, but i will finish it someday:)