PDA

View Full Version : Kolywopter

Pages : [1] 2

outersketcher
02-22-2008, 05:05 PM
This is the first model I ever attempted to design. I began the work back in 2006 with lots of excitement, but eventually had to set it aside for a while to learn more about the papermodel design process, but I'm back into full design work on it again. I'm confident that I'll be able to finish this by end of march.

I doodle and sketch alot. And the kolywopter is the result of one of those absent-minded scribbles that fill my sketchbooks. And I just HAD to find a way to make it into a 3-dimensional object one could hold in their hands. So I fleshed the design a bit more and built a set of 3-view plans in Adobe Illustrator, using my IMac.

Since then, I've broken-down most of the model into parts sheets in illustrator. Have completed the breakdown of the doors, tail frame assembly, wings, engine, main frame, and wing extensors. (you can see the wing extensor parts sheet below) Still have to complete the breakdown of the cabin interior, the wheels, and the tail assembly.

I'm doing this the old-fashioned way. Figuring it all out in my head, relearning some of that old high-school geometry, and trail and error builds baby! ...Lots... of trail and error test builds.

I'm teaching myself how to use sketchup, but the learning curve is taking too long. So, I'm just going to finish this one the old way and do the other ideas I have in Sketchup later.

The completed Kolywopter model will be a free download from the papercraft section of my Illustration website.

www.outersketcher.com (http://www.outersketcher.com)

The cabin doors will open, the rudder and rear flaps will pivot, and the wings will be able to swing back into the folded position if I can figure out how to manage it.

As you can see in the sketch and in the plans, there are lots of circles... LOTS... of circles. (I love the simplicity of the basic circle shape.) I've been careful to make sure that every circle in the parts sheets has a small cross point for use with a compass cutter.

There are a lot of things that I still don't know, so I hope you won't mind if I ask a few questions as I go at this.

You'll also see in the photos the key structure to the whole vehicle itself. The mainframe. I've designed it to be 4 layers of paper thick. I want the layers instead of just using thicker board for the main frame because I want the added strength of the dried glue layers to help strengthen the piece. It HAS to be strong because EVERYTHING attaches to this piece. The cabin cylinder attaches to the front, the wings to either side, the engine nacelle to the top, the wheels to the bottom and the tail structure to the rear... wheeeew!

It does work tho. I mean, the few, simple test builds I've made so far actually get stronger as you add the components to the main frame.

Right now, I'm working on the tail assembly design. Originally, I had designed the rudder and flaps to pivot on tightly rolled strips of paper. But, I'd like to make it a simpler design. Would be better I think to have the moving pieces hinge on a single strip of paper instead of a complicated pin and socket set-up. The doors use the single paper as a hinge with satisfactory results. I just havn't figured out how to create the rounded edges of the rudder for instance and still have that sheet of paper instersect through the length of the curve... working on it.

I apologize for the crummy photos.. they'll get better as I figure out how to post them to this forum properly.

cjwalas
02-22-2008, 06:08 PM
This is the one I've been waiting for. i love your illustrations and can't wait to see them in 3D!
Chris

B-Manic
02-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the update. I had forgotten your were working on this one. It looks like you are making good progress (do you need a beta builder). I too am learning sketchup and can appreciate the difficulty you are experiencing. I would definitly like to build this when it is ready.

~ Douglas

shrike
02-22-2008, 10:39 PM
I am suddenly reminded of Stan Mott's Cyclops stories.
And I mean that in the most wondering and whimsical sense possible.

outersketcher
02-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Heck yah I could use some outside info from a beta builder. Gimme a couple of weeks and I should have something worthwhile for you to tackle. I'm really excited to get the interior finished...

david

B-Manic
02-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Heck yah I could use some outside info from a beta builder. Gimme a couple of weeks and I should have something worthwhile for you to tackle. I'm really excited to get the interior finished...

david

Just PM me when it is ready. This is right up my alley. :)

Don Boose
02-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Fascinating! I love seeing the preliminary sketches, then the development drawings, and then the model taking shape.

Don

whulsey
02-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Will be following alone with great interest. Have several antique/classic cars and vintage farm equipment that I have given up on ever seeing in kit form so need to learn all I can about rolling my own.

outersketcher
02-25-2008, 11:19 AM
I built another set of the wing extensor units over the weekend. I was pleasantly surprised with how well the rubber drive belt turned out. Unfortunately, I didn't have a digital camera at the time. You can see the parts to the belt on the parts sheet I posted earlier. The black strips and the stacked dark grey segments. By cutting out the white segments in between the grey segments, then cutting out the long strips and laying them over the "grid" of segments gave me a "toothed" drive belt. Looks pretty neat! I,ll be sure to snap a photo of one of the drive belts next round of pictures.

David

outersketcher
04-18-2008, 02:20 PM
No pictures this time around.. sorry. Just a quick update to let you all know that I am indeed alive and working on the kolywopter. :)

I've had to redesign the wing extensor assembly a bit . The wing assemblies turned out to be thinner than I'd originally anticipated. I've also redesigned the hinge of the cabin doors so that they're simpler and will open more reliabley. I've got some nice, juicy fat wheels designed for the landing gear and am pleased with how they look. I've also discovered a better way to make the scaffolding of the tail boom. Instead of the complicated peg and holder set-up I had originally designed.

Am having trouble finding a decent photo of a simple set of flight controls. I'm not a pilot myself, and only have a rudimentary understanding of how the whole set up works. Have been looking at other paper models, but there are few paper models with any detail in the cockpit.. if at all. I know I need to have foot controls and at least a stick. This has to look feasable since nearly the entire front half of the kolywopter cabin is transperant and all my design mistakes will be immediatly obvious! If any of you more knowledgeable folks have any suggestions as to where I can go for some good research material on the net, I'd appreciate it.

I can't believe how frustrating it is to be held back by my technical ignorance. I have several really fun little vehicles already designed and ready to start the creation process... but I'm bottlenecked by my inability to use the appropriate 3-D software yet. I'm trying tho... oh yes... every spare moment I have... I feel like I'm trying to learn how to fly the plane while I'm... well.. flying it.

Waiting in line behind the kolywopter are two little workhorse submarines and two land vehicles to transform into 3-D models. Each design emulating similarities with the kolywopter. Large, transparent windows and swooping curves all along the "steampunk" line of thinking. Kinda Jules Vern meets Dr. Spock. ;)

David

cjwalas
04-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Ooooh, submarines! I'm a huge steampunk fan and I love your artistic style so I'll be waiting with bated breath for these! Don't give up the ship...especially when it's a Kolywopter or submarine!
Chris

B-Manic
04-19-2008, 11:59 PM
Try looking here for inspiration.

http://64.34.169.161/cgi-bin/ifolio/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Screenshot_Gallery/Real-World_Helicopter_Panels

being steampunk I would expect the controls to be few, simple, large and fairly decorative in a Victorian manner of course. :)

outersketcher
05-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Well now... I've been working on teaching myself Sketchup so that I could get a better handle on some of the more difficult kolywopter parts when unfolded. I think I'm doing okay...

In fact, I've managed to make a successful... well.... "thingie".

You'll notice that excepting for the sphere, every surface is coplanar, which would enable the thingie to be unfolded flat without too much trouble. An important concept to keep in mind when designing in 3-D I've discovered.

Anyhoo.. I now feel ready to attempt a build of the Kolywopter cabin interior.

Ha! We'll see how that works out this weekend!

David

outersketcher
06-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Have been working hard on the kolywopter. Here's an WIP shot of the kolywopter as built in sketchup. I actually have the doors built too in sketchup. Any way, my approach to the sketchup model is if I'm having trouble figuring out a part in my wee little head, I go to the sketchup file and build the part. Unfold it, then export it back into Adobe Illustrator to complete the parts sheet.

As you can see, I'm now working on completing the cockpit interior. SketchUp has been a big help here.

David

cjwalas
06-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Very cool. Great to see this one progressing. I really appreciate seeing original designs in paper modeling!
Chris

B-Manic
06-20-2008, 07:31 PM
Very NICE. Are those the colours you plan on using? The orange exterior is very striking.

outersketcher
07-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Thank you for your comments cjwalas and B-manic. Yes, the exterior cabin sheetmetal and the tail section will be a deep, orange. The cabin enterior will be the green. And the engine nacelle will be a mustard yellow over a grey superstructure.

I promise, it looks good. : )

I have been diligently plugging away at the kolywopter steadily. I've made some serious headway into completing the cabin interior. Seats are completed, the center consule and the overhead consule are also done. I'm going to redesign the floor plate so that there will be a step-down to the edge of the doors. The support structure for the instrument cluster console is complete as well.

You can see the enterior light and the air vents in the overhead console... I want my pilots to be comfortable! : )

The unfolding process from sketchup is a bit ungainly. Meaning that I have to do it by hand.... face by face, than save as a 2-D graphic, than import that into Adobe Illustrator and trace over the sketchup template.

But it DOES work. And it IS getting done... just slowly.. I know.

Those rivets are kinda gnarly are'nt they? Well, don't forget that you are viewing the cabin without the context of the wings and wheels and other parts. The rivets will seem less conspicious later.

cjwalas
07-03-2008, 11:36 AM
"The rivets will seem less conspicious later. "-
Less conspicuous???? I was going to ask if you could make them more conspicuous!! Just kidding! It's looking great. Sorry it's such a laborious process for you, but we're behind you on this! I want to see one of these in the real world!
Chris

willygoat
07-03-2008, 11:44 AM
THis is looking awesome. Keep plugging away. It seems quite worth it!

outersketcher
07-03-2008, 12:16 PM
I should probably point out that the majority of what you've seen has already been unfolded and lain out in the parts sheets. So, it's actually more complete than I made it sound. : )

akremedy
07-03-2008, 01:03 PM
This project is really looking cool David, I can hardly wait for the final results!

Looking at the tail boom, would it be possible to include a full-size layout or pattern from which to build the structure? I'm thinking not only in terms of paper, but tubing or balsa as well.

Best regards,
Adam

outersketcher
07-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Oh absolutely! The download will come with this schematic included.

Only, I've since changed the landing gear mounts. Will have to update that.

B-Manic
07-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Looking great. I'm glad to hear those are the final colours. It should result in a very attractive build.

akremedy
08-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Hey David, how's the Kolywopter coming along? Sure looking forward to it...

Thanks,
Adam

outersketcher
08-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Well, most of my work to date has been on the computer. And I tend to get so intensely involved that I forget to stop every once and a while to take screen shots. The cabin interior is completed in SketchUp and the parts are being unfolded now. It was the cabin interior that has held me back for so long. I've never sat in a pilots chair and know little to nothing about flight controls... and I wanted an interior that was at least plausible for a pilot.

Once I get the cabin interior parts unfolded and lain out it Adobe Illustrator, I'll start complete, honest-to-goodness test build of the prototype!

It won't be white tho... I've already colored most of it. : )

akremedy
08-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Well, most of my work to date has been on the computer. And I tend to get so intensely involved that I forget to stop every once and a while to take screen shots. The cabin interior is completed in SketchUp and the parts are being unfolded now. It was the cabin interior that has held me back for so long. I've never sat in a pilots chair and know little to nothing about flight controls... and I wanted an interior that was at least plausible for a pilot.

Once I get the cabin interior parts unfolded and lain out it Adobe Illustrator, I'll start complete, honest-to-goodness test build of the prototype!

It won't be white tho... I've already colored most of it. : )

Fantastic! Sure looking forward to it...

Adam

outersketcher
09-08-2008, 01:11 AM
Got a lot of work done.. most of it revisions to solve ill-designed components. I've redesigned some of the interior somewhat to allow for easier construction in paper and have completed the instrument cluster, foot pedals and control stick. (All of which I'd completely forgotten about last time I posted pictures.)

My apologies to all... I've taken so long to update only because in my quest to learn how to use Sketchup, I of course, just HAD to try out some of the techniques I was struggling with on other model designs I had waiting in line. And.... well.... I kinda got into them. So much so that I built the SPACE HABITAT and nearly completed the LANTERN VEHICLE before remembering that I'm SUPPOSSED to be working on the Kolywopter!

Ahh well... chalk it up to my short attention span.

I'll start another thread in a bit for the Lantern Vehicle. It's a neat one. I'm excited to get it done.

Anyway, I've now reached the point where I can confidantly and reliably create what I need in sketchup. So things are now speeding up.

Just need to test build the parts sheets now...

My next post will have build pics of the kolywopter prototype.

David

B-Manic
09-08-2008, 07:11 AM
Looks Great. Very clean. I look forward to the build pix!!

akremedy
09-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Fantastic! I really like the direction you took on the interior (controls/gauges/etc).

The lantern vehicle is cool too!

Adam

Triop
09-13-2008, 05:13 PM
I've seen all you're work, you are a amazing artist !

outersketcher
10-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Thank you Triop! I appreciate your taking to the time to look at my artwork... it means a lot to us artists. We are a vain bunch. : )

As for the Kolywopter, I've built the cabin completly. Will post pictures of the build this weekend. I was concerned that it would be too difficult to sandwich a sheet of clear acetate between both the interior and the exterior of the cabin hull. But it turned out to be very easy to.

outersketcher
10-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Some assembly of parts and some note taking.... In my haste to assemble the parts I didn't bother to color the edges nor did I take care to avoid getting glue prints on the glass. The construction of the cabin is a little sloppy, yes, but what's important is that IT WORKS!

cool man...

You can see the door opened on it's paper hinge. I did discover several minor problems in the parts sheet artwork that I'll rectify in the Illustrator files.

Some of the parts are very tiny... I may have to eliminate them as separate entities.

You can see that the cabin itself is a laminate of paper over a thin sheet of clear film. I got the stuff at a local art store. Comes in pads. I simply lay the acetate film over the clear parts sheet and cut out the parts I need. However, one could also just print out the clear parts sheet onto clear sheets specially designed for a printer or a copy machine. I have both types and frankly, they all work just fine. I just prefer the sheet acetate since I can buy it in different thicknesses.

The main cabin is constructed by gluing the green, interior side to the acetate sheet so that the sheet ends will meet in the middle of the strongest area of the paper interior piece. Then the two parts are rolled into a circle and the other half of the interior is glued to the other end of the clear part so that we now have a completed cylinder. Finally, the outer, exterior part of the cabin is glued to the outside of the cylinder. At this point, due to the differences in the shapes of the parts, the cabin cannot hold itself in cylindrical shape. However, once the door frame assemblies are installed, the cabin becomes a strong, cylindrical shape just fine thank you.

The door and the doorframe consist of several layers of paper. This is important because the doors and their frames will be visible from all sides and will also have to help support the structure of the cabin itself. I also wanted the door to "feel" like it fit into the structure of the frame.

Once the door frame assembly is attached to the main cabin body, A strip of "steel" is wrapped around the glue tabs along the body and a final, cover circle of rivets is applied to the door frame itself.

I cut the many circular holes out of the floor struts using curved, wood carving gouges. I've attached a picture of the set I'm using. Think I got them at my local craft shop.

Note: the Olfa circle cutter was a big help. : )

redhorse
10-19-2008, 09:47 PM
This keeps getting better and better every time! I like the wood gouge idea too.

B-Manic
10-20-2008, 07:14 AM
Looks great - what scale would you say it is?

outersketcher
10-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Well... it's as big as I could possible get the largest parts to fit within the space of an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper. I figured the bigger the better so as to preserve as much detail as possible. And the modeler could than scale the print-outs to whatever scale size they choose by using the inches and meter legend I built into each parts sheet.

However, would you all prefer the parts sheets at a specific scale instead?

cjwalas
10-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Well... it's as big as I could possible get the largest parts to fit within the space of an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper. I figured the bigger the better so as to preserve as much detail as possible. And the modeler could than scale the print-outs to whatever scale size they choose by using the inches and meter legend I built into each parts sheet.

YES! As big as possible!!!:D:D:D:D
This continues to look great!
Chris

outersketcher
10-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Here's a shot of one of the parts sheets with the notes I've had to make. For instance, I've discovered that the instrument gauge console is still very small and nearly impossible to assemble as one piece with fold lines and tiny tabs... I'll make it a little "chubbier" to allow me to be able to assemble it with my fumbling fingers.

Don't worry, I'll still make sure to retain as much grace in the original design as possible.

My intent is to convey the feeling of.... say... an iron dragonfly. Graceful in it's irony rivetnousness. ; )

David

B-Manic
10-20-2008, 05:15 PM

Not at all David. I was just curious as the cockpit looked large to me. I like your bigger is better philosophy. BTW the first thing I thought of when I saw your initial drawings was 'dragonfly'. Keep up the excellent work. I look forward to it becoming available in the fullness of time.

~cheers

willygoat
10-20-2008, 09:47 PM
This contraption looks soooo cool. I can't wait for it to be finished. It's so neat seeing it come together, because it's always a surprise. Thanks for modeling something that's never been thought of (literally).

SCEtoAUX
10-21-2008, 06:21 AM
Yep, that kolywotpter is looking very good so far. Some neat design features and the final product is going to be quite a conversation piece. Just think of all the stories you could come up with about it.
"Yes it is a real aircraft, from the infancy of powered flight." ;) :p

AndrewO
10-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Oh, wow ! This a very cool looking design. - andrew, in san jose, ca.

outersketcher
10-22-2008, 01:55 AM
Hhhhhhhmmmm.... Those really long tail-boom struts are tough to roll. The longest two are about 10" long each. Aaand they roll to a diameter of approximately 1/8", which means there isn't much paper to grab hold of for rolling. The best method I've found is to print the parts sheet onto regular printer paper, cut out a little bit of extra width to the part to be rolled and roll the whole thing on a thin, wood dowel. Than cut off the excess and re-roll the strut for gluing.

Does seem like a lot of work. Will anybody else bother to do this? Or will most people just say "AAhh the heck with it! I'm using wooden dowels instead!"

I'd like to avoid that since the NEAT thing about paper models is that, well... they're made of paper!

What IS the easiest, or simplest way to roll a long length of paper?

Oh, and by the way, the different colors are to help me keep track of which strut goes where on the tail boom.

David

B-Manic
10-22-2008, 07:05 AM
I would prefer paper myself. I would require some practice though. Long tubes. especially small diameter ones are not my strong suit.

redhorse
10-22-2008, 09:47 AM
I don't know, I might go with the dowels and just glue the paper over them.

outersketcher
10-22-2008, 10:06 AM
I would prefer paper myself. I would require some practice though. Long tubes. especially small diameter ones are not my strong suit.

Yeah, me neither... I have discovered that if one dampens the beginning edge of the strip to be rolled, it becomes easier to get it started by hand. And of course, the thinner the stock the easier to roll.

I took a looong careful look at some other models that have similar rolled pieces... like the Eagle spaceship from "space 1999".

Well, I'll see how it goes tonight... Will try to complete the tail boom.

I just don't want people running away screaming from the model! : )

B-Manic
10-22-2008, 12:02 PM
I trying not to scream for the model (patience is a virtue). Personally, I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Have you seen this MAKE: Blog: Handmade mechanical dragonfly (http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/03/handmade_mechanical_drago.html)

http://blog.makezine.com/mechanical_dragonfly.jpg

outersketcher
01-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Have been cycling through a pattern of building a test model, discovering that something doesn't work, redesigning the offending parts, and then building another test model again. This is largely due to my inexperience in designing paper models. But I've learned a tremendous amount in this process... for instance, different shapes require different design approaches.

I've specifically avoided using scanned photos of real textures... as tempting as that is.... I feel the scanned textures actually rob the artwork of it's character. So, I've been creating the textures like wood grain and metal mesh and brushed aluminum from within Adobe Illustrator. Not happy with all of the results.. but I think it looks more cohesive as a design than if I had used Photoshop textures masked into the shapes.

The instructions are coming along pretty good... you can see one of the little sections I did. I'm treating the instructions as a series of sub-assemblies that are than used to assemble the larger assemblies and finally the complete model. I'm also avoiding the use of any written language if possible. I'd like the instructions to be useful to any modeler. No matter what language they speak.

The only thing holding me back now are the wheels. I want a set of "bush-plane" wheels. Google-image that term and you'll see what I'm talking about. They look almost silly. Yet are real! And the chunky, tires are an intrigal part of the character of the Kolywopter's design.

Hey, that dragonfly is exquisitely designed. Thanks.

outersketcher
01-23-2009, 04:17 PM
As for the wheel design...

I've tried the petal method in both the flower and in-line layouts. Both work... but the process is cumbersome and awkward to manipulate. And there's the fact that the edges of the petals are difficult to hide. Which can detract from the look unless the tire tread is specifically designed to take advantage of that characteristic.
If I go with the constructed tire designs like those used by the professional model companies for their wheeled vehicles, I will have to accept the relatively boxy profile of the wheels. Which I wish to avoid if I want to achieve the look of the wheels seen in the included photo.

And I think the tires of this model are much to large to make the lamination method a realistic option. It would require an enormous amount of work to hand shape the tires. Something that is beyond most beginning modelers abilities as well.

So... the design needs to be simple, and easy to build, yet maintain the rounded, almost bulbous look that I feel is so important to maintain the design of the Kolywopter.

This is my final wall... once I've resolved this, I'll be ready to start posting the parts sheets.

B-Manic
01-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Glad to see this one progressing, thanks David. Have you considered a multi-crease version of the old car tire that is seen in many kits. ( angles exaggerated for clarity). I the could be built with two, three or even four creases the boxy look would be reduced.

birder
01-23-2009, 06:12 PM
a simple solution, may not suite this one, or may, is a long tapered strip for the tread. as it winds on it narrows, just a thought:)

Paperbeam
01-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Just what I'd been thinking (and actually intrigued enough to design).

How does this look?

Terry

Support your local designers... nearly 250 instantly available models from independent designers ECardmodels.com Shop (http://www.ecardmodels.com/shop)

outersketcher
01-24-2009, 02:54 AM
ooooooh... nice artwork... with your permission, I'll play with this this weekend.

Paperbeam
01-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Permission not needed - it's your Kolywopter.

Glad to help out.

Terry

Support your local designers... nearly 250 instantly available models from independent designers ECardmodels.com Shop (http://www.ecardmodels.com/shop)

angevine
01-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Outersketcher,

Your designs and artwork are fantastic. Where do you get your ideas from?

outersketcher
01-27-2009, 01:24 AM
Well, I've been building what I believe and hope will be the final test build from the latest parts sheets this weekend. Mostly cutting... and cutting... and cutting... those circles are hell. The cutting compass is a blessing. You can see a photo of some of the cabin flooring and such. But the REAL star of the picture is the successful sub-assembly of the overhead instrument console.

I thought I'd also show a couple of my failures. : ) Two failed cabin sub-assemblies. Each one represents about three hours of cutting and gluing to get to the point of... well... utter failure.

...sigh...

They do represent progress tho. Because thanks to the failures, I now have a cabin design that works both as a design and as an assemblage of paper model parts.

As to how does one come up with ideas? Well, I'd say the vast majority of spaceships, and fantastic vehicles began as coffee machines, pencil sharpeners, flower pots, desk lamps,...etc. Take a look at the objects that surround you from a different viewpoint, and you might discover that the orange juicer on your kitchen counter would make a dandy space ship shape that no one has ever seen before.

I've included a couple of old pages from one of my field sketchbooks while at art school. They made us draw everything around us on a constant basis. What it does is to force you to stop and really try to understand what an object IS, what is it's purpose, how does it perform it's designated function and what else could it do or be....

The idea for the Kolywopter came to me one day at the local arboretum. I was watching tadpoles wriggle in a pond and wondered how it would look if one of them were to take flight. What would the little guy need to get air born? Well, wings of course; wings that he could tuck out of the way when back in the water, and he'd need some sort of jet pack or engine to propel himself forward... this thinking led to some idle sketching that then evolved into an outright flying machine.

It's why I call it the Kolywopter. The name kinda reminds me of the designs' origin in the tadpole.

One other thing... the best ideas in the world are worthless if you don't take the time to preserve them when they occur to you. You will NOT remember them when you need them. So write them down, or sketch them on paper.

David

willygoat
01-27-2009, 07:29 AM
Wonderful sketches! I like how your drawing are slightly more artistic than real line drawings. The Kolywopter is coming along nicely as well.

outersketcher
01-28-2009, 01:43 AM
The center console...

I'll turn off the auto flash for the next set of pictures.

Leif Ohlsson
01-28-2009, 02:22 AM
Just a few words to say that I dropped in on this thread only now (couldn't imagine how anything called "Kolywopter" would be of any interest - BIG mistake!). What a wonderful, delicious, charming project this is, and masterfully executed. I am so envious of your ability to use Sketchup & Illustrator in conjunction, to realize this particular brainchild of yours.

I am very much looking forward to the download!

Leif

outersketcher
02-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Thank you Lief and Willygoat! I really appreciate your comments!

Here are some more shots of the full test build. Some more detailed shots of how the doors are built and attached to the cabin... I know you've all seen shots of one of my earlier cabin test builds before. But I've had to scrap that build and start over with the new, larger sized parts sheets.

Turned out to be a wise decision... the larger size build exposed some structural weaknesses within the design of the wings and main "chasis". I'll show photos of the successful build of those elements later this week.

You can see the center and upper consoles installed within the cabin and you might even be able to pick out the teeny little switches on the upper console.

Seats will be installed next, then the center control console and controls.

David

B-Manic
02-03-2009, 12:18 AM
The Kolywopter is fantastic David. Those panels look real. I look forward to seeing the new wings.

Jan Hascher
02-03-2009, 01:59 AM
Hi David,
the Kolywopter somehow reminds me of the Fliewatüüt, a Chopper from a german TV series from the early 70s.
Robbi, Tobbi und das Fliewatüüt (2 DVDs): Amazon.de: Boy Lornsen: DVD & Blu-ray (http://www.amazon.de/Robbi-Tobbi-das-Fliewat%C3%BC%C3%BCt-DVDs/dp/B0009AM5T0)
Cheers
Jan

outersketcher
02-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Ha! That looks like it would have been a fun show to watch.

As to the wings... at the smaller size, the wings were simple in design, just two laminated layers of 65lb paper. Once the individual petals were assembled, the whole wing held it's shape nicely. And that's how I liked it... simple. But now that the model has been resized, they no longer can support their own weight. Now I'm forced to find a way to install some sort of inner reinforcement or gusseting per petal so that they can hold their own weight.

Or, I suppose I could just use thicker paper for the wings and keep the design as-is. They WILL hold their weight just fine if printed on 100 lb cover stock.

Frankly, the smaller bits and the tail struts work best if printed on regular-old typing paper, the wings on 100 lb cover stock and the rest of the model on 65lb stock. And then there's the transparent mylar.

Right now, I'm working under the assumption that most modelers won't want to bother with all of that and so I'm trying to design the thing to work printed only on the mylar and the 65lb cardstock.

David

John Bowden
02-05-2009, 07:49 AM
OS......... I've been watching this in utter awe and amazement.......... that's some neat stuff you've put down on paper and crafted out of paper.

Steam Punk stuff is really cool.... just remember to add alot of those big giant heat formed rivets to the outside:p

I really can't wait to see the "eel" powered car come to life.

john

outersketcher
02-06-2009, 03:51 AM
I got sick.... caught a cold. And since I was miserable at home with this cold, I figured I might as well use the time given to me by that nasty little bug to progress forward somewhat on the Kolywopter test build.

Learned a few things I did... like, for instance, I'd advise that you cut out the holes in the parts that require it BEFORE you cut out the actual parts themselves. If you don't do this, it's likely that the paper will split apart from the stress of cutting. Whereas cutting the holes out on a larger sheet of paper allows the paper to take up more of the stress... no tears or splits. So cut your holes out first, than cut out the delicate parts. And they are delicate. I found myself using tweezers often as I manipulated the weeny little bits into their stations of glory. I think the chair looks pretty good. And tho I was worried that the center instrument cluster stand might be a little too understated, it turned out rather nice as well.

The foot pedals will be connected to "rods" of rolled paper. That looks a little clunky I think but must be so to stay within the "it's all paper" idea. Frankly tho, I'd suggest that the modeler use a bit of wire or thread stiffened with super glue instead of the rolled paper.

Yes, I'm excited to get to work on the Eel powered Lantern Vehicle. It has all been designed in SketchUp is awaiting the transfer into illustrator for the construction of the parts sheets. But, I must finish this design first. Good incentive to keep me focused on completing this I guess.

Leif Ohlsson
02-06-2009, 04:02 AM
GREAT chair & instrument panel, and other details. I just wish I could manage making such good use of recurring colds.

Don't worry about reinforcing with wires. It is a highly recommendable practice, used in most paper models for landing gears and other details. In wing struts, for example, it greatly helps stability as well as ease and strength of attachments to wings & fuselage. Laminate between double layers of the part. Might be helpful for your wing problems?

Floral wire at different thicknesses are great. They bend, form & cut quite easily and are nice to handle that way. At the "Arts & Crafts" shops they can be had in ready-cut straight lengths around 10 inches at reasonable prices, usually in green, black or just plain natural rustiness. Receptors, if and when needed, can be easily made rolled paper tubes (or just stick the wire stubs through skin and into reinforced formers & bulkheads if suitably positioned).

Another way of increasing strength of small parts is to laminate a sheet of overhead transparency between layers of paper with pattern printed on them. Ordinary white glue works fine. A small part cut out from such a lamination will take drilling of small holes very well even if margins are small. Of course, as you point out, the holes should be drilled before cutting out the part. Good for rudder control horns and similar applications. Also for your rudder pedals?

These practices should be recommended, not frown upon - particularly if "making it all paper" results in a more difficult or inferior model than with readily available alternatives. The point about paper is not so much the material, but the possibility to print, add & redesign the model yourself. Paper is just the best available medium at present allowing this.

I've been wondering about the approximate scale of the thing. Looks to me like something around 1/16 - which is very nice indeed and greatly increases its attractiveness to me! (I would have rescaled it to this scale in any case...)

On the subject of formers and bulkheads in these scales, thickness becomes an issue. Laminating with 2 mm hard card results in parts which are very hard to cut. A much better option is to laminate 2 mm Depron (the white foamy stuff, originally used for insulating floors when installing electrically heated floors) between layers of paper, one or both sides printed with the patterns of the parts. Again, ordinary white glue brushed on to the foam sheet works fine, but be sure to laminate with paper on each side to avoid warping and achieve strength; dry out under pressure of course.

Such a lamination has excellent stability and cuts like butter. Also accepts wire stubs very easily. A pure pleasure to work with, I can assure you. Foam sheets in this approximate thickness can be had for free from your local paper or arts dealer, since they come as protective packaging for large sheets of paper, and they just leave them to recycling or throw them away. Break them up in the shop to your rough paper size, and cut clean to your prefered paper size after returning home.

Enough already...

Leif

willygoat
02-06-2009, 07:16 AM
This looks great Outersketcher!

cjwalas
02-06-2009, 08:06 AM
Definitely looking cool!
Chris

outersketcher
02-12-2009, 12:14 PM
I agree that we shouldn't restrict ourselves to the sole use of paper. Especially when the simple application of wire, acetate, and plastic can make the model even better. In fact, I heartily approve of anyone using bits of wire to improve the look of their own builds of the Kolywopter.

I intend to complete the test build entirely of paper (and acetate for the windows) to demonstrate that the model CAN be built without the addition of other materials for those modelers who shy away from such work.

Good stuff Leif... I'd like to try the foam.

And, maybe the application of a loop of wire in the wing petals?

As to the build. Well, the doors fell off... the simple paper hinge was too weak for repeated opening and closings of the doors.

....dangit...

No biggie. I'll leave the design as is. I've already designed an exterior, pin hinge that requires the use of a straight pin. The pin hinge mounts to the external side of the door and frame. I even like the look better. The builder can choose whichever method.

Today I have jpgs of some of the instructions illustrations. I'm going the "pink panther cartoon" route for the instructions... no talking... no language if at all possible, just imagery. I hope to make the instructions easy to understand on an international basis.

The part numbers will be added in the final pages. These are just the spot illustrations.

Leif Ohlsson
02-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Beautiful! - L.

B-Manic
02-12-2009, 03:28 PM
David - the images should be more than good enough with that level of detail. They look great.

Jan Hascher
02-12-2009, 03:57 PM
David - I like the style of instruction (do use it myself). But keep the images on vector basis as they are. This will result in smaller filesize later on.

Cheers
Jan

outersketcher
02-14-2009, 04:40 AM
Thank you Jan, I'll do that.

Tonight I mounted the other seat, a set of foot pedal controls that lead back into the under side of the cabin floor, built and installed one of the control sticks (red button and all) and constructed the teeny little fire extinguisher.

I know it's taking a while to do the interior... but the majority of the detail resides within the cabin. And the open design of the cabin itself does not lend itself to a slap-shod assembly. Almost done and I can proceed to the main support structure and tail boom.

The rounded upper dome of the fire extinguisher is simply a circle with a small pie-shape cut out of it. I gave it the domed shape by burnishing the back-side of the part against the palm of my hand with a round headed burnishing tool. I'm sure the rounded head of a dull pencil or wood dowel would work just as well.

David

Leif Ohlsson
02-14-2009, 06:28 AM
Ve-e-e-ry pretty! And the scale, David, any chance of estimating that?

Leif

willygoat
02-14-2009, 11:55 AM
It's, dare I say it, gorgeous!

outersketcher
02-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Almost done with the interior. Juusst....one.....more....control stick. Then re-attach the doors with their redesigned hinges.

Scale?... well, I'm ashamed to admit that determining scale has never been one of my talents.

I can tell you that I designated the diameter of the circle-side of the cabin in SketchUP to be 5'.

And if you build the model from the parts sheets as they are now, you'll get a cabin circle-side diameter of 3 1/8".

I'll have to google how to calculate scale and get back to you on that.

On a side note, I'd suggest that the modeler construct the rubber base of the control-stick from white-glue soaked tissue. This will allow you to push and shape the tissue into the illusion of a wrinkled rubber sleave. If not the tissue, I advise at least to crumple the paper cone in your hands several times so that it takes on a more flexible, wrinkled look. I'll do this tonight to demonstrate what I mean.

David

Toddlea
02-14-2009, 01:30 PM
About 1/19 scale.

outersketcher
02-16-2009, 11:55 PM
Thank you Toddlea for the scale estimate. I probably should have sized the model to a more common scale. I had wanted the Kolywopter to be as large as I could get it on the printed sheets. That's why the odd scale.

I hope you all don't have too much trouble scaling the model to the desired size you want.

Cabin interior is complete. Everything fits as it should. Good. I confess that I copped out on the final two foot pedal control-rods. Used the "peeled Q-tip" method. For those of you who don't have a clue what I'm talking about, if you slice down the length of a paper Q-Tip shaft... you can then gently peel off the layers of the rolled shaft until the diameter suits you.

You can see the crumpled paper cone that represents the rubber base of the control stick. Makes it look more life-like in my opinion. I colored it over with a black marker once it was all glued together.

The latest parts for the main structure assembly went together like a snap. You can see one of the previous test-builds sitting next to the parts. I really like the 90 degree "V" gouge for punching out enclosed square shapes. Saves a lot of time.

You can also see the "Martha Stewart" hole punch I got off ebay. Comes with three sized bits. Works really well, nice and smooth. It's amazing how important it is to use good, sharp tools when working with paper. I have another screw punch I got off ebay awhile back that was/is a piece of junk. Good'ol Martha blows it out of the water.

Finally, I've included some shots of the new-improved main structure assembly mounted to the cabin assembly.

Now... the tail boom. Which works okay if you use the thinner paper stock.

That's all for now.

David

willygoat
02-17-2009, 07:47 AM
Just amazing! Can't wait to see the tail boom. Lots of tubing :D

cjwalas
02-17-2009, 08:13 AM
Way cool. Keep up the great work!
Chris

Don Boose
02-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Yes. It IS an amazing project. The confluence of fantasy, design, art, and engineering -- not to mention some very high level model building skills. It has been fun watching the Kolywopter take shape.

Don

outersketcher
03-01-2009, 02:23 AM
I appreciate your interest in this project... even tho it has literally taken me years longer than I ever expected to finish. (I began the project in 2005). And believe me, your comments and suggestions have had a definitive effect on the design of the model.

The tubing.... Ahhhh.... I must admit that I was terrified that all those hours I'd spent flattening the tubes from SketchUp and tracing them in Illustrator would end up as a failure. But, I was delighted to find that the parts fit together fairly well. A good enough fit that I believe that your average modeler wont have much trouble assembling the tail boom.

I followed the advise of and simply wrapped the three main tubes and the four mounting tubes over simple bamboo skewers. (swiped from my wifes kitchen) In other words, any 1/8" dowel will work. The skewers were cheap and convenient.

The rest of the tubes are all simply rolled paper. I wish that I'd had the sense to clear coat the tube parts sheet before I cut them out and got glue all over them. As they are now, I can't remove the glue boogies without removing most of the ink as well. So, I'm leaving them as they are. Just looks more "used". ;)

Ohh.. it's important to note that the tubes are best printed on regular printer paper stock. Anything thicker just doesn't give a satisfactory, smooth, roll.

You can see in one of the photos the pile of failed tubes I went through when I first attempted the build using thicker paper. uughgh.. thinner is better.

The only tricky part is assembling the lower two support tubes to the tail frame assembly and to the main chassis. I found that it's best to first glue the two support tubes together into their "V" shape. I did this by positioning the tail boom assembly to the up-ended chassis with tiny spots of white glue to keep it from moving around. Than I positioned the lower, "V" strut assembly while the glue was still wet. This allowed me to make sure that the width of the open end of the "V" was correct to fit the brackets on the chassis. Once dry, I removed both the "V" assembly and the tail boom assembly and re-glued them back into place using super glue. I used a tad too much glue so as to give me the time to keep an eye on the position of the boom to ensure that it remained straight and plumb down the middle line of the model. Making adjustments when warranted.

Once the super glue dried, I was very pleased with how STRONG that little paper tube structure is. Granted, the large pieces are wrapped, bamboo skewers, but the rest is only rolled paper and glue.

I know I should move onto the landing gear now, but I'm keen to get the gas tank, and engine nacel built and installed. I also want to pull a set of thread "cables" through the tail boom before I install the...er... (here's where you aviation buffs cringe)... the rear wing thingies.

The instructions are also complete for the cabin assembly... have been toying with the idea of releasing the Kolywopter in stages vs waiting till the whole thing is ready.

B-Manic
03-01-2009, 10:29 AM
The results really show how much time and work you have put into this project David. The tail boom is excellent.

willygoat
03-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Wowsers that's nice David! You should have no trouble at all building a Bell 47 Sioux helicopter after all of that. :D

outersketcher
03-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Ah Ha! Somebody noticed. Yep Willygoat, the Bell 47 Sioux was the inspiration for the tail boom. I especially liked that complicated looking, yet simple in design four beam into the three beam junction. So I rather blatantly mimicked the design. ;)

Tho I did simplify the design a little bit.

PS... I forgot to give credit to Redhorse in the last post for his advice that led to wrapping the larger pieces around wood dowel. Very nice.

David

outersketcher
03-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Changed my mind.... went to work on the wheel struts instead. I've finally come up with a design that satisfies the demands of both form and function. (At least, as far as a paper model goes). Every previous design felt... well... tacked on... like an after-thought.

Granted, aerodynamics are NOT a strong point of these struts. But I threw THAT particular law of physics out the window at the beginning of the design. ;)

The image shows both the new strut design and the parts I will use to make a test-build this weekend.
David

Leif Ohlsson
03-06-2009, 01:48 PM
I am a sucker for all those lightening holes; like the inside of a Zeppelin!

Granted, aerodynamics are NOT a strong point of these struts

I've been thinking about this; not the aerodynamics, but the term for it - why not kolywopterics? Should cover the obviously complex interactions between the atmosphere and those wings...

Leif

B-Manic
03-06-2009, 01:53 PM
I like the look of the wheel struts David. They really suit the rest of the design. I'm thinking if there had been a Victorian era traffic/utility helicopter it would have looked very much like your design. With a little Verne fantasy mixed in of course.

THE DC
03-06-2009, 02:29 PM
I suspect it would be a "fascinating" encounter.

Looks awesome and i am eager to see your work.

Compliments,

The DC

:D

THE DC
03-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Your space habitat looks interesting too! I'll be trying the "haunted hallways" this weekend, if I can stay indoors!

;)

THE DC

John Bowden
03-06-2009, 10:19 PM
kolywopterics!... I like that one! ;) Good show Leif!

David...... man I keep on checking on this....... don't say much (hard to do with mouth wide open:p) it looks fantastic......... steam punk all the way!

john

outersketcher
03-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Physics... phfffft... I've got kolywopterics!

Thanks Lief.

The space habitat has been completed and broken up into flat pieces in SketchUp already. I'm dying to get back to it and start the Illustrator files, but must finish this design first... sigh..

I assembled the struts and the design works. Well, almost. :) There was a weak spot where the upper and lower parts of the struts met. So I've redesigned the parts sheet and will do another test build this weekend.

Wheels... you all know I've been struggling with the wheel design. I'd narrowed it down to the "petal" method or the "series of rings" method. Have built the petal version and while I like the roundness of the tire, this method is plagued with the "pillbug" look. And doesn't work for this particular model.

I'm going with the series of rings method and you can see the SketchUp model I built of the tire and the flattened parts sheet. I like it. Think it will work out nicely.

Again, test build this weekend. I'll have pictures then.

David

Jan Hascher
03-13-2009, 02:31 AM
Hi David,
please do stick with the rings. The flower method is the worst invention in history of cardmodels. I always shiver when I see these not-properly-put-together-wonder-if-its-my-fault nose cones, bombs and covers. The method is simply not usable in my opinion.

Oh and btw, can you add glue tabs instead of the triangles? They are a pain in the... to cut and the resulting surface then has a step.
Have you ever thought about using stacked card discs?

I really enjoy your built and design. Must be a pleasure to be able to work freely without the force of an original.

Cheers
Jan

Leif Ohlsson
03-13-2009, 02:41 AM
Can I just chip in and say that I agree with Jan (Hi, Jan!) on all points. Stacked card discs is a good standard method which will enable you to create rills in the tires, if you wish, and pattern by criss-crossing the finished wheel with a knife. See this (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/aviation/154-build-up-scale-1-20-republic-p-47d-25-halinski-3-06-a-6.html#post3413) for an example.

Leif

John Bowden
03-13-2009, 07:15 AM
Yeah....... count me in the group of petal haters!

What about Gil's tires (I know it's a type of petal design... but the good petals, not the bad petals)........... those are the most realistic tires around......... well except for Leif's tires on the P-39. ;)

john

Leif Ohlsson
03-13-2009, 07:36 AM
And Gil's Aircraft Tire Tutorial is here:

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/tutorials/1581-aircraft-tire-tutorial.html

It would be very good to see someone practising this method!

- L.

outersketcher
03-13-2009, 12:21 PM
If I were building this model for myself, I'd use the stacked disc method.

However, one of the goals for the design of the Kolywopter is to make it possible for anyone to build with no more than a knife, paper, some clear acetate and little to no previous experience building paper models.

So, I'll provide a choice for the discerning paper modeler and include parts sheets for both wheel construction methods.

I love Gils wheel tutorial. But I don't even have the tools yet required to build them that way... and I doubt your average beginner will either.

I will tho, I'm keen to try his method... have downloaded his wheel template. : )

You can see I included glue tabs for the butting edges of the rings. How do you use tabs on a round, ring with compound curves? I understand the concept of using separate glue tabs to keep the parts flush and used the method extensivly in my SnoCat build thread (http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158920&page=4) on the other site. But curves? Maybe I could create a second ring with those triangle tabs that gets glued to the backside of each ring? Thereby allowing the edges to butt together flush.

Petals are definitely out. ;)

THE DC
03-13-2009, 04:19 PM
Okay, Lief,

That's and excellent demo! I've never seen it so well explained.

Thanks!

The DC

cdavenport
03-14-2009, 01:59 PM
I peruse your webpage to check on your new sketches and designs. I have to say that once you are finished with the kolywopter, I would love to see the Steam Punk Whale, perhaps something 12-15 inches long. What a wonderful, whimsical design!

APA-168
03-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Fantastic work so far! I have been lurking for some time watching this build and I am very impressed with your design skills.

I have to ask a couple questions, if I may. I see you design in sketchup. How do you export the 2D files from sketchup? This is something I have struggled with. My current method, of using Sketchup's built-in exporter is imperfect since it is basically a screenshot. Is there some better method? My second question is, do you mind explaining how you do instructions? This is another issue with sketchup, the quality of the exports is low and its hard to make professional looking instructions. I fairly new to this whole design thing so I'm still figuring things out and am always trying to improve my methods. Many thanks in advance. :)

Leif Ohlsson
03-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Second that, on all points. Very interested, too! Particularly if you can manage it with the free version of Sketchup. - L.

outersketcher
03-15-2009, 04:23 PM
I was re-reading Ricks build thread of the P-47D that Leif linked to us... Holy smokes you guys are nuts! The level of detail and creativity is astounding. And I too squirrelled away Leif's tutorial for future reference.

The whale is in line. And I promise that I'm getting MUCH faster at this. First, I had to make all my mistakes with the Kolywopter. ;)

I use Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop and the free version of Google SketchUp on an Imac. SketchUp is a very simple 3D program that only allows the designer to work in co-planer surfaces. Many people view the co-planer limitations of the software as a bad thing. However, I see it as helpful advantage for designing something that will end up as a paper construct. For instance, you can make a dome shape in SketchUp, but you have to do from a series of shapes that naturally break down into flat pieces that can be re-assembled from paper in real life.

Here's what I do...

First I draw little sketches of the vehicle design in one of my sketchbooks. Then I use SketchUp to start carving out the design. Once done, I use a free Ruby script called Unfold (http://sketchuptips.blogspot.com/2007/08/plugin-unfoldrb.html) to.... well... unfold the entire design. This must be done plane by plane. Yes, it takes a while, but I am able to control EXACTLY how each individual part will lay in it's flattened state. So I don't mind the extra work.

There is another program for unfolding SketchUp designs called Waybe (http://waybe.weebly.com/) that will unfold the entire model in one move... but it costs money. I did get a chance to be a beta tester for them a while back and while I saw a lot of potential in the program, I couldn't get the program to break down some of my designs the way I wanted. Odd breaks and many of the shapes ended up unusable as paper model parts. Maybe they've resolved some of those issues since then...

Once I have all the parts flattened and laying on the same plane, I switch to the straight down view so that I'm looking directly down onto my newly flattened pieces. Move in as close as I can and export the image as a jpg to my desktop. I save the jpg as HUGE. In the case of the Kolywopter, I set the settings to 36 inches across at 300 dpi.

I open up Illustrator and import the jpg. Of course it comes in as a monstrous file that I then scale down to a more comfortable size on it's own, locked layer. Then it's just a matter of tracing over the parts on a new, artwork layer... toss the imported jpg and print and test build.

Yes, I know it's a little tedious. But it IS a low-brow solution that works. And it can be done completely with free software. I know there are several very good free programs available for download on the web that are similar to Illustrator and Photoshop. And besides, many of you are on PCs anyway, you can just use Pepakura to unfold your designs.

David

APA-168
03-15-2009, 04:28 PM
That's why I use sketchup as well...building hulls is very tedious, but with a plug-in called curvestitcher I can do it fairly quickly. Thank you for the information, it is helpful. I have less control over the quality of the exports on a Windows computer, so I'll have to borrow a Mac and try it out...

Leif Ohlsson
03-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks from me, too. Feel a lot encouraged by your seemingly tedious way of going about things. Suits me fine - and it seems I could do it!

Leif

cdavenport
03-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Outersketcher, you wouldn't happen to know if Sketchup can import a .dwg file would you. I have a design of the Kronosaurus-powered submarine from Dinotopia that I would love to build. I did it all in Autocad and it is really detailed.

rickstef
03-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Sketchup can import a dwg or a dxf file

cdavenport
03-17-2009, 06:22 AM
Thanks so much. I am going to give it a go.

outersketcher
03-17-2009, 11:04 AM
I like SketchUp...mostly because it's free. ;) But don't be fooled into thinking it's a weak program due to it's price. Programmers around the world have been creating little add-on files, or plugins called "Rubys", which are scripting programs designed to enhance the abilitie's of the base-program. APA-168 is right, if you find that SketchUp can't perform a particular task for you... it's likely that there's a downloadable ruby script that will.

Some of my own favorite ruby scripts perform functions like installing a center point on a selected plane, unfolding planes, enhanced alignment functions, stiching odd edges together, creating new faces (or planes) and... this is a cool one... skinning over ribbed structures. You nautical and aviation designers might like that one.

Oh, and by the way, I imported the Kolywopter schematics I'd created in illustrator as .dwg files into Sketchup to use as templates for the modeling of the parts.

David

Leif Ohlsson
03-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Skinning over ribbed structures, that's were I gave up during my first attempts. Please, oh, please, what's it called, and I should be able to find it...

Leif

THE DC
03-17-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm waiting for the OEM version after you're done with the prototype!
:cool:

BTW: The interior is looking thrashing!

The DC

outersketcher
06-03-2009, 06:17 PM
No... I'm not dead... just swamped with more projects than I have time to complete them. My goal is to complete this build and have the Kolywopter available for download by the 30th of June.

Have installed the landing gear struts... I like how fragile they look. But they are deceptively strong.

As you all know, I struggled for a while trying to figure out how best to provide for juicy, round, bouncy wheels. I ended up making 2 separate sheets of parts. One for the the disk-method and one for the tabbed method. I chose to build the tabbed wheels for this prototype. I like them. They look a little goofy on the vehicle, but so do ALL bush-plane wheels. That's the point really.

Sorry no pictures this post. I'll include them in my next post.

David

willygoat
06-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Oh goody!!!! I was was beginning to worry. Glad to see your still working. :D

outersketcher
06-09-2009, 02:32 AM
The struts look delicate don't they. I'm trying to convey a sense of "delicate brutality", like a butterfly constructed from pig iron.

In any case, they work. By the way, the axles are cut-up, paper Q-tip shafts.

The wheels...

As mentioned before, I designed separate wheel parts sheets from which the builder can choose. The one uses the "disk" method of construction and the other uses the "tab and glue" method. For this prototype, I chose to build the tab and glue wheels.

Each wheel is constructed from a series of concave and convex rings... each with an extra "tab" layer glued to the back to allow the rings to butt together when assembled.

David

outersketcher
06-09-2009, 02:35 AM
Okay,... more on the wheels....

Once the basic "rubber" part of the wheel had been assembled, I gave it a quick spray of clear-coat for strength. When dry, I gently rounded all of the butt-joints and glued edges with 220 grit sandpaper. Then, I applied some automotive glazing putty over some of the more obvious gaps and low spots and sanded again. Once that was done, I glued on the three, tread strips. One on the center, and one on each upper side.

I brush-painted the tire (or "tyre" for you english blokes..; )...) with a mixture of burnt umber and paynes gray acrylic paint. Those two colors mixed together make a nice, realistic "rubber".

The wheel "bearings" are made by wrapping a length of strip paper around a spare Q-tip shaft. Touch a tiny drop of super-glue to one of the rolled ends and pull the rolled assembly off the shaft. Add another touch to the other side and you have a strong, bearing that fits the shaft perfectly.

I think they look pretty good.

David

outersketcher
06-09-2009, 02:44 AM
Ahhhh.. the wheels are now installed. I wanted big, bouncy, almost plump looking wheels like you see on some of the bush-planes flying today.

I think I accomplished that okay.

Now, I know that these wheels may look like a pair of daddy's loafers on a 2-yr-old's feet... but, once the engine nacelle, the wings, and the tail are installed, those goofy looking wheels will fit right in.

Eventually, there will two foot steps on each strut, one on the wheel hub itself and one about halfway up the strut.

On to the tail section...

Don Boose
06-09-2009, 06:59 AM
This has been an amazing project from the beginning. A true work of art, craft, imagination, and engineering.

I think the proportions look perfect, and very pleasing to the eye.

Don

eatcrow2
06-09-2009, 07:01 AM
Fantastic work!! Just blown away by this whole project...

cdavenport
06-09-2009, 07:04 AM
That is a work of art!

B-Manic
06-09-2009, 08:02 AM
The Kolywopter is looking FANTASTIC David. The wheels and tail boom are perfect.

Reporting live from sunny Halifax NS

willygoat
06-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Those wheels are super! Great job :D

outersketcher
06-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Thank you for your comments! It helps to spur me on. I've been scheduling my time and while I still think I can get the parts sheets completed by the 30th.... I'll most likely need another week to complete the instructions.

I redesigned the new door hinges today while at lunch from work. Tonight, I'll try them out. Hopefully, this set will work as I need them to.

Gotta get those doors back on...

David

outersketcher
06-10-2009, 03:12 AM
Better door hinges.

The first design was simple; just a single piece of paper to act as the hinge for the door.

Well, that didn't work out very well. In fact, after a few opening and closings of the doors, the simple creased-paper hinge became fatigued at the crease and tore off.

So instead, I used the pattern for a hinge that I'd designed for the entry hatch to a steam punk deep-sea exploration-sub I'd recently worked up in SketchUp. (oooh, can't wait to start laying out the parts sheets to that one).

You can see that I laminated several sheets of card stock to achieve the desired thickness for the hinge parts. And I used a finger-drill to gently drill out the holes needed to fit in a length of wire to act as the hinge pin.

Then each piece was given a coat of super-glue to stiffen them up, lightly trimmed to allow for smooth, free movement, and the holes were reamed out once more with the tiny drill bit to remove any burs created by the super-glue soaking into the paper.

The hinge parts were assembled at the end of long length of wire to allow for ease of handling. Once one end had received a drop of super-glue to hold the wire in place, the opposite end of the wire was trimmed to the hinge and also received a tiny drop of super-glue.

Well, there you go.. a tiny, but fully functional door hinge.

Once mounted to the doors, I was very pleased at how the hinges look on the side of the cabin, and with how the doors opened and closed freely.

I painted the hinges with a little red-orange acrylic paint.

Next.... the tail assembly...

David

Don Boose
06-10-2009, 05:45 AM
A beautiful piece of engineering. Everything about this model is elegant and functional.

Don

eatcrow2
06-10-2009, 05:59 AM
Super SBS photos!!! This has to be one of the more interesting designs that I've seen, and your great in-progress descriptions and photos are icing on the cake..

outersketcher
06-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks Peter and Don, I'd rather post the photos in the actual post like some of the other members here do. Anybody know how that's done?

THE DC
06-10-2009, 12:33 PM
SHHHHWWEEEEEET!

The DC

willygoat
06-10-2009, 07:25 PM
David- for the photos, you can just paste in the image code if you use something like photobucket. That's how I do mine. The hinge is very cool BTW. :D

cdavenport
06-11-2009, 06:48 PM
I thought I was nuts; those hinges are insane! What a piece of work. You and DaVinci would have been pals for sure.

outersketcher
06-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Do you think the hinges are too much? I don't want to release a model that no one will build! Maybe the builder can just have the option of building the hinge for an opening door or simply gluing the door in place.

I've spent a lot of time trying to make this a detailed LOOKING model, and yet one that can be built by anyone with a hobby knife, a pair of scissors and some glue...

okay... maybe some wire too... and... yeah... it would help if you had a circle cutter as well... and then there's the sandpaper and nail files needed to shape the wheels...

and tweezers... yeah... and Q-tips to make the wheel axle-shafts... and it sure is nice to have a can of Super77 spray-glue on-hand for the laminating... and...and...

Awwww shoot! I don't want to scare people away from the model!

Oh well.

Currently, I'm on my third engine test-build. Mostly because of the offset mesh grating I want in the rear cowl and how the struts meet the body of the engine itself. I finally had to scrap the original strut design on the grounds that they would be too difficult for your average modeler to reproduce. The screen capture is of the redesigned struts and supports as seen from Sketchup. This design simply relies on a piece of paper wrapped around either a "dowel" of tightly rolled paper or the body of a wooden toothpick to achieve an airfoil look. The ends of the struts rest against the strong, but simple in design, half-moon brackets mounted to the engine body. Instead of my previous attempts to mate the compound curves of the air foiled strut directly to the body itself.

I'm still aiming for that June 30th completion goal!

David

willygoat
06-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Looks great David! I'll be watching here come the 30th. Tick tock!

outersketcher
06-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Alright,... I did NOT make the deadline I'd set for the completion of the Kolywopter. However, I DID get a lot of work done. In fact, I keep having to pull myself back stop myself from noodling the design with a lot of pointless details.

So what do I have to show for myself?? Well, no pictures yet.... but I've resolved the engine nacelle, and the gas tank, and the control strings that pass through the tail boom and more.

I am not aware of many paper model designs that use the thickness of the paper as part of the model. However, I've done so extensively in the Kolywopter design... hope it's not a mistake to do so.

cdavenport
06-30-2009, 01:32 PM
No, no! Insane is a compliment! Everything you are doing pushes the limits of paper modeling. The detail is going to be wild and people are going to love building/displaying your creation.

Can you give us an idea of the finished size?

THE DC
06-30-2009, 01:37 PM
We are waiting with baited breath...

How do you bait breath anyway?

Now there's a new design for you to work on!

The DC

outersketcher
06-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Oh believe me The DC... I'm baited to the gills! I wanna get this thing done. Mostly because I've since learned how to design better models structurally speaking and I've got several other vehicles designed in SketchUp and waiting in line for laying out onto parts sheets. But, I needed to make all my mistakes on this first design first I guess. ; )

Cdavenport, the parts sheets are built to a 1/19 scale. I know it's an odd scale, but I wanted to get it as big as I possibly could on the parts sheets. Looks like the wingspan will be approximately 26" from tip to tip with the wings fully extended.

I'm not really sure that the wings will be able to support thier own wheight at that scale... At least not in their current design of simple laminated sheets.

Retired_for_now
06-30-2009, 03:11 PM
Paper is suprisingly strong as a structural member - if properly oriented. You can use light card to build a box beam just using five long joined rectangles, fold between and overlap/glue the outer two rectangles (fairly stiff, can rack and twist though), a triangular beam using four side pieces with two overlapped to yield three faces (very stiff), or you can glue up an I beam. Make a vertical web (can be laminated from several layers) as tall as possible to fit the wing's thickness and glue caps on the top and bottom (also laminate if needed). Might be tough to create a nice straight beam - but should be strong once you're done.

BTW - most light aircraft wing spars are laminated I beams (often lightened with holes in the vertical web). They stay stiff because any bending get transfered into an attempt to stretch either the top or bottom cap - and paper don't stretch.

Yogi - likin' this nano-engineered carbon composite construction

THE DC
06-30-2009, 03:41 PM
[QUOTE=outersketcher;"Oh believe me The DC... I'm baited to the gills! I wanna get this thing done. Mostly because I've since learned how to design better models structurally speaking and I've got several other vehicles designed in SketchUp and waiting in line for laying out onto parts sheets. "

Like an interesting spacestation I've been eyeing....

The DC

cdavenport
06-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Cdavenport, the parts sheets are built to a 1/19 scale.
I'm not really sure that the wings will be able to support thier own wheight at that scale... At least not in their current design of simple laminated sheets.

The scale is exciting! I love big models. As for the wings, forgive my presumption by suggesting mylar covering. Your design is so organic that DaVinci's wings, with their delicate ribbing, come to mind. When I build your model, that is what I intend to do.

Your work is truly creative and inspiring!

B-Manic
06-30-2009, 10:28 PM
We are waiting with baited breath...

How do you bait breath anyway?

Now there's a new design for you to work on!

The DC

----------------------------------
| You put a worm on your tongue! |
----------------------------------

THE DC
07-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Manic;"You put a worm on your tongue"

But I don't like tequila???!!!

The DC

outersketcher
07-02-2009, 06:45 PM
I've always thought it would be fun to build an aviation model completly out of colored, translucent, sheet plastic. You know, use the neon colors... and then hang the model from the cieling and shine a light down on it and watch the whole thing glow as the light disperses itself throughout the surface area of the translucent plastic parts.

would be neat effect I'll bet...

I saw a model treated similarly by an industrial design major at the art school I attended.

David

Retired_for_now
07-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Built a balsa model once, painted the structure black, then covered it with Saran Wrap (which does shrink in a warm oven - sometimes a lot) instead of tissue paper. After a redo it looked interesting - no colored effects just an x-ray type view.

Yogi

outersketcher
07-16-2009, 04:45 PM
A quick progress update. Since this is my first real attempt at a paper model, I did everything wrong of course. ; )

I've spent every spare moment I had over the last couple of weeks rebuilding the engine nacelle, cable boxes and mounts, the gas tank, and the wing engagement system to ensure a better fit and also to simplify the design for easier building.

I had to force my self to throw out the oxygen tanks, hoses, and canister battery-packs I had mounted to the back of the plane. It was getting too "techie-noodely". And as such, the model had begun to lose it's character.

My next post will contain pictures of the test-build of the engine nacelle, gas tank, and thread or twine cabling to the tail section, as well as shots of the entry steps for the wheels and struts.

However, since I know we all like pictures. I've included a glimpse at a couple of the next models in line. Rest assured tho.. THESE models have been built correctly to begin with, so it should go much faster to get them flattened into parts sheets.

You've seen the space habitat and the eel-powered lantern vehicle (EPLV), but you haven't seen the undersea exploration sub.

David

B-Manic
07-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Very nice stuff, I like the gold fish sub. The space habitat appears to be a ring world like David Niven's Dyson Cluster inspired creation.

cdavenport
07-16-2009, 05:52 PM
Creative genius! What about the whale?

outersketcher
07-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Creative genius! What about the whale?

The whale is definitely in line for production... it just hasn't made it to SketchUp yet.

David

Ron Caudillo
07-18-2009, 12:07 AM
...I had to force my self to throw out the oxygen tanks, hoses, and canister battery-packs I had mounted to the back of the plane. It was getting too "techie-noodely". And as such, the model had begun to lose it's character...

David

I have been following this thread since the very beginning and I must say this has been (and still is) a very interesting and enjoyable design thread.

I love the design and your process. Thanks for sharing.

Would you consider making an "accessory" pack consisting of those parts you decided to leave out (or maybe give us some photos, drawings) so that those that love to trick out our builds can do this? Thanks for your consideration!

Best Regards,

cdavenport
07-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Yea, I second Ron's request. It gives us the opportunity to personalize our Kolywopter.

sjsquirrel
07-28-2009, 12:41 PM
I can't believe I missed this thread!
Fantastic work outersketcher. I've learned a lot just reading through the thread. I love the little hinges you designed for the door. Look forward to seeing the finished kit, and whatever you design next.

Steve

outersketcher
08-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Well... I've got the crop spraying equipment with chemical tank, the simple cargo net (complete with several wooden crates full of chickens) and the cow carrier straps (but no cow), and I really wanted to make a geological survey version. I don't know what a geological survey version would need as far as alterations and equipment go... but I love the words "geological survey plane".

It just sounds really cool.

I've also got some little chip bags, crushed soda cans and old, natty photographs of the pilots' sweethearts that the modeler can use to personalize the interior of the cabin.

I have to be careful tho... I tend to obsess in the details... the fire hydrant for example, had an intricately detailed gauge. Than I discovered that all the detail was lost when printed on paper. I wasted hours of my time noodling the little details that the average home printer isn't capable of printing out anyway.

David

Jan Hascher
08-17-2009, 04:43 AM
Hi David,
it helps a lot keeping a 1mm cube inside your design window for reference. I use it myself to stop me from doing too much details.

Cheers
Jan

Wyvern
08-17-2009, 12:12 PM
I like your designs, David- very whimsical. I'm looking forward to your kitting up your "sailfish sub" and making it available. Fantasy submarines are a fave of mine.

Regards,
Wyvern

outersketcher
08-24-2009, 02:08 AM
Steps for the landing gear. One welded to the actual strut and the other becomes part of the wheel hub. On the actual plane the wheel step is designed to be bottom-heavy and rotates freely so that it is constantly level whether the plane is in flight or while at rest on it's landing gear and tail. However, since this is only a model, I just glued the wheel step as it would be if the plane were at rest on it's landing gear.

PS. I'll include the cube in all my photos from here on out to provide a sense of scale.

David

outersketcher
08-24-2009, 02:29 AM
The engine nacelle...

This assembly requires the use of an inner support structure. The parts are laminated 3x for strength and rigidity.

photo#1
The four little brackets are the mounts for the struts that lift the engine up above the framework of the Kolywopter.

photo#2
Each side of the engine nacelle has a spacer piece laminated 3x and colored black. This inconspicuous little part really helps to add to the character of the fully assembled engine nacelle.

photo#3
back tabs to help pull the compound curves of the nacelle shape together.

photo#4
The skin is wrapped around the inner structural piece. Here you can see the strut mounts as attached to the body of the nacelle.

photo#5
Now for the end pieces, these look REALLY difficult to build. However, in actuality they went together with little fuss.

The final third of the end assembly walls are rolled tightly and then the wall is folded up against the inside grill work. I found it much easier to control the rolled end if the end assembly skins were printed on regular 'ol printer paper. But there was some minor color drift.

The final result is an end piece that curves from the base both inward and narrows while also curling into itself.

It worked... just as I'd hoped it would.

I will remove the black edge-lines from the parts sheet artwork tho... I think the black lines have spoiled the effect somewhat on the test build.

David

outersketcher
08-24-2009, 02:48 AM
Engine nacelle-final assembly and rear grill work.

photo#1
Here you can see the essential rolled shape of the walls for the end pieces. The rolled part fits right over top of the grillwork.

photo#2
I haven't gone into any detail over the intake scoops, the air filter and the exhaust assembly.... but you can see them here in-place.

photos#3-6
the rear end assembly sports a paper screen mesh that is offset from the engine. Hopefully providing the illusion of depth and detail. To cut out the fine spaces in between the grill lines, I found that it was best to first spray the piece with a clear coat for strength. Then I sprayed the back-side of a strip of painters masking tape and rolled the spray glued side to a piece of spare cardboard. This left a sticky-side up surface for me to cut the delicate parts of the grill work. The tape holds the fragile little strips in place as I cut out the spaces in between. If I had tried cutting out the grill spaces on a non-sticky surface, the strips move from the presence of the knife. Making it almost impossible to get consistently, clean and straight cuts.

Once the grill work pieces were cut, I colored each with a black marker and then touched each one with a bit of super glue for strength.

The next step was to add spacers to the backside to offset the grill work from the back piece... providing the illusion of depth.

I've since decided that doing both the vertical and the horizontal lines are too much. The final model will only make use of the horizontal grill work to allow easier viewing through the slats.

Next step... mount the engine nacelle to the Kolywopter.

outersketcher
08-24-2009, 03:03 AM
Now to mount the engine nacelle to the frame of the Kolywopter.

The struts are simple. They don't fold in half tho, must be rolled so that you end up with the edge-profile of a tear-drop. The rounded end facing into the direction of the wind. (facing towards the front of the vehicle).

Although the paper struts will support the engine nacelle and propeller, I chose to add a length of steel wire to the rounded end of each strut for added strength... (and piece of mind).

I'd forgotten how forcefully steel wire can shoot from the end of a pair of clipper pliers and accidentally drove this length into the palm of my hand.

...ouch..

And well, there you have it. The engine has been mounted and looks good. I'm pleased with how the end-assemblies of the engine nacelle turned out and with the overall look and feel of the model as a whole to date.

My next step will be to install the propeller, the gas tank, the gas hose-line, and the electrical wiring from the engine to the cabin. I hope to pull-off the two lines with paper.

I did forget to mention that the engine nacelle and the propeller are designed to accept a standard paper Q-tip as the shaft.

David

Wyvern
08-24-2009, 08:13 AM
This is simply amazing work, David. It's mind-boggling, the results you are achieving in this medium. Those wheels look like actual hard rubber!

Looking forward to your next installment!

Wyvern

B-Manic
08-24-2009, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the mega update David. The kolywopter continues to amaze and amuse me. That engine is fantastic, very retro, and it has the perfect exhaust. Did you solve the blade dilemma you were having?

Sorry you had to suffer for your art, ouch indeed.

Cheers
~ Douglas

outersketcher
08-24-2009, 09:42 AM
I think this phrase uttered by that ancient comic sage Garfield upon finding his puppy pal Odie up in a tree applies here...

"it's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do"

: )

I forgot to mention that mounting all four of those support struts to both the engine nacelle and to the frame while simultaneously trying to keep it all from wobbling apart and tumbling to pieces was a special little trip through hell.

"blade dilemma" Douglas? Sorry, can't remember what that was.

Thanks for the compliment on the wheels... every technique used on them was learned from you all here at this forum.

So keep those ideas coming!

David

cdavenport
08-24-2009, 10:50 AM
We are all waiting with baited breath for the time that you release this to us. Stop your life and finish the Kolywopter!!! Your family won't even notice the difference. LOL

elliott
08-24-2009, 11:02 AM
This really is a marvelous piece of work David. I've been watching, just haven't commented because everyone else beats me to it! Watching you solve problems has been especially helpful. I'm looking forward also to the completion of some of the other models on your website.

B-Manic
08-24-2009, 12:29 PM
"blade dilemma" Douglas? Sorry, can't remember what that was.

David

You had mentioned, much earlier, that when you changed the scale, the wings were not able to support their own weight. Re-reading that post I see that you also stated that this was resolved by using 100lbs paper. Sorry for any confusion, I'll blame that one on my partial recall.

cheers
~ Douglas

outersketcher
08-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Ahh! yes, actually that's still a major problem that I've been circling for while now. The simpler design worked wonderfully at the smaller scales. However, once I resized the parts sheets to about 1/19 scale... I doubt that the simple lamination of the wing petals will be able to hold their own weight. I've been looking into some kind of inner structure for each petal, but I really don't want to do that if I can help it. I'd rather keep those wing petals as simple as possible.

David

cdavenport
08-28-2009, 09:21 AM
I have an alternate solution to respectfully suggest for the completion of the wings that will preserve their delicate appearance.

Reviewing the initial design concept on your web page, it appears that the wings have multiple layers, an expandable type design such as that we would see on a dragonfly.

Why not take the same approach to your design? However, instead of going with pure paper, why not use wooden skewers as the spars and parchment paper or japan tissue for the actual wing surface.

The skewers would be sanded to give an airfoil shape and tapered towards the end. Japan Tissue, available in a wide range of colors and easily decorated would allow us to individualize our Kolywopters.

The wing ribbing, which is evident in your concept drawing, can be easily exectuted by gluing strips of paper to the underside of the japan tissue. Once you gave the ribs a curvature and lsealed them with CA (superglue), the wing would hold its shape forever!

As an added precaution, use a clear spray to seal the wing surface in its entirety.

Just a suggestion for the designer. Makes me even more anxious to see the Kwopter released. I am thinking of doing mine in UGA Bulldog markings since they are the local football heroes.

Wyvern
08-28-2009, 10:21 AM
If you do a Dawg 'copter, Major, I'll be compelled to do one in the colors of my alma mater, the national Champion FLORIDA GATORS! We could post them together around the time of the Florida-Georgia game.
Best of luck to the Dawgs this year- except for that ONE game in November!

Regards,
Wyvern (UF, Class of 85)

cdavenport
08-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Fortunately, I am not ate up. I live in a neighborhood about 15 minutes away from Sanford Stadium, home of the Dawgs.

I imagine the fervor there in Gatorland is just like it is here in Dawgville. I just sit back and laugh. There is so much hoopla over the team every year and the big talk is always about the GA/Fl game.

That would be fun for us to do Kwopters in the various liveries and do some "Dawgfight" photos.

Hey, Outersketcher! Pick up the pace; we have an important game coming up, and we need our Dawgwopter and Gatorwopter to spice things up!

Wyvern
08-31-2009, 07:21 AM
Hear hear!

Actually, 'Sketcher, I'm just amazed at the level of detail you are designing into this model. So take your time- the love you have for this project is showing in the stellar design work you're accomplishing.

Wyvern

cdavenport
08-31-2009, 05:58 PM
Me, too. I'm a detail fanatic. The more you design, the more I will build. Looking forward to the day when you release your model.

outersketcher
09-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Good thinking Davenport. Thank you.

I'd really hoped to keep the usage of building materials other than paper to a minimum... however, as it stands now... I'm already using bamboo skewers to add strength to the tail boom, lengths of steel wire in the engine nacelle struts, button twine to imitate the flight-control cables, and of course, sheets of clear acetate for the windows.

...sigh...

I guess I can't really in all honestly call this a "pure" paper model any more.
Rather, its an "enhanced" paper model. ;)

Good news! One of you has agreed to do a beta build. I'll be sending him the model and instructions in sections. It's one thing for the designer to build what he sees in his mind... it's another for a builder to try to duplicate the same thing using only a set of instructions and his/her own intuition. We'll see how that turns out. : )

Last night I assembled the wing extensor drive belt. The design calls for a flexible, toothed belt that will then need to fit snugly into the pulley on the electric motor and the wing extensor pulley.

The following is the solution I devised to allow anyone to reliably build a good looking toothed drive-belt.

There are two parts. The actual belt itself, and the teeth. The belt is a rectangle folded in half, leaving a small bit of paper off each alternate fold half at the ends. This creates a recessed area for glueing together once the teeth have been installed.

The teeth are merely a set of strips lain out inside a rectangle. Cut the long ends of each strip. No need to be precise at the ends. You'll see why later.

Lift up the uncolored strip sections with a pair of scissors and snip them off.

The folded and glued belt piece witch contains both belts printed onto the one strip is glued to the strips. Rolled flat with a roller and then cut out.

As you can see, there is lots of room on either side of each belt. This makes it easier to glue down the belt strips and cut them out.

Worked out fantastic. Better than I'd hoped.

After a little touch-up with a black marker I had a realistic looking little toothed belt.

David

Wyvern
09-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Sheer artistry, David.

Don't worry about the "other materials". Lots of card models are really multimedia.

Your Kollywopter is simply astounding. Like Major Davenport, I look forward to building it.

Wyvern

outersketcher
09-02-2009, 02:14 AM
The extensor system electric motor, pulleys and drive belt in-place.

I don't like the pulleys in black....they should be grey or maroon like the body of the motor.

Will change their color on the parts sheets.

It's hot... the forest fires are burning up the hillsides and the air smells of smoke. Time to go to bed and lay panting under the ceiling fan all night.

David

maurice
09-02-2009, 02:30 AM
Thanks for this David. I'm really enjoying watching you make art out of imagination and technology.

cdavenport
09-02-2009, 08:23 AM
This is really incredible!

redd9
09-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Great Build, well done.:)

outersketcher
09-02-2009, 03:11 PM
On the subject of edge coloring...

I like to use PrismaColor art markers (http://www.prismacolor.com/sanford/consumer/prismacolor/product/subCategory.jhtml?subCat=SNPRCat100061). For three reasons...

1) The markers are two-sided. With a large, tapered, brush-tip on one end; and a hard, fine-point on the other end.

2) The markers are color-matched to the PrismaColor colored pencils (http://www.prismacolor.com/sanford/consumer/prismacolor/product/category.jhtml?cat=SNPRCat100001). This allows me to enjoy the advantages of both the colored pencils and markers. Switching back and forth between the two to suit my needs, without having to worry too much about color-shift.

3) I can buy them anywhere. PrismaColor markers and colored pencils can be found at nearly any art store in the U.S.

David

outersketcher
09-14-2009, 12:35 AM
control cables...

The control cables exit through this boxy little piece of machinery. The threads themselves are knotted and fed through an offset piece that is set back from the front surface. Provides some depth.

The threads lead through the inside of the tail structure to a tiny little insert piece that fits at the end. This end piece will soon be covered by the rudder and tail flaps.

I added a drop of super glue to that little tail piece for strength... than made the holes for the threads with a modelers hand-drill.

Oh yeah... see that left-hand door? The whole thing recently warped and partially delaminated itself. I'm not sure why. I'm guessing due to the recent heat wave and humidity we've been having here in SoCal. I'll let you know what I had to do to repair it.

David

outersketcher
09-14-2009, 12:45 AM
The wing cables winch...

Tiny ain't it. I've super glued the threads for the wing cables to the back-side of the winch... wrapped them around the roller once and now they lead up to the "needles eye" where they will fan out to the wing petals.

The propeller...

The toothpick does NOT go all the way through the body of the propeller. In fact, what you are looking at are two separate toothpick halves. Fitted into receptor slots on a disk. This allows me to punch a hole through the disk so that I can mount the propeller on the stationary shaft on the engine.

An end cap that looks like the main bolt provides the stopper to keep the propeller on the shaft when it's spun.

I've placed a couple of offers on houses this weekend... so you may not see much of me for a couple of months. It's most likely that next time I post... I'll be done with the test build.

....err... I hope...

David

cdavenport
09-14-2009, 08:23 PM
For heaven's sake, don't damage the model in the move! Good luck. Been there, done that....too many times.

Retired_for_now
09-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Not sure how to fix warping - I've not had any problems with the paper on models currently living boxed in the garage (been up to 100 with 80% humidity on hot days - metal roof on the house and no insulation above the garage). There's no paint/varnish/fixative on the models so the paper may be "breathing" equally on both sides - so no warpage. I'm still using Titebond II from my carpentry bench (exterior, water resistant yellow glue) - so I don't expect any glue failures.

Experience with wood tells me you need to either seal all the surfaces or none (and avoid uneven exposure to moisture/heat) to prevent warping. Might look at the paper's grain direction when building (it will tear easier in one direction) and laminate parts with the layers' grain oriented perpendicular to each other - like making plywood.

Looking at your picture - it might be the plastic panel and not the paper driving the warping. Some plastics warp heavily with very low heat. You might try testing samples with a heat gun/hair dryer before using the material. If it's the plastic you can cut out and replace it - I can't think of any way to stabilize it if the plastic is doing the warping since the plastic is probably much stronger than the paper/card.

Admittedly, I don't have much experience compared to the pros here - hopefully they have a better answer.

Still looks great - and good luck with the house!

Yogi

outersketcher
12-07-2009, 03:19 PM
Just popping in to let everyone know I'm still around. And that I'm itching to get the kolywopter finished. However, I wont be able to resume untill we've finished the whole house buying thing...

I'm seeing some very nice work here on the thread. Makes it a pleasure to look around it does...

David

cdavenport
12-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Merry Christmas! Hope the house thing works out well for you and your family.

Wyvern
12-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Glad to see you back, David. Hope the move-dust settles down quickly for you!

Wyvern

outersketcher
01-20-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm not dead, haven't lost interest in the Kolywopter AT ALL. I've just had to focus my heart and mind on getting my family into a home. To give you an idea of what it's been like for us...

We've been looking since July of last year. We've made signed offers on more than 36 separate houses to date. With no positive results yet. Although several had responded favorably at first.

Usually what happens is that the houses get snatched up from under us by cash wielding investors.

My little family and I can't compete with that.

So, we keep offering the maximum we can with our cumbersome, FHA first-time-buyer loan.

It's heartbreaking to say the least. We don't even dare to get excited about any particular house any more.

It WILL happen for us... it's just taking a while. And my wife and I spend most of our spare time working on the problem.

I have the Kolywopter mounted in a position of high visability in my studio. I see it and think about it everyday. The Tail section and the wings... that's all that's left to do... Geez, a couple of days of hard work could finish the project.

Hhhhhmmm... maybe I could call in sick for a day or two...

: )

David

B-Manic
01-20-2010, 12:56 PM
I can appreciate being a first time home buyer, trying to balance what you can afford, location and meeting your family living requirements. It can be very time consuming and stressful, especially with my wife. The older she gets the more she finds to worry about. ;)

Best of luck to you - I'm sure you will get what you need eventually.

~ cheers
Douglas

SJPONeill
01-20-2010, 01:16 PM
No worries...first home hunting can be pretty traumatic but stay the course: to be able to say 'our home' is a payoff all its own...

PS. Make sure it has a big wing for the model display...

Zathros
01-20-2010, 04:26 PM
I live in the only house I have ever purchased. I found it the day it came on the market, I was preapproved on the mortgage and had $60,000 to put down. I told them I wanted the house for the asking price but that I was looking at another house, if they gave me a legally binding acceptance of my offer I would buy the house but I had to know in 4 hours, I would give them a $30K binder and I was also abel to close in 21 days.. I had an agreement by 11 p.m. that evening. That was a Wednesday, by Saturday there were over 300 calls on the home. It was the last entry level home in this upscale Connecticut town. It has doubled in value in the lasts 8 years, even with all that's ging on in the housing market, houses in this price range are unaffected in Connecticut, there aren't enough of them. I had no other home that I was looking at, the whole story I gave them was a bluff, they winked.

outersketcher
01-21-2010, 05:18 PM
I thank you all for your patience....

Zathros.... wow.... that's amazing how well that worked! Right now, my wife and I have our hopes hanging on two houses. Hope one of them shakes loose.

I took a moment to look over the wing design last night. And I keep getting the feeling that I should keep it simple.. So I went ahead and glued up a set of wings printed onto two sheets of cover cardstock. Each petal having both a backside and frontside glued together. I was worried about the narrow area at the base of the pivot point. And tho it was fragile, it did hold it's own weight. The guy lines will help too.

cdavenport
01-21-2010, 09:49 PM
I live near Athens, GA, a nice little slice of the world. There are lots of homes for sale here. Come on down and get some good life!

The bad weather passes us by. The winters are mild; there's only about one month of really hot weather...in the 90's. The rest of the time, it's a bit of paradise!

I have a complete home downstairs for you to use while you are looking!

SJPONeill
01-21-2010, 09:57 PM
CD!! Chaining a model developer in your basement does not equal a 'home downstairs'!!

Seriously now, that's a very generous offer...

Retired_for_now
01-22-2010, 03:56 PM
I've given up the vagabond life and gotten out of the housing market - but I can sympathise (trying buying/renting a new place every 2-3 years for a couple of decades - no wonder I have no hair). Just remember, unless you design and build it yourself - there is no perfect house. It's only after you move in and start making it a home that it moves toward perfection. So, don't get too attached to any specific house on the market but certainly find a few you really like (and can afford for the long term). Where ever you end up - your family will make it a home.

Yogi

outersketcher
04-09-2010, 12:24 PM
just signed escrow papers earlier this week for a little house a couple of cities away... It'll be nice to stop living out of boxes. Then I can get back to completing the Kolywopter. Anyway, since I can't physically work on the model, I've been working instead on getting the instructions completed on my computer. I think the next one I do will have simpler instructions.

cMags
04-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Hey David! Welcome back, and congrats on the house! Waiting patiently for updates. :D

APA-168
04-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Ditto on the above, congrats on the house, waiting (ok, in my case not so) patiently for more of this fantastic project. :)

B-Manic
04-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Good news - I'm glad to hear you finally have a place to hang your designing hat.

Retired_for_now
04-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Congratulations (almost) homeowner! Get 'er done, get settled in, and get goin' again.

Yogi

Charlewood
04-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Great to Hear, just fantastic.

Just take time to set yourself up and get going in the right frame of mind.

I look forward to the updates.

outersketcher
04-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks for you support! The neat thing is that I'll get to have my own little "project area" to work on paper designs. Can't wait.

Just....gotta....wade...through all that....paperwork...!

David

outersketcher
07-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Hah! We moved in last weekend... My favorite box to carry was the "paper models" box. Nice and light.

SJPONeill
07-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Hah! We moved in last weekend... My favorite box to carry was the "paper models" box. Nice and light.

Great news!! We've just been through that torturous process too and I was ever so happy to be able to uncover some models on Monday...!

Squirrel
07-13-2010, 03:58 PM
i just tuned into this thread. so, what is a "kolywopter"?

B-Manic
07-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Good news David. I hope you enjoy your new digs.

~ Douglas

outersketcher
07-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Well Squirrel... a "Kolywopter" is a.. well... er, it's a.. it's an airplane/glider. The design inspiration hails somewhere from between "Jules Verne" and "MadMax".

Used for observation, crop-dusting, and light cargo transport. Much like the old Piper clubs.

I had to take a sabatical from the project until I'd finished getting my little family moved into a home. Much better than an apartment by a long shot. The kids are free-range children now.

Now working on the tail assembly and the wings. I'm gonna toss out the whole movable flap setup in favor of COMPLETING the model. I'm anxious to move onto to the next project.

Retired_for_now
07-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Congrats on the new digs! Looking forward to more on this thread ...

Yogi

Wyvern
07-23-2010, 07:31 AM
Hey 'Sketcher, good to see you back!

Wyvern

akremedy
07-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Next-generation Kolywopters?

http://www.tuvie.com/search/single+seat+heli

Paperbeam
07-28-2010, 01:40 PM
This website is great - thanks akremedy.

The resemblance is way too much of a coincidence don't you think?

Terry

akremedy
07-28-2010, 03:04 PM
This website is great - thanks akremedy.

The resemblance is way too much of a coincidence don't you think?

Terry

Yes, it's uncanny...

I keep thinking the "SNOC" personal helo looks like David's "Lantern Vehicle" with a rotor attached - something about the stance I think.

Adam

outersketcher
09-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Next-generation Kolywopters?

single seat heli | Tuvie – Industrial Design and Future Technology (http://www.tuvie.com/search/single+seat+heli)

Heeeeey Now! they must've been been to this forum! That is creepily uncanny.

Is creepily a word? dunno, it fits tho.

Besides, there's a serious lack of rivets. And I've got em licked rivet-wise. : )

Paperbeam
09-08-2010, 09:41 PM
For some reason, a few designers have been pulling a can shaped cabin design out of the creative ether for the past couple of years. Here's a concept car that has a slight resemblance as well:

Ozone Concept Car | BallerRide.com (http://www.ballerride.com/tag/ozone-concept-car/)

Terry

outersketcher
09-14-2010, 01:30 PM
No pictures right now, since all of my work is on the computer getting the instructions finished.

I sent all of the parts sheets I have to B-Maniac. But I'm still working on completing the instructions. So the poor fellow is on his own until I can get some updated instructions out to him later this week.

The doors have warped badly since they were first constructed. Moisture? Heat? Maybe.
Anyway, I'm going to try rebuilding a new set... only this time I'll use a thicker mil acetate. If this works, I'll make the suggestion official in the instructions.

I know you've all been waiting for.... ever... for me to complete this project. I thank you for your patience.

Just let me whine a little bit in saying that I have been a bit distracted with buying a new house, discovering we're gonna have a new baby, then finding out it was gonna die from some horrible genetic disease, then finding out that "oh, never mind it was just a mixture of clerical errors and miss-communications on the hospitals part.. Ha Ha"... and so on.

It's been exciting, yes, but now I'm looking forward to finishing the project and releasing it before the baby (who is gonna be just fine thankyouverymuch) is born.

I've got till the end of October to beat the baby... : )

David

akremedy
09-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Just let me whine a little bit in saying that I have been a bit distracted with buying a new house, discovering we're gonna have a new baby, then finding out it was gonna die from some horrible genetic disease, then finding out that "oh, never mind it was just a mixture of clerical errors and miss-communications on the hospitals part.. Ha Ha"... and so on.

It's been exciting, yes, but now I'm looking forward to finishing the project and releasing it before the baby (who is gonna be just fine thankyouverymuch) is born.

I've got till the end of October to beat the baby... : )

David
Wow - to some individuals, a situation like this might spell "small financial windfall for emotional repercussions and unforeseen hardship due to prenatal stress". I appreciate that honest mistakes are made from time to time, but it seems that the institutions in health care are riddled with them at all levels and magnitudes - and I'm extending the scope to include medical insurance, elder care, pharma, and so on. Very saddening the overall plight, but sure happy to hear of the positive outcome in your situation.

Looking forward to the completion of the Kolywopter - been following it a long time with great interest!

outersketcher
09-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Quick update, I spent the weekend building more instruction illustrations. Will be sending them off to B-Maniac as soon as I've got the instruction sheets updated. That should help some. Later this week, I'll be able to post some more pictures, specifically, of the wings and their control cables, the gas tank installed. And finally, some build pictures of the tail assembly.

My goal is to be able to send a finished kit to B-Maniac (complete with numbered instructions) at the end of this week for his inspection and comments.

I'll wait till he's finished with his build report to release the model.

Again, thank you all for your patience.

B-Manic
09-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Good to hear David. I started on the wheels last night. One hub and half of one tire built with no problems encountered.

~ Douglas :)

didier69
09-21-2010, 01:10 AM
Can we have some photos of the build ;) ?

outersketcher
10-01-2010, 06:47 PM

Yeah, this thread has become barren of images of late hasn't it.

For now, it's all about the instructions... building the individual illustrations and numbering them and then cross-referencing them to the parts sheets. Then sending off what I can to poor B-maniac who's patiently doing the beta build for me.

Here are a couple of the instruction sheets. I've broken the assembly down into a step-by-step process to help even the newbie-est of newbies to be able to do the build... well... hopefully.

didier69
10-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Thanks, there is a lot of detail apparently. Not a model for beginner :).

B-Manic
10-02-2010, 08:30 AM

You can see the cabin Beta build here . . . http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/alternate-dimensions/5073-kolywopter-beta-cabin-3.html

and

The continuing Beta build is here . . . http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/alternate-dimensions/10248-kolywopter-beta-part-2-a.html

cheers
Douglas

didier69
10-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the informations B-Manic.

akremedy
10-05-2010, 01:17 AM
Yeah, this thread has become barren of images of late hasn't it.

For now, it's all about the instructions... building the individual illustrations and numbering them and then cross-referencing them to the parts sheets. Then sending off what I can to poor B-maniac who's patiently doing the beta build for me.

Here are a couple of the instruction sheets. I've broken the assembly down into a step-by-step process to help even the newbie-est of newbies to be able to do the build... well... hopefully.

The effort you continue to pour into this project is amazing. I was just thinking this evening about an old friend from years ago who was a master model railroader - scratch built the most intricate brass locomotives and such. It occurred to me - how cool would it be to put the Kolywopter into the hands of someone with the know-how to fabricate it out of the materials that it might "really" be made from? I wonder - what would this beast be made of if it were a 1:1 real-life vehicle?? It's fun to let the mind wander from time to time...

Ron Caudillo
10-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Outersketcher,
The assembly instructions are clear and a work of art to themselves!

Even though, this is not a beginner's model, the ease of understanding the assembly process will take the novice builder to the advanced level quite easily!

The theads of the beta builds will be equally useful; the builds are beautiful, wonderful skill exhibited there.

I have long admired your work and look forward to seeing this project released! I also know what it takes to produces the fine detailed assembly drawings you have provided. Thanks for the perserverence!

cdavenport
10-13-2010, 09:20 AM
IMHO, you might consider offering the kit for sale through ECardmodels. I know you intended this to be a freebie, but after all that loving attention and work, you deserve some level of compensation.

It would make your wife happy, too.

B-Manic
10-13-2010, 05:29 PM
IMHO, you might consider offering the kit for sale through ECardmodels. I know you intended this to be a freebie, but after all that loving attention and work, you deserve some level of compensation.

I completely agree. This model design is as good as any high end commercial model I have built and the instructions are better than most of those. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect some compensation for your creativity, time and effort.

outersketcher
10-15-2010, 10:41 AM

Thank you. I consider it a compliment that some would consider purchasing this design!

However, the Kolywopter is a gesture of gratitude on my part to the modeling community. A thank you for the wonderful models, the freely given knowledge and advice, and for the kind generosity from a world-wide community of people I will most likely never get to meet face to face.

Therefore, it must be available for free. I have several other models that I'm itching to get to. And I probably will sell them. But I've had to do all of my learning and mistake-making on the Kolywopter first.

Besides, my wife says it keeps my out from underfoot.

ps. anyone know how to add words to the spell check? The computer can't believe that I'd choose to consistently use such a silly word as Kolywopter.:rolleyes:

outersketcher
10-20-2010, 01:36 AM
Here are pictures of the wing cable runner and the gas tank assemblies. The wing cable runner presented a special problem. I needed something that would gather all of the wing cables and hold them tight above the cabin roof. It was a part that required strength, yet I also wanted it to appear as delicate as I could make it. You can see that the unit is mounted off-center so as to align it with the cable winch on the frame below. I soaked the "needle" part with a drop of super glue for added strength to keep the tension of the thread from pulling through the laminated paper.

A curved piece of wire would also serve very well there I imagine.

Gas tank has cut out recesses in it's body to allow it to nestle onto the tail boom frame. I placed a point of exit area on the lower right of the tank so that the modeler can run a piece of wire or rolled paper to simulate a rubber gas line from engine to tank.

B-Maniac, I've got more updates coming to you within the next few days.

You can see the badly warped, left-side door. I will replace it... but for now, I'm just ignoring it.

rmks2000
10-20-2010, 04:33 PM
This is really coming to life! Nice build.

outersketcher
03-11-2011, 05:03 PM
I've redesigned the parts sheet for the tail section. I'll post build pics of the build and install this coming monday.

If all goes well, I'll send off everything to my ever-so-patient beta builder.

edit:.. oh yeah, forgot to mention that the rudder and flaps are movable now. I'm using paper q-tips as the hinge basis.

Leif Ohlsson
03-12-2011, 12:39 AM
There's nothing like an old thread coming to life again. Welcome back, David. I hope life has been reasonably good to you since last time around. - L.

Dreadnought
03-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Ever thought to give the door more structural density via design.
Dividing the door's ring in two.

Made a little mokup. Maybe you like it.
The truncated cone surface could be changed in direction/ position i.e. inner/ outer ring inwards/ outwards ...

Regards, Mike

outersketcher
03-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Can you please elaborate dreadnaught? From what I can see in the image, it looks like the ring of the door structure could be like maybe a simplified bicycle rim? (If a bicycle rim had the cross-section of a triangle..) Or do I have that wrong.

Dreadnought
03-15-2011, 06:40 AM
To give you a better view of some possible ideas, I made up a little animated gif ...

I virtually set your 'wopters' cabins one in another to display the diversity and cut out a small part do show the profiles;)

Regards,
Mike

cdavenport
03-16-2011, 05:12 AM
That's damned clever!

billy.leliveld
09-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Any news on this one?

B-Manic
09-20-2011, 06:47 PM
I have not heard from David in some time. His Blog has not been updated since June.

~ Douglas

dnp
10-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Wow...after reading this thread from tip-to-tail it's a great dissemination of the build. As with most original projects the illustrated instructions can be the most difficult and time consuming part (and sometimes (unfortunately) the least appreciated by the end user). Looking forward for the final outcome. Thanks to Outersketcher for the amount of hard work and dedication to the project.

outersketcher
01-18-2012, 04:12 PM
yah... I'm ashamed really.... should've completed two years ago. I keep getting distracted.. Oh look! something shiny!

Anyway, recently, I took a backwards swan dive off of a ladder onto hard concrete... fractured my right scapula. Am healing, can't draw, can't use a can opener, and my sweet wife has to tie my shoes for me everyday. Luckily, I can still work since I spend much of my time on the graphic design computer.

The doc says I'll be good as ever by end of march.

But that's just an excuse really.

I got hung up on the wing design... blown up to 1/19th scale suddenly made it impossible to be able to simply use the curve of the wing structure itself to hold itself up. So I needed to find a way to give the wings strength without adding too much complication to the design.

Question:

I have the completed parts sheets and instructions for _most_ of the model. (except for the wings..)

Maybe it would be better to release what I have in downloadable sections?

Or would you all prefer I wait till I've got the entire thing completed before releasing the model?

dnp
01-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Maybe you can find someone who can start a beta build concurrent with the design's completion within this thread?

Good to see you back at it...sorry to hear of the fall.

yah... I'm ashamed really.... should've completed two years ago. I keep getting distracted.. Oh look! something shiny!

Anyway, recently, I took a backwards swan dive off of a ladder onto hard concrete... fractured my right scapula. Am healing, can't draw, can't use a can opener, and my sweet wife has to tie my shoes for me everyday. Luckily, I can still work since I spend much of my time on the graphic design computer.

The doc says I'll be good as ever by end of march.

But that's just an excuse really.

I got hung up on the wing design... blown up to 1/19th scale suddenly made it impossible to be able to simply use the curve of the wing structure itself to hold itself up. So I needed to find a way to give the wings strength without adding too much complication to the design.

Question:

I have the completed parts sheets and instructions for _most_ of the model. (except for the wings..)

Maybe it would be better to release what I have in downloadable sections?

Or would you all prefer I wait till I've got the entire thing completed before releasing the model?

B-Manic
01-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Good to hear from you. I'm sorry for your misfortune but am glad you have returned to this great project.

IMO - start releasing it while you work out the mechanics of the wings.

I would have to start over myself (parts in storage have been damaged:mad:) but this model is worth it

~ Cheers
Douglas

SJPONeill
01-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Will the rigging running from beneath the engine not provide enough support for the wing shape/ If not perhaps, the wings could be based on light wite bent to shape with tissue thin paper overlaid?

cdavenport
01-19-2012, 10:37 AM
To answer your question Outersketcher, release what you have. Perhaps a builder will provide some inspiration on how to support the wings.

whulsey
01-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Oh that sounds really painful. Glad to hear you're recovering nicely. Look forward to whatever you decide to do with the model. Have just really enjoyed watching the whole process.

outersketcher
01-20-2012, 02:09 PM
'kay... I'll set up the files this weekend and will start making them available on monday.

And YES, I'd love to hear responses from builders... I'm sure that many of you will look at some of my design solutions and see something to the effect

"pppffffft... well, that would work better if was like this instead."

Hey, I wanna know about it and if I agree, will cheerfully make the changes to the design.

As to using the rigging.... good idea, have been considering all options. I worked on the wings some last night and I think I may have a satisfactory solution. I really want to stay with standard paper if possible. I'll see how it goes with the test build...

David

outersketcher
01-25-2012, 12:22 PM
started into the files over the weekend and really got into it... kept finding things that needed to be updated. Added new parts, created some new instruction panels, etc.

As it is now, I replaced the tail drag hook assembly with a pivoting tail wheel. Built the thing last night. The wheel is a simple affair of laminated sections with the sharp edges rounded into a nice, rubber tire shape. You can see the little curved rear fender for the wheel there...

Not bad for a one-handed gimp.

I'm not posting the downloadable sections yet simply because I'm currently adding new parts and instruction panels. This of course, messes up the numbering and such.

EDIT: the forum won't allow me to upload my build photos to this thread anymore. Instead, I get a window demanding a url link... anyone know why?

David

SCEtoAUX
01-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Here is my attempt to upload a picture from my computer:
Which seems to have worked. Maybe a hiccup during your attempt.

outersketcher
01-25-2012, 03:30 PM
still no dice... I tried logging on from different browsers, (Safari and Firefox), restarting my computer, indian rain dancing..etc. no change. All I get is a little window asking for a url instead of allowing me to upload from my computer like I always used to do.

Maybe this thread has been designated as too old?

dangitall....I have photos I wanted to upload.

Gil
01-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Hi David,

Sorry to hear about your ladder experience. Maybe a model of guy on a ladder with a safety belt and air bags would be appropriate. As a matter of fact this would make a great line of foldout get well cards..., Hmmm.

Waiting for a Kolywopter, +Gil

SJPONeill
01-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Trying using the attachment button (paperclip) in the advanced editor (go advanced) and not the image button - that will allow you to add an attached image to a post. :)

outersketcher
01-25-2012, 06:39 PM
that did the ticket SJPONeill.. thank you.

Now I can continue inflicting my build photos on you all.

here you can see the tail wheel assembly.

Yes, it's chunky, and would be needlessly heavy in reality. But that's never been the goal with this design. The important thing is that it looks funky cool. http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

outersketcher
02-06-2012, 05:25 PM
The final version of the tail section has been assembled and installed.

I struggled for a long time between design and structural reality. I wanted an organic, rounded tail section, with fully functional rudder and wing flaps, yet be simple enough for anyone to build with easily accessible tools...and patience. ; )

A major obstacle was the curved shape of the tail wings themselves. The Kolywopter tail assembly is loosely based on the fabric covered spar designs found in the aircraft of WWI and in the '30s. This produced some obstacles in designing a tail assembly that had functional flaps and rudder.

I couldn't go with the tried and true method of wrapping a wing over a single, thick spar. A good method that would then create the teardrop lifting shape as used in most WWII and on aircraft models. The rounded edges of the tail assembly made that method impossible. The best design I could come up with requires the builder to wrap the individually separated wings, tail, flaps and rudder from their respective "backsides" or flat pivot ends. Then join the pieces together with hinges to allow movement.

In pics 1 thru 6, you can see the basic idea behind the structure. Each final part assembly consists of an outer skin wrapped over a structure that performs the duo purpose of providing form and as a basis to support the hinges. The hinges themselves are simply small laminated parts glued to small sections of paper q-tips. Each of the skeletal forms has clearly marked areas along their length indicating the needed lengths of paper q-tip that have to be glued to the edges. The q-tip hinge sections are then cut to fit precisely within the gap spaces left over.

It's important to note that the hinges MUST FIT IN FIRMLY! we need the tension to maintain the completed flaps and rudder in place when moved. A loose-fitting hinge will just allow the flap to flop back down like a limp wrist.

Do not glue the hinges in place. Instead, press them into their individual places and wrap and glue the skin around the structure and ribs. Glue the ends together and trim off any excess paper along the edges.

Pics 7 & 8
Pinching the ends of the paper together creates a problem tho. Forcing the rounded edges to bow outward from the straight edge. I don't know what law of physics causes this, but I call it the "apple fritter effect". I overcame that by filing off the protuding areas on each end with a nail file. Then applied some super glue for strength and structural integrity and cleaned up with the nail file once more.

Pic 9

here you can see the rudder and flaps glued to the tail and rear wings. You must be careful here when gluing the ends of the hinges to the tail and rear wing assembly. I used super glue the first time three times I built this assembly.. only to discover each time that the super glue had wicked up the cardstock hinges and effectively locked the hinges in place. The fourth time around, I used good-ol fashioned white glue... took longer to set, but the results where fantastic.

Pics 10 thru 15

Tail assembly installed you can see that I can freely move the rudder and rear flaps (or whatever they're actually called) at will. I deliberately chose to leave the hinges white. I like how it looks. I like the little gap of open space between hinges. I like how the severity of the angled tail boom ends in the rounded curves of the tail section. And finally, I like how structure of the ribs are showing through the paper skins. It looks like fabric. Talk about cool!

The tail wheel looks clunky and over built... I know... it's supposed to. It's part of the incongruity of the whole silly design. I like it.

Overall, I'm happy with how it all looks. Am focused solely on getting the wings mounted now.

Don't forget this is being done with one hand for the most part (broken right shoulderblade... I've got another 4 weeks that I have to wear that stupid sling). So, please forgive the rather sloppy finish on the work.

almost there.... almost done... sooo close.... http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

P.S. I'm working every day at lunch to finish the instructions. Once that's done, I'll start posting the model in sections.

David

willygoat
02-06-2012, 08:27 PM
That looks great David! The tail structure details matches the detail of the cabin very well.

cdavenport
02-07-2012, 12:13 AM
I have waited patiently for quite some time. I am really looking forward to building this whimsical creation!

Paperplanecrash
11-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Any updates on this?

billy.leliveld
11-28-2012, 02:19 PM
I had the same thought, how is the Colywopter these days?