PDA

View Full Version : free unfolder?

mousemuffins
03-26-2009, 02:57 AM
Is there a a free unfolding program available for really simple shapes? I've done a couple of quicky drawings with sketchup, (an adventure in and of itself...look mum! I'm learnding...) and i want to have a go at unfolding. dosn't need tabs or suchlike, I just want to turn them into something printer friendly. Failing free, what's cheap?

PaperMakeiT
03-26-2009, 03:19 AM
For Sketchup has been created a specific free tool:

http://sketchuptips.blogspot.com/2007/08/plugin-unfoldrb.html

mousemuffins
03-26-2009, 03:53 AM
groovy. how do I make it unfold from/in the directions I want it to? I'm making a terrible mess. :P

PaperMakeiT
03-26-2009, 04:33 AM
Unfortunately I cannot help you furthermore because I use Blender and Pepakura (even if I am planning to move to use only Blender fer everything).

cgutzmer
03-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Blender is free and it unfolds - look at the thread Claudio is helping me with right here in this section :)
Chris

JT Fox
03-26-2009, 10:59 AM
I've found blender hard going so I'd go down the pep route. But it's a personnel choice. They are free so like me, try 'em all.

Cheers JTF

cgutzmer
03-26-2009, 11:51 AM
After claudio is done teaching me, I am gonna make a basic tutorial for getting started.... VERY basic ;)

PaperMakeiT
03-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Yes, there are several issues here.

Pepakura is dedicated to paper modellers, but it is commercial and you have to manage two applications at least: 3d modeller and unfolder.

Blender is freeware but it has a slower learning curve at first, a not so user friendly interface, a no flaps internal unfolder. Nevertheless after learning the basics you will ask soon for more professional tools that Blender includes.

A basic tutorial for paper fun in Blender is a great opportunity and I hope it to be integrated with vector mode for the best quality.

mousemuffins
03-27-2009, 02:23 AM
Thanks all! Still having a bit of trouble with the unfolding thingy, but I've managed to get one piece flat. Now how do I make it all printy, rather than floating about in cyberspace?