PDA

View Full Version : Beta APC Builder needed

Flarebaffled
09-24-2008, 01:51 PM
Just finishing off the instructions ... but I have a nice little 4-wheel APC that needs a beta build. There are some fiddly parts..and some optional bits on the suspension units... but it looks quite nice when it's done!

It's going to have a few variants built off it including a longer wheelbase halftrack and some weapon packs ...so if the base is sound, the rest can be turned out pretty quickly!

PaperSamurai
09-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Just finishing off the instructions ... but I have a nice little 4-wheel APC that needs a beta build. There are some fiddly parts..and some optional bits on the suspension units... but it looks quite nice when it's done!

It's going to have a few variants built off it including a longer wheelbase halftrack and some weapon packs ...so if the base is sound, the rest can be turned out pretty quickly!

May have the weekend to myself, also work is a tad bit slow, so anything that can keep me busy is welcome! (Also, I like fiddly parts and this would become my first vehicle build...)

Flarebaffled
09-25-2008, 06:35 AM

PaperSamurai
09-25-2008, 07:16 AM
Got it, and printed it also...
I see you created the PDF from Pepakura with Bitmap instead of Vector lines ;)

Vector might turn out more crisp picture :D

PaperSamurai
09-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Had me some minutes to spare, the main structure complete now!

Fits like a charm, but maybe the textures could be a bit sharper?
For fitting the substructure in part 1a/1b, maybe add a "square" to use as where to put the other parts?

Will fiddle more with it tomorrow, have a day off, maybe I'll find the time to finish it ;)

Flarebaffled
09-25-2008, 03:07 PM
I know what you mean about hte white square...but I am re-using some areas of hte texture..so that might not be entirely possible. Will try though.

Texture wise...not sure what you mean about the clarity. They look good to me on the test build I did. All the detail that should be there is there. How does it look when you zoom in on the PDF? Is it translating well from the PDF to print, or does the PDF look poor?

Most of this is easy enough to fix, but I might have a more serious problem if I have to re-map the model onto more textures to increase clarity. Also...there is a limit on the resolution that Pepakura supports.

PaperSamurai
09-25-2008, 04:10 PM
I know what you mean about hte white square...but I am re-using some areas of hte texture..so that might not be entirely possible. Will try though.

Nah, white would be a bit too harsh at once, maybe some darker coloured (or black) marks at the intended place of the corners?

Texture wise...not sure what you mean about the clarity. They look good to me on the test build I did. All the detail that should be there is there. How does it look when you zoom in on the PDF? Is it translating well from the PDF to print, or does the PDF look poor?

The PDF looks like there is a bit of a blur about the textures. It's clear, just not... really crisp :-\ I print in a Laser printer at work at high settings and that machine usually does a really great job for me 8)

You might try exporting with Vector settings instead of Bitmap, or the other way round from Pepakura Designer. That has worked for me once before!

Most of this is easy enough to fix, but I might have a more serious problem if I have to re-map the model onto more textures to increase clarity. Also...there is a limit on the resolution that Pepakura supports.

I don't think a remap is in order, just adjusting the texture a bit might work out just fine too!

On a further note, the parts 3 & 4 could do with some tabs. I am not too good at edge glueing yet, so I made custom tabs for those parts...

The Orange
09-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Is it too late to ask? I'd like to beta this! I know I never finished the MonoWheel, but I did finish everything but the gun barrel.

Flarebaffled
09-26-2008, 01:06 AM
Cheers Paperronin....that info really helps.

I will try and put some alignment details in on the texture...something subtle, but there to point out where the corners are. The side to side alignment is just 'get it in the middle'...but if you get the front too far back, the rear section won't fit..so that is a good idea.

Texture wise, I am turning the PDO directly into a PDF with PrimoPDF. I had a go at turning up the detail, but if I go much further, the file-size rockets. The vector/Bitmap thing doesn't come into it, as far as I can tell. Might have to live with that.

I have added some tabs to 3 and 4... I reckon it will help the parts locate in place as well as easing the glueing. I also added them to the upper hull and the rear deck pieces. If you found parts 3 and 4 tricky, then you would probably have found tabs on those helpful too!

PaperSamurai
09-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Acursed fiddly bits >:( Suspension part is driving me nuts

Apart from those, build is progressing slow but steady. The upper hull structure could, once again, do with some tabs. ;)

Wheels also not a problem so far.

Part 12 got cut up, I usually find it better to have cyclindrical parts in three... also, I removed half of the glue tabs there to make an easier fit.

cgutzmer
09-27-2008, 03:58 PM
super info :) thanks for all the input!

PaperSamurai
09-27-2008, 04:07 PM
No prob, that's why I do beta builds right? ;)

I'm usually very keen on what I do and want it done to perfection, so if I see something I think should be changed to make the model better, it's only logical to let the designer know right ?

The Orange
09-27-2008, 05:09 PM
I just printed mine out, I'll get started right away :D

Flarebaffled
09-29-2008, 02:36 AM
Soaring ...your version already has hte extra tabs Paperronin suggested. The original desing had the upper and lower parts edge-joined to the central hull piece. Now there are tabs to help locate all the main hull parts to the middle bit. Gives more glue surface and helps to locate.

With small circles, I always seperate them...but sometimes it is easier to build with the circle attached. It is personal preference. With it attached, you can always cut it off if you find it easier that way.

As Chris said... it is REALLY valuable to get feedback like this. As a builder, I may not agree or be able to easily change some of the points raised, but there is a difference between making something for free, and asking money for something.

If it's free....well...let them add their own damn tabs ;D

If they are paying...make it as simple to build as is physically possible, because they expect to get a decent kit for their cash! I want a good build to be the result every time, and that way they might come back and buy some more of my stuff.

PaperSamurai
09-29-2008, 02:41 AM
Indeed!

About the build... I'll try to make all of the suspension parts, but those are fiddly indeed.
Wheels are OK, as is the Upper Hull (made tabs as said before ;) )

Will try to finish up tonight, then I can make some pics too :D

PaperSamurai
10-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Had to reprint the suspension part, screwed up on that one, other than that, the Lower Hull, Upper Hull and Wheel came together just fine!

Guess I am not yet *that* much into the fiddly bits ;D

PaperSamurai
10-02-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm leaving the APC "as is" the suspension go to me :(

I hope that the input I gave makes you model one of the winners in the store! When I do feel up to some more cursing, I'll try once more and after finishing I will upload pics....

cgutzmer
10-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Well actually this kind of input helps determine problem spots :)

PaperSamurai
10-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Well actually this kind of input helps determine problem spots :)

In that case, glad to be of help ;D
The model is great, fits ok, but those suspension units are too much (for me) at the moment. Reprinted them 3 times, all I got were the tubes...

Flarebaffled
10-03-2008, 03:43 AM
Oops..I had no problems buildng them..and I added the optional twist of paper to form the spring too. :-[

I plan on some more variants of hte truck, so I might make an optional 'very easy' suspension tube. You could leave it out altogether and just have the square section. This is plenty strong enough to hold on it's own

PaperSamurai
10-03-2008, 03:48 AM
It's not your design mate, it's my building skills combined with severe headache.
I think that with the added tabs and nothing's microbuildingskills it would work ;)

Be sure I will try the shocks later ;)

cgutzmer
10-03-2008, 04:06 AM
OK, thats cool as long as its an optional part :)