PDA

View Full Version : Retired's Skylab

Daedalus
10-03-2010, 02:47 AM
I recently had the time on hand to build one of my favorite space programs in history, and a fine model.

Retired-for-now designed a fine and relatively quick to build Skylab Space Station. The build is clear and straight forward.

I was a little rushed to put the thing together, as I wanted to show it off at work for a staff event. In my haste, the only difficulty I experienced was the support for the Apollo Telescope. If I had used LockTite, or something similar on the support structure, that might have made it a little easier.:o

The only changes I made to the build was to replace the Heat Shield Repair with gold colored mylar and replace the top of the telescope with a hand drawn disk that represents the multiple aperture shutters atop the telescope mount assembly. I also added a Command/Service Module, by Ton.

Thanks for the fine model RFN!:D
and thanks to Ton for the CSM:D

Paper Kosmonaut
10-03-2010, 04:45 AM
That's a good one! Nice addition, that mylar. Makes the whole stack look that little bit extra detailed. Well built.

SAustin16
10-03-2010, 06:59 AM
Excellent build. RFN really does a nice design. Adding the CSM was a good thought as it provides scale.

dhanners
10-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Let me add to the chorus. Great-looking model!

Retired_for_now
10-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Great job! Sun shield is a superb addition. The telescope mount is the weakest aspect of the design - I've done one (handling expected) with toothpicks glued to the flat vertical members to stiffen it up.

Ton's Apollo completes it (wonder if I need a comment in the kit to that effect?).

Yogi

Daedalus
10-08-2010, 12:53 AM
Thanks for your kind words. It's very encouraging for newbie to paper, like me.

It's nice to have such fine models available to cut my teeth on, pardon the slight pun. But even better to have support from experienced great ones, like yourselves.

Thanks again, Yogi. I can't wait to build some of your other space craft.

lancer525
10-08-2010, 09:58 AM
How cool! Nice job on the build, and nice job on the design!

You can almost see Pete Conrad peeking out the window!