PDA

View Full Version : CSS Hunley released

nothing
05-23-2009, 04:06 PM
the submarine that is credited with the first succesfull sinking of an enemy ship by a submarine.there are a WIDE variences in what people think it looks like. so i am making the 3d model off of images made by scanning the wreck with a laser and gleaning the more probable details from various sources.

nothing
05-24-2009, 02:42 PM
small bit of work done this weekend. ;)

Maciek.kat
05-24-2009, 03:40 PM
why did the prow shaped in letter S? In all the drawings from that era it is simple. as far as I know that this shape was created by the friction of the sand at the bottom of the sea

nothing
05-24-2009, 05:17 PM
actually there are about 10 different drawings. of the latest ones available that were were made from more factual accounts and information all tend to agree with this shape and configuration.

nothing
05-24-2009, 05:27 PM
it should also be noted that it is beleived the the Hunly sank stern first based on the evidence at the crash site.

kooklik
05-25-2009, 02:43 AM
Wow another historical submarine. Wait to see more.

Kazziga
05-25-2009, 06:56 AM
Kat is right about the shape of the bow. It was created by the sand and ocean currents.
Nothing, I am sure you've seen this site: http://home.att.net/~JVNautilus/Hunley/reconstruction.html It's probably the best Hunley reconstruction 3-view available.

nothing
05-25-2009, 08:13 AM
no where in that article does he state that. in fact his drawings and model have the "s"shape as well. he also is going on speculation and assumption on specific details. in fact my model is very close to his.(not as detailed)

thanks for the link. the line drawings will help me refine the textures.

nothing
05-25-2009, 09:24 AM
much better looking textures i think.

nothing
05-25-2009, 09:28 AM
also i would like to note when i overlapped the above line drawing over my 3d model it was an almost exact match! ;D

Krzychu74
05-25-2009, 10:55 AM
Hello!
nothing: good work! :)

Best regards.
Krzychu74

Kazziga
05-25-2009, 04:23 PM
Nothing, I know that his website doesn't say that the bow's shape was a result of sand and ocean currents activity. This information was posted on yahoogroups CSS H.L. Hunley. If I remember it right, it was printed in one of Charleston's newspapers.
M. Crisafulli's plan shows the original shape of the hull as a dotted line. You can always add it as an option in your model (like in Renova's one).
I like your model and I hope you are going to design more Confederate warships.

APA-168
05-25-2009, 04:53 PM
I concur with the others, the shape of the bow was distorted. It originally had the vertical profile. It is an EXTREMELY common error and we just want to help you avoid it. Very nice work, you sure knock them out quick! I trust this one will be in the shop next time I check?? :P 8) Love the weathering, by the way, not something you see very often. Well done weathering really adds A LOT of life to a model, particularly one like the Hunley. Keep up the good work! :)

zot
05-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Nothing.
I tend to agree with your profile of the bow. I just finished watching National Geographic's "Raising the Hunley". At the end of the program, they showed some very good shots of the bow. It would seam to me that if erosion were the cause of the bow's current shape, there would be some sort of seam or gapping visible. The thickness of the bow looks no different within the curvature than it does at any other point. I would think that the bow, if eroded away, would at least be thicker towards the curve based on the taper given from the top profile. I've included a photo from www.hunley.org showing one of the views that I saw. I am by no means an expert or trying to sound like one. I'm just giving my opinion based on what I can see.

cgutzmer
05-27-2009, 03:23 PM
cool looking sub :)
Chris

Kazziga
05-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Zot, there is no seam or gap visible, because the bow and the stern were made of cast iron and were not hollow inside.

JT Fox
05-28-2009, 04:00 AM
Whatever the shape, you have produced another nice model.

Cheers JTF

nothing
05-28-2009, 08:21 AM
i appreciate all the input and comments guys. im going with this shape as i still dont think that any of the theories on the bow are confirmed as fact. i beleive if it were erosion, it would be more even along the whole edge and not focused on the mid point. as is evident with the erosion on the dive planes, the basic shape is still there despite the erosion. there are also a wide varience on theories for the spar torpedo. i have chosen one that more than 1 place agrees on and i like.

APA-168
05-28-2009, 08:28 AM
Well if you like it, than that's the most important thing. Especially with this era, as records are so few and far between that we can never be too sure of anything. Looks like a fantastic model. 8) :)

fitter
05-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Hunley has been designed and issued by Polish publisher from Radom "Renova-Model" too.
Cover (http://www.renova-model.com.pl/galeria.php?d=.&n=okladka_hunley_duza.jpg)
Galery (http://www.renova-model.com.pl/galeria.php?m=m_H.L.%20Hunley)
But never is too much ... ;)

cgutzmer
05-28-2009, 03:40 PM
looks awesome! I forget if you said but will it be same scale as the gator?
Chris

nothing
06-01-2009, 08:20 PM
yes 1/48. all the smaller subs will be the same.

fitter that is an awsome looking model! really puts mine to shame. :-[

cgutzmer
06-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Yours is cheaper AND instantly available ;) plus its awesome :)
Chris