PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with Pepakura

kjev
09-06-2008, 05:54 AM
Christ Gutzmer sent me here, and I want to thank everyone in advance. I've got a lot of experience building wargames terrain, and am a pretty fair hand with Illustrator and Photoshop, but I'm just now learning the basics of 3D modeling, and I've run into a challenge that has me stumped:

I have Pepakura Designer 3. I have a model in PDO format. I have a skin. I can look at it and see how it would fit on the model.

How do I apply the skin in Pepakura?

K'Jev
8)

Flarebaffled
09-06-2008, 07:10 AM
Assuming they haven't changed this from Pep 2....

Go to the 3DModelWindow tab ( just to the right of 'FILE' ... click it and choose 'Texture Configuration'

This should then open up a little window with the texture file currently applied showing. You can change the textures used in teh PDO here. Just browse to your new texture and select it. Job done :)

kjev
09-07-2008, 07:23 AM
Tanks Flarebaffled. It's actually the desert skin for your baneblade I was attempting to do this with.

Still working on extracting from Dawn of War. I think I want to try the Marauder Bomber.

Kjev
8)

cgutzmer
09-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Mayhap Flarebaffled will either let you sell it (profit for both) or upload it as another freebie to Zealot :)
Chris

Flarebaffled
09-08-2008, 01:41 AM
It'll have to be a free upload at Zealot. The GW copyright lawyers would be crawling all over us if we tried to retail something based on their IP without permission.

With permission would come licensing fees...and with fees come incresed costs.

As long as they do not instruct me to stop, I am OK to give the stuff away, just not to sell it.

cgutzmer
09-08-2008, 04:05 AM
Oh yeah - darn, forgot about that ;)
Chris

Flarebaffled
09-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Mind you ... the odd free download might help to attract visitors....and Warhammer stuff to a good standard with instructions etc. all neatly packaged might do that.

I have been thinking about doing scenery and buildings .... and it is hard to copyright a pill-box, entrenchments and bunkers or burnt out buildings!

cgutzmer
09-08-2008, 11:36 AM
I do plan on freebies too :) I just cant figure out how to incorporate them into the store.... Still working on that....

We could possibly use those pill boxes etc in a game release too if you dont mind ;)
Chris

kjev
09-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Terrain is my specialty! Sort of. I got into wargames terrain when I priced some commercial stuff and thought "Geez, I could do that." I've built wargames terrain from scratch for about ten years, and got into paper models when I started looking for a quick way to outfit an entire campaign.

Paper Terrain led to Paper Models, which led me here.

And willing to help.

K'Jev
8)

Owner, Master, and God-on-Earth of Dog Hair Terrain

The Orange
09-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Oh, do you think you can build space terrain? Whoops, or what about, space remnants? Like floating wrecks, and the surface could be like a space styled backdrop rectangle. That's be cool ::)

Hey, I'd like to see your terrain :)

cgutzmer
09-09-2008, 10:11 PM
I would like to see it as well. I am thinking for a ground phase of a new outer space conflict game ;)
Chris

kjev
09-10-2008, 05:26 AM
Heh heh heh. Yeah, I can do space terrain. I've done asteroids, and a station for BFG. PM me your e-mail and I'll send you some pics. Keep in mind none of it is paper.

K'Jev
8)

cgutzmer
09-10-2008, 06:56 AM
Well if we are gonna sell it then it needs to be paper ;) unless you can make some kind of downloadable plastic kit ;)
Chris

Flarebaffled
09-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Asteroids and static space stations and installations are easy enough to make for a space wargame. If the scale is large enough, then planets and moons can come into play too.

kjev
09-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Like I mentioned before, I'm fairly new at the paper end of things. Most of my work was scratch built traditional stuff, and yea verily, I was pretty good according to rumors. Then I moved.

But on space terrain:

A planet, moon or sun . . . .
A sphere with a texture!

A guy could even do rings fairly easily.

Asteroids might be a challenge.

I think Black Holes and wormholes would best be represented by flat templates (which to me seems pretty darn boring to do).

How about a nebula?

K'jev
8)