PDA

View Full Version : How to improve this forum?

Rawen
10-21-2010, 11:50 PM
Hello,

This forum is really great and i come here everyday to see what is new. But with so many people and threads here, the forum become a little bit unnoticed.

In categories is so many off-topic threads. Where should be only model builds threads is many threads with questions, info's and other non-building things. In category "How to use this forum" i found a thread about C130 Hercules model - :confused: and many more examples can be found.

Another thing is about thread names - in many instances is impossible to discover, what is in this thread. I mean threads names like this: "My new model", "some tanks" , etc.

Why i refer to this? Because i am going everyday on CPM forum ( czech papermodelers forum - www.papirovemodelarstvi.cz (http://www.papirovemodelarstvi.cz) ) where is all the things mentioned upwards banned!
It really helps the forum to look very profesionall. On polish forum's is same order.
I have nothing against this forum or his administrators, but little bit more "discipline" can really help this forum to look better.

On CPM:

Every thread should have a correct name - in this standart:
Name of the model/author of the model(not builder )/scale

For example:
Mil mi 24 Hind/ Halinski models/1:33
USS Enterprise NCC 1701/ Own design/ 1:?¨
etc.

categories with questions and info's is automatically cleaned. Other categories is cleaned from old threads only, if the thread is not important for other modelers.

Model photos must be in good quality. Bad photos is not accepted.
Good photo is sharp, good lighted and ideally photographed on some one-color background ( blue/white paper)

Everybody, who not respect this rules is banned ( on CPM ). I know, it sounds despotic, but - believe me - it really helps the forum.

That's all i want to say. I have nothing against this forum and his administrators, it is only tips.
Freedom is really nice, but freedom without any rules is a way to chaos.

PS:
sorry for mistakes. I know english language only from PC games. In school i learn russian and german language.

PPS:
I hope this thread is in good category:o

mchale
10-22-2010, 12:08 AM
i dont like these ideas rawen that may be how it is on cpm but i think every paper model forums should have different rules if every modeling forum had the same rules
they would lose thier uiqueness and i have problems with taking pics

Rawen
10-22-2010, 12:28 AM
i dont like these ideas rawen that may be how it is on cpm but i think every paper model forums should have different rules if every modeling forum had the same rules
they would lose thier uiqueness and i have problems with taking pics

Ok, you have right - not everybody have good camera or talent for profesional photos. On CPM is bod photos sometimes tolerated. But it is recommended to take best photos as you can ( maybe ask somebody who have a really good camera )
For all , man with bad camera, or no-talent can make a good photos too. Ideally take the photos outside under the natural lights.
Howewer, many people take photos in dark room with his mobile phone camera:(

Foxbat
10-22-2010, 04:03 AM
Model photos must be in good quality. Bad photos is not accepted.
Good photo is sharp, good lighted and ideally photographed on some one-color background ( blue/white paper)
do not forger that everyone has different living condition, and such for the modelling (working place, lamps etc.)
Also about the devices for taking pictures. Not everyone can afford the latest NIKON or CANON multifunctional super-mega camera

...I know, it sounds despotic
absolutely
...but - believe me - it really helps the forum.
helps forum? yeah, right! think good - if you post not such a good photo, and then you will be banned - will you come back? Well, I won't

In categories is so many off-topic threads
well, I just don't read them

Rawen
10-22-2010, 05:13 AM
I am looking on a word " banned" and it is my mistake - i mean "banned" like a "improper" or "not recommende" or "against rules" a real "ban" - elimination from forum is possible only if member frequently break the rules.

About photos....see above.

But primary i really like, if the all threads have a good names and everything was in a correct categories.

You say - don't read them. I must disagree. If everybody ignore problems, or minor things that can be better or more well aranged, the forum slowly become something like chat.

Maybe i am only a little bit pedant:) But look on polish forum's or Czech forum's - where is model builds is only model builds with really good photo documentation and 95% of threads have a correct name as i wrote on beginning.

Marco
10-22-2010, 05:26 AM
To each forum it's own style. I personally very much like the low-threshold, friendly and informal atmosphere at this forum, and would not like to see that change. Severe moderation wouldn't help that.

Rawen
10-22-2010, 05:43 AM
To each forum it's own style. I personally very much like the low-threshold, friendly and informal atmosphere at this forum, and would not like to see that change. Severe moderation wouldn't help that.

Don't worry ,friendly atmosphere is on czech and polish forum's too:-) I really don't want to make here tyranny where only elite modelers have all privilege;)

Momentally i think to ask administrators to delete some of my threads - because some of them is dead and some of them have bad links to photos. I want to lead by example and repair links, take good photos and give every thread a good name - to every newbie here exactly know, what he found in thread.

2Kamser
10-22-2010, 05:45 AM
i can chime in that with my expericence in building taking photos etc, i would me intimidated almost scared if if wasn't so open and friendly as this forum is and not so strict (remember Z?)
i really like the friendly almost chatty atmosphere here, the sense of humor and most of all that it feels like a family - who needs facebook :D

CharlieC
10-22-2010, 06:02 AM
I think the proof of how well the current forum works is in its longevity. This forum has outlasted a number of other cardmodel forums including at least one German forum which seemed to have rules similar to that proposed in this thread.

One of the main reasons this forum has survived is its low-threshold, newbie friendly approach. I can't see how any other scheme would work in the English speaking world. There is, of course, no long-standing tradition of cardmodelling in Western countries, unlike the eastern European countries. Most of us have arrived in cardmodelling out of curiosity or frustration with other media rather than following the crowd.

Regards,

Charlie

airdave
10-22-2010, 07:11 AM
I like the fact that someone who doesn't speak English as a first language is still brave enough to speak up and voice their opinion.
And yes, we have to tolerate a small amount of mispeak (or foot in mouth comments) as a result of the language barrier.
This is one reason this forum has done so well...tolerance for all nationalities!

Rawen, I think you are commenting and criticizing the USE of the Forum by its members, not the Forum itself.

No matter what you do, you cannot control how every person will use the forums.
There just isn't a way to make everyone read all the instructions and rules...most will not.
Its easier to use the forum, and if you run into a problem, just post a question asking for help (rather than reading the help and rules information to start with).
Its impossible to direct every person into the correct forum or thread, most are following bread crumb trails with blinders on! lol
...and as forums grow with more and more posts ( and topics) it becomes tiring to go through every room looking for the perfect place to sit down.

I run my own forum (for airbrushers) and I know what its like having to deal the issues.
Just ask any Mod and they will all tell you exactly the same stories ...on every forum!

One of my biggest issues is not putting proper titles on a new Thread.
I hate when one of members posts an article about his new painting of a Tiger, but titles the thread "a new project of mine".
How can others search for threads on Tiger artworks when they are titled this way?
And I hate it when they post a Motorcycle painting article in the general discussion section (and not in the Motorcycle paintwork section).

These are all petty things and not worth losing members over.

The only suggestion is to seriously reprimand for making mistakes.
But since many of us are already lax on rules and etiquette, why would we care about the reprimands?... its easier to leave if it becomes too much of a hassle.

And what about netspeak? are you a bunch of dummies?
I'm glad we have many nationalities here...it keeps out the annoying webtalkers!
OMG!!!1 UR so kewl! LOLOL!!!!!! i g2g to da stor 2day c ya l8er LOLZ

Chatspeak for actions that aren't easily expressed in text is okay.
eg (laughing)LOL, (peeing pants)LMAO

But acronyms for everything, happy faces made out of punctuation, and annoying little "smiley faces" are the death of intelligent conversation in my book.

okay, okay, I got off topic!
But my point is, no matter how much we don't like it, every one is not going act exactly the same on the boards
...and all we can do is agree to moderate each other respectfully and suggest fixes when necessary.
And leave it up to Moderators to do the dirty work, thats why they have been put there.

"Taking good photos" is something I also get annoyed with. I hate seeing crappy photos of good or interesting builds.
But not everyone can afford high end camera equipment.
(although it amazes me, because most mobile phones have cameras and take pretty darn good photos so I don't get why some of the posted photos are so bad?)
Not everyone understands how to take a better photo and no matter how many times we offer advice, it goes unheard.
(Kinda harps back to the reading the rules and help on a forum thing, doesn't it?)
Once again, we have to tolerate and respect all members and their capabilities and try to offer understanding and advice whenever possible.

Phil
10-22-2010, 07:18 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Rawen
10-22-2010, 07:36 AM
Perhaps you have right boys, but thanks for reactions.
In eastern europe have paper modeling really very long tradition, because, in the times of communism - papermodeling is the best way do build something like a hobby. Plastic kits in that times was very rare.

Thanks god for the present "freedom" :D

On this account- papermodeling in East-europe have high standart. For many people here is paper modeling something like art. And the forum's here sustain this high standart through the harder rules.

Interesting to see another look on this situation.

Marco
10-22-2010, 07:51 AM
Perhaps you have right boys, but thanks for reactions.
In eastern europe have paper modeling really very long tradition, because, in the times of communism - papermodeling is the best way do build something like a hobby. Plastic kits in that times was very rare.

Thanks god for the present "freedom" :D

On this account- papermodeling in East-europe have high standart. For many people here is paper modeling something like art. And the forum's here sustain this high standart through the harder rules.

Interesting to see another look on this situation.

Very true indeed, and I think that may be one of the reasons of "cultural" differences between forums in different countries. But similarly, the Eastern European kits are also regarded very highly by the users of this forum, including myself.... currently busy with a fantastic Czech kit, and the next one is likely to be a Polish one from Gomix.

Foxbat
10-22-2010, 07:59 AM
Maybe i am only a little bit pedant:) But look on polish forum's or Czech forum's - where is model builds is only model builds with really good photo documentation and 95% of threads have a correct name as i wrote on beginning.
:) you know, I'm pedant as well :)
but at least every forum has it's own rules, and it's own administration.
You understand what I want to say. I personally don't like at least one something at every forum, but it's all my vision of things.
You say - don't read them. I must disagree. If everybody ignore problems, or minor things that can be better or more well aranged, the forum slowly become something like chat.
Well... if someone put topic in wrong place - admins and moderators are on the way :)

ccoyle
10-22-2010, 12:55 PM
I just wanted to give rawen a pat on the back for having the courage to make his original post, although I do agree with the other posters who have mentioned that it is the prerogative of the forum owner(s), administrators, and moderators to run the show as they see fit (and up to us members to go with the flow). I do, though, think it is good for all members to think about their thread titles, and if not standardize them, at least try to make them informative about the post content.

Cheers!

2Kamser
10-22-2010, 01:08 PM
i agree with the title thing, and will try to name any thread i start a bit better than i have done in the past, that is easily fixed :o

Stev0
10-22-2010, 01:29 PM
I agree wholehearted on the thread title in regards to builds.

I don't agree with banning people for pictures or not titling their threads.

If we wanted to live by those rules, we would be registered and posting on those forums.

I love order because it makes for finding information a lot easier.

Gharbad
10-22-2010, 01:38 PM
I find that bad thread titles don't concern me.
If it's on the front page I might not read it but if I'm looking for something later I use for the forum search. It can read all the posts so the title is irrelevant.
Even with a good title there may be several threads on the same topic or I'm looking for a specific post - I don't like digging through 15 pages if I'm looking for one little tip.

airdave
10-22-2010, 01:54 PM
...I use for the forum search. It can read all the posts so the title is irrelevant.

Sometimes the search will look through the post, not just the title.
...if this is the case here, then titles are not as important.
(but not all forums have this feature.)

but what about when you are just browsing New Post lists or Forum areas?
I prefer to see a descriptive title and not have to waste my time opening all threads just to see what they are about.
And a great thread might go unnoticed just because the name is non descriptive or irrelevant and people ignore it.

In the Lounge or Off Topic areas, this might be acceptable, but in a topic specific area, like say "Kit Announcement", the titles should be descriptive and applicable.
"Look at my new model" should not be a consideration.

Bomarc
10-22-2010, 02:12 PM
I just wanted to give rawen a pat on the back for having the courage to make his original post, although I do agree with the other posters who have mentioned that it is the prerogative of the forum owner(s), administrators, and moderators to run the show as they see fit (and up to us members to go with the flow). I do, though, think it is good for all members to think about their thread titles, and if not standardize them, at least try to make them informative about the post content.

Cheers!

I think Chris nails it. It's really up to the forum admin to decide how this place is run, and from the get-go, a more "casual" approach has been adopted, which has been working fairly well. But (and there's always a "but" isn't there?), bureaucracies get started from the "that's the way it's always been done around here" (http://www.jeffbridges.com/because.html) meme.

Just sayin'.....

Mike

cgutzmer
10-22-2010, 02:14 PM
But I LOVE generic non descript titles, if I knew exactly what the thread was about I might not look at it, but not knowing exactly I just GOTTA look I cant help it!

of course I am just being an ass heh heh, I think everyone can agree that better thread titles makes for a better forum experience. An occasional reminder like this is all we need though, I wont be going and banning/moderating/warning people because of it.

This next line is for you dave since I know how much you like it

Dave ur makin me ROFL m8
:):(:confused::mad::p;):D:o:rolleyes::cool::eek:

Gharbad
10-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Sometimes the search will look through the post, not just the title.
...if this is the case here, then titles are not as important.
(but not all forums have this feature.)

but what about when you are just browsing New Post lists or Forum areas?
I prefer to see a descriptive title and not have to waste my time opening all threads just to see what they are about.
And a great thread might go unnoticed just because the name is non descriptive or irrelevant and people ignore it.

In the Lounge or Off Topic areas, this might be acceptable, but in a topic specific area, like say "Kit Announcement", the titles should be descriptive and applicable.
"Look at my new model" should not be a consideration.

Well now I think that becomes the thread makers problem. If they make great threads with poor titles they get less hits and make certain people who paint boats displeased ;)
If I miss a thread I'm not too worried about it, I miss a lot of good things, I can't keep up with everything.

Don't get me wrong, I'm entirely for descriptive titles but bad titles either get me curious (like Chris!) or I just don't care about them. Doesn't really make a difference to me.
You can also hover over the title and you get a tooltip with a short preview of the thread.

Wilfried
10-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Hello gentlemen,

let me say some words to the title of this topic; I like this place of cardmodeling like it is; all members have the capability to improve. Our community lives from the tolerance and accceptance of each other. Please no more regulations; here is the place for relax, leisure and fun ...

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried
PS: Don't ask what your forum can do for you - ask, what can you do for the forum...:)

rjm
10-22-2010, 03:57 PM
I read this thread because of the subject. I suppose this means I must
to some extent agree that some improvement is possible.
I haven't got the time to read every thread. I have started to read
those that are a response by the originator as that is usually a
continuation of the build thread and not an "attaboy" from someone else.
As for quality of photos, I've started to ignore threads from some whose
photos are of poor quality, my poor eyes can't take it.

Darwin
10-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Regarding the way the forum is structured and administrated,,,,,,,12,900 plus members. What we have works.....don't screw with it.

rickstef
10-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Of course you were all waiting for me to chime in about this.

Well, my thoughts on this are the following.

If you are posting a build thread here on this forum, you can use the same format you use on your native forum, with all the same pictures, formatting and the like.
You do not need to change the format for this forum, it will help in searches in the future.

I do not agree with removing posts because they are old, I do not like to destroy history, and any post on this site is that, historic, I might want to go back to an aircraft or tank thread that was done when we first started, when I get around to building my kit.

So if you want, post the most detailed title you like, also in the correct forum to help me out, but if you make a mistake, just let me know, and i will move it.

I have in the past tried to clean up some of the forums, like the how to forum, I will try to clean it up more, and maybe even add a new forum, How do I....?

Rick