PDA

View Full Version : Historical display of surface vehicles, planes and space craft... needed!

cgutzmer
09-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Well folks, this might or might not come as a surprise. I decided to throw yet another iron on the fire...

I have approached our local library which is brand new and quite popular. I asked about getting a small display case to show off a few models. The declined as those are reserved for kids to show off stuff. Instead they offered me the large window up front which is usually reserved for the likes of area museum displays! Its pretty darn big, at least three shelves high (might be four) I am getting the display case for all of December or all of January!

Once again, this is where I am looking to the community for help in promoting the hobby. Luckily I will be able to use MANY of the models I already got for the craft fair in this display but it needs a lot of rounding out to make it work as I hope. I plan on making three levels of similar models...

low level - any surface or sub surface vehicles, historical representation on different ages, this will include subs, ships, cars etc etc

medium will be aircraft representing a timeline

high will be space craft representing a timeline (this MIGHT go into future state like sci-fi depending on what I get)

space permitting I will include any and all unique models I can fit.

If anyone has any models they would like included in this venture please let me know! I cant offer special compensation this time, I blew my budget on the last one.... but I will pay for anyones shipping charges!
Thanks
Chris

Retired_for_now
09-21-2010, 08:46 PM
Timeline? Very little on the shelf and that's spoken for so would need to build something ...
Yogi

APA-168
09-21-2010, 08:56 PM
I could build my Passaic to complete your monitor collection... :rolleyes: :D

cgutzmer
09-22-2010, 04:38 AM
the time! I suppose that is important :) I will update the first post. I will either get all of december or all of January - it depends what is open when I get my form turned in! I might go January just to get a little more time!

More monitors is cool! :)
Chris

cMags
09-22-2010, 07:27 AM
Let me know if you end up going the sci-fi route. I've got a couple Star Trek ships that I could send your way - the recognizable ones - the original Enterprise (Chippy's), the refit Enterprise from the movies (Shunichi's), and the Enterprise D from The Next Generation (Ninjatoes'). The former two are in approx 1:1000 scale (about 11" long) which I've since rebuilt in my common fleet scale 1:1700, and the D is about the same length at about 1:2000 and I plan to rebuild that one at 1:1700 at some point.

I could probably also part with my similarly-sized FG Huey.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/cmags/cardmodels/th_IMG_7113.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/cmags/cardmodels/?action=view&current=IMG_7113.jpg)http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/cmags/cardmodels/th_IMG_7092.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/cmags/cardmodels/?action=view&current=IMG_7092.jpg)http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/cmags/cardmodels/th_IMG_7111.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/cmags/cardmodels/?action=view&current=IMG_7111.jpg)http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/cmags/cardmodels/th_IMG_7094.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/cmags/cardmodels/?action=view&current=IMG_7094.jpg)

Swampfox
09-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Well folks, this might or might not come as a surprise. I decided to throw yet another iron on the fire...

Instead they offered me the large window up front which is usually reserved for the likes of area museum displays! Its pretty darn big, at least three shelves high (might be four) I am getting the display case for all of December or all of January!

Thanks
Chris

Chris, your comment about the large window up front, is this window facing the outside where it will get direct sunlight? Be aware that if the models are exposed to this bright light over a period of weeks that the color will probably fade pretty badly...... Unless they are printed with archival inks, and even that is not a safe bet.

This may not be a concern, but just thought I'd mention it.

Swampfox

rmks2000
09-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Chris

What about model scale -Modern aircraft at 1:33 can be quite large. Same goes for ship models.

cgutzmer
09-22-2010, 04:11 PM
I will let you know about the trek ships - they would prolly be a good draw in any case :)

swampfox - up front INSIDE the library so no direct sunlight :)

RMKS - the shelves are very long so ships SHOULD be all right, i am hoping if I DO get a plane that bid I will prop it up against the back so its kind of a top down view. but yes for large models it could be an issue, it depends which display window I get too ;)
Thanks!
Chris

cgutzmer
10-09-2010, 03:16 PM
ok folks! I need some more models for this - specifically anything that rolls/floats on earth or goes in outer space :)

got anything? I will cover postage!
Thanks
Chris

cgutzmer
10-12-2010, 12:25 PM
I officially have the display case for all of december. :) Now if anyone has ANY surface/sub surface vehicles, pioneer aircraft or space vehicles of any kind that would be most appreciated (shipping paid as well)
Thanks!
Chris

APA-168
10-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Could you use the DDG-1000 or is that too big?

cgutzmer
10-12-2010, 01:31 PM
send it on! I got quite a bit of room :)

APA-168
10-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Sweet! :D As soon as I get a lower hull on the thing, it'll be on its way.

cMags
10-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Cool, I'll dig out a box and pack up some starships. You want the Huey too, or are you all set for aircraft?

n810
10-12-2010, 02:27 PM
I'll build some stuff for ya! Especially if you go for january, I should have lots of build time around thanksgiving

cgutzmer
10-12-2010, 02:44 PM
They have already slotted me for December!

Throw the Huey in - I am sure I can use it :)

mchale
10-12-2010, 05:40 PM
how about my pt boats and some dodge chargers from 1967-1974

cgutzmer
10-12-2010, 05:43 PM
sure!! :) thanks :)

mchale
10-12-2010, 06:03 PM
you will take my models handrawn and taped

cgutzmer
10-12-2010, 06:46 PM
taped - thats right.... so long as the tape does not detract too much - they do have a good historical perspective being muscle cars AND they help show an alternative way to build :)
Chris

doctormax
10-13-2010, 05:14 AM
i suppose i can get back into the card modeling soon the flu really did slow me up and now the helping a friend sort out their house and now my mum had a big operation so really not in the kind of mood to go trying to cut paper just yet.

cgutzmer
10-13-2010, 05:16 AM
take care of you and yours first of course :) Get well!
Chris

Retired_for_now
10-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Off to the attic for a box&etc. Some re-stacking will be required. The Ranger's tower and HGA are removeable to help its survival chances. 1:100 rockets (E.T.Groen's Redstone) and 1:24 spaceprobes.

Yogi

cgutzmer
10-17-2010, 07:27 PM
sweet! thanks man :)

cgutzmer
10-18-2010, 06:36 PM
Well I better get started on this :) I will be going through what I have and picking out models for display at the libary.

Any suggestions for label cards? I want something easy to print myself (will prelabel them in some app) but I want something a little fancier than just a little folded tent...

Thoughts?
Chris

Retired_for_now
10-18-2010, 09:51 PM
Thinking along the lines of the comments you got at the last get-together; less is more. With an educational display you need enough space on the "label" for big print that not only identifies the model subject, but explains its significance. For me, that usually means at least large index card size to accommodate 14pt text (or larger) or a really good graphic (if I can find one). This may limit how many models you place so they don't crowd out the information (the models are bait but it's the educational aspect that allows you to explain why you spend so much time on this hobby - that's my story and I'm sticking to it!).
The card needs to be placed to match the sight line of your intended audience. Flat on the surface is OK for a display table (down look angle) but almost vertical is needed for a display case - and keep in mind the height of the viewer. Pixar "Cars" would be down at the lowest shelf and the racier anime figures up high ...
If you print the labels on card, you can tape a simple folded triangle to the back to stand it up like a picture frame. If you have unlimited time you could finesse things and make a card box for each label (or any other solid geometric shape) with the text printed on one or more sides.

Yogi

cgutzmer
10-19-2010, 04:12 AM
yep - thinking along those same lines :) thanks for the suggestions! :)

cgutzmer
10-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Got a couple of great packages the last couple days

A magnificent array of subject from Chris Walas and some superb space related stuff from Yogi!

This will fit in perfectly and give me some good variation on the display!
Thanks!
Chris

Spaceguy5
10-28-2010, 01:58 PM
I'd definitely suggest trying to get every US space vehicle. Most of them are pretty simple builds. Over the last few days, I built the Delta 7 Studios Mercury and Gemini capsules, Ton's Apollo capsule, John J's Skylab and Mir space stations, a Hubble model (I forgot where I downloaded it from), and the AXM Space Shuttle, all in 1:144 scale. I'm thinking about doing part of the AXM International Space Station, and John J's SpaceX Dragon next. It's quite impressive to see how the size of all of these compare to each other. Right now I'm also doing several FG planes in 1:144 scale as well (FW-190, B-29, ME-163, Fat Man atomic bomb, X-1, X-15, F-22). It's even more impressive seeing how all the airplanes--even the B-29--are dwarfed by the shuttle. At first, I thought I might have scaled them wrong until I checked the actual dimensions. Are you going for a specific scale?

cgutzmer
10-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Hello!
No specific scale - just items that i can put in a timeline sequence that will both teach a little and show off our hobby a little - want to send me some of those? ;)

Spaceguy5
10-28-2010, 09:42 PM
I could probably send some stuff once I get some free time. Is there any deadline?

cgutzmer
10-29-2010, 04:25 AM
My display starts Dec 1 so I need time to process the models (fix stuff from transit, make stands and note cards!
Thansk
Chris

Retired_for_now
10-29-2010, 06:26 AM
Simple stands - the rockets should stand on their bases (unless the cabinet takes a lot of hits) and the space probes can sit on the surface. A quick solution is PVC pipe bits if you think you need to elevate an item (or just roll up some paper into cylinders). Message should be: really neat car/ship/tank/rocket that you can build yourself!

Yogi

cgutzmer
10-29-2010, 07:08 AM
thanks yogi :)

I am probably going to whip up some stands like what Don Boose did at the convention - recycle some cardboard!

cMags
10-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Well, the Huey was in rougher shape than I realized - faded ink (built in my pre-spray-sealing days), sagging/broken rotor bits, and bent landing skids. It also didn't fit in the box I found so it's just going to get scrapped.

The starships Enterprise are all three packed up and heading north. Be sure to post pics of the display when set up!

cgutzmer
10-29-2010, 04:03 PM
darn tootin! thanks for sending those along - I have another huey in a different scheme so I am ok there anyway :)

Retired_for_now
10-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Display info on the way ... any feedback on how well the packing job worked?

Find all the little bits? Anything squashed?

Yogi

cgutzmer
10-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Worked awesome! not a single problem with anything :)
Thanks!

Retired_for_now
11-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Just a bump so you don't forget to post pictures of the display once you set it up ... along with any lessons learned, practical tips, how to, etc.

cgutzmer
11-26-2010, 12:18 PM
yep will do :) I opted against using little display stands since they were glass shelves I thought it would be nice for them to a get a better view of the bottoms of the models too :)

cgutzmer
12-01-2010, 11:45 AM
ok! the display is up!

First let me share a story - I spent about 2 hours putting stuff up (needed to do some last minute repairs and such too.... props didnt weather the multiple packing and unpacking very well!

I got the whole thing setup, closed the display case and took a couple boxes back to the car. I got back in and there were three kids already looking at the models. One Child about 4 years old was LOOK! AIRPLANES! LOOK ROCKETS! LOOK A DINOSAUR! LOOK etc etc about 7 times :) He was SO happy to look at them. Totally made my day :)

I had a couple printouts to hang that got bent so I need to reprint and go back to hang. Also my little biz card holder didnt work out so I need to print a nice sign to ask at the info counter for more info. They will give out the paper modeling flyer and my biz card to anyone that asks :)

Gotta pop back tonight to make sure my repairs all held ;)

Chris

SJPONeill
12-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Wow!! That looks great, Chris!! It must have been a cool feeling to find that some of the kids had latched onto the display already!! Top effort!!

cgutzmer
12-01-2010, 11:59 AM
The lady that organizes the display mentioned that she will probably use a whole bottle of windex having to clean fingerprints off the display case every day ;)

cMags
12-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Looks great Chris. I see you ended up not using any of the 3 most recognizable Star Trek ships I sent you. Run out of space? (No pun intended.) I guess they'll become donated toys then eh?

cgutzmer
12-01-2010, 02:01 PM
I got them all here yet :) I plan on swapping out the current trek ship with the original one you sent me about mid way through the time frame :) The problem was when I got there the strings were too short on them and I didnt have any handy ;)

I will also be keeping the orignal enterprise to use a display at MY desk at work :)
Chris

Paperbeam
12-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Good stuff, Chris!

To those who donated the models for the display a big thanks as well...

Terry

cMags
12-01-2010, 04:37 PM
I will also be keeping the orignal enterprise to use a display at MY desk at work :)
Chris

A geek after my own heart. :P

Retired_for_now
12-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Now that's eclectic ...

Yogi

cgutzmer
12-01-2010, 07:46 PM
YOGI! I totally forgot to ask.... You sent me several models all of which I used.... For the life of me when I was there I couldnt figure out where that darn radar dish went even though I thought I had everything together and apart a couple weeks earlier.... any tips for when I go back to visit in a couple days? :)

Retired_for_now
12-01-2010, 08:26 PM
On the Ranger - tower aperature faces the side away from the HGA antenna, perpendicular to the arrays. The HGA should slot onto the black square (I think I did the mast for the dish with a slot that fits over the base). It's always the details ...

Yogi

cgutzmer
12-01-2010, 09:44 PM
excellent! I stared at those things for about 10 minutes before moving on :)
Thanks! :) !!!!!

Bengt Fredén
12-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Great, Chris!

I was so pleased to read and see this. This is just the right kind of boost our hobby needs, so that young kids might take a break from their TV or computer games and experience something really three-dimensional.

Just wait until they realize that they can actually do it themselves, with their own hands, with a bit of patience and simple tools like scissors and glue. Working on a three-dimensional form from a flat paper is immensely stimulating for the mind!

Chris - you are a great ambassador, a true entrepreneur for the hobby.
Hell - you are a Crusader!

Let the paper banners fly!
All the best,
Bengt in Stockholm :):):)

PS. I have a 1:20 scale Fokker Dr.I WW1 fighter in a display in a hobby shop in central Stockholm, among some smaller plastic models. I think I will exchange it for a new, different one soon. Perhaps put some cards or flyers there, and see what happens.

cgutzmer
01-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Its a WINNER! :)

The head librarian said it was far and away one of the most popular displays they ever had. They asked me to come back in a year or so and do it again :)

they said it even increased the checkout of books related to war history - most notably several people asked about the civil war ships :)

They asked if I would consider making something smaller that could be a permanent thing, she wanted to ask me before going to the director! A micro mini dio would be perfect :) might give it a go if people are interested in sending me micro builds! Of course my model RR skills are nil so I would be learning from the ground up - anyone in the wisconsin area want to help out with such an endeavor?
Thanks everyone for helping make this library display possible. I will be moving on to a couple area museums next!
Chris