PDA

View Full Version : Enjoying the cool of the evening

carlos filipe
10-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Tatebanko
15 x 7.5cm
This is a "fake". I picked two different printings of master Ando Hiroshige and composed my own tatebanko.
I enjoyed so much the works of Pat Craft and Tapcho, "The Thunder gate" I built one myself. Then felt for more and made my own. I had doubts about presenting a fake, but I think that copying printings to turn them into tatebankos was not uncommon. The Kangawa wave, for instance.

I appreciate the study it requires to build a minimalist scene. I could not make up my mind about a backdrop or enclosing the diorama in the traditional fashion. I felt it would be more eficient to leave up to the observer to add mentaly what is not there physically. I took two very similar photos with different backgrounds
Since I wanted to give the impression that the group of trees was far, I modelled the "terrain" in two inclined planes roughly intersecting midway lengthwise. The "terrain" was made with watercolour paper and transparent coats of acrylics applied with airbrush. The compressor was on 1.5 to 2 PSI so I could give a very gentle cover and even getting some splashes of paint to look like a printing.
The base was built with foam core, then covered with grey cardboard and then coated with a generous amount of PVA glue. This allowed me to sand it, just to make less obvious the joints. Later I painted with lacquer in spray. Awfull stuff to use in an apartment...

carlos filipe
10-11-2010, 08:58 AM
The original printings of Ando Hiroshige

Don Boose
10-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Fine work of converting Hiroshige's wood block prints into tatebanko!

Don

RMDC
10-12-2010, 12:01 AM
Great concept and execution. The two simple elements evoke the scene very well. :)

carlos filipe
10-13-2010, 05:50 AM
Thank you for your kind comments.
This form of art struck me like a lightning. I wasn't aware of it and specially how old it is.
It is very hard to enter this world though, as obviously the tatebanko is deeply rooted in the japanese culture, myths and stories. So I'm affraid to deal with it without becoming ridiculous. But modelling is a fun mean of studying, so now a have a motivation to search for some information.
I got curious in searching for some equivalent in the western culture and remenberd immediatly the toy theaters and the dioramas. Both from late 19th century and early 20th. Found an interesting french blog with a huge collection of old "decoupages"

agence eureka – old parpercraft
http://bibigreycat.blogspot.com/ (http://bibigreycat.blogspot.com/)
The craftmanship of most of the models preserved in this blog have nothing to do with the graphic quality of the japanese printings. But I find them a wonderful insight to the world of childhood of 120 to 70 years ago. It also shows the diference between handcrafted work (tatebankos) and an industrial way of production, even if in small scale.

Back to the tatebanko, although a fake, I found it a very interesting study of composition. I've passing the word to my friends - plastic modellers - that this is a very educational way of praticing diorama building.
Best regards
Carlos

cotlet
10-13-2010, 07:37 AM
I'm becoming a huge fun of you, Carlos:D
Beautiful work! It's a minimalistic scene alright, but it has some depth (and I'm not talking about the clever way you have created the perspective). I guess what I like the best is the twist (that's my own interpretation, I hope I'm entitled to it;)): three girls chatting and enjoying an evening (red background) stroll down the beach with an island in the background with .... disproportionally big trees. It could be a bank of a river, but than all the proportions would make more sense and the scene wouldn't be that appealing to me;)

... and all this was said by a guy who enjoys building models of various killing machines .... so it's time to go back to my flying swallow (Ki-61:p)

Pat_craft
10-30-2010, 04:21 AM
I haven't seen your post Carlos ! But now it's done !

Nice to meet someone interrested by tatebankos ! Your creation is very interresseting with your treatement of the perspective.

I want more !

One question : where did you found the Hiroshige's print with the tree, on the Internet ?

carlos filipe
10-31-2010, 01:44 PM
Hi Pat:
I'm planning some more. I like the minimalist approach.
Actually it was thanks to you, to Patcho and a couple more that I got acquainted with this type of expression.
The Hiroshige prints I found on this site (from some sort of a foundation):
http://www.hiroshige.org.uk/index.html (http://www.hiroshige.org.uk/index.html)
It is quite an extensive collection. I haven't managed to see all themes.
My figurines are 60mm high (a little over 2in.), the definition of the images is quite good and I'm using a regular HP inkjet and fine cardboard (0.2mm thick/180gr). If they were printed on a laser printer and with matt photo paper, I'm sure the colors would stand out much better.
Best regards
Carlos