PDA

View Full Version : base game no included models or some included?

cgutzmer
01-11-2010, 09:12 PM
idea 1 - customers get the base rules for free and no models are included. Customers need to build their model sets completely from purchased models.

idea 2 - customers pay a fee like 19.99 to get the game with a base set of models that can be used to play a BASIC game with no frills. Customer would flesh out their sets with paid models.

I think to really get people to play we should offer both flavors. I would make 100% of profits off idea 2 as I would purchase the base models from designers so that they would get some profit up front but they would still be able to make additional models beyond base. This is to simplify book keeping and make marketing easier from my standpoint.

Thoughts?

ThunderChild
01-12-2010, 05:57 AM
This is your brainchild Chris, your decision. Both ideas have merits.
How bout idea 1 but with only one game stage model (for each race/faction)?

cgutzmer
01-12-2010, 06:57 AM
I plan on the base models going across all races/factions - think legacy type ships that cannot be modified cause they are too old ;)
Chris

Blackronin
01-12-2010, 04:13 PM
A minimun included, I think. It is very frustrating to have a game and no game pieces.

cgutzmer
01-13-2010, 02:36 PM
yes indeedy :)

ThunderChild
01-13-2010, 11:09 PM
LOL! Just remember, you don't want to give away too much if idea 1. :D :D

bluehamster
01-15-2010, 12:43 PM
why choose?
1. free rules and docs, maybe a "short phase game" kit
2. a priced, packaged starter kit
3. priced models

I also had an idea about having guest designers put together fleet kits with their signature style to them. The fleets would be consistent and cross-compatible with existing factions in the game, but have their own unique visual appeal and maybe special abilities if collected as a set.

cgutzmer
01-15-2010, 12:58 PM
let me address these for ya :)

1 - decided, free base rules to explain game
2 - decided (mostly) I will package a core set that will allow two races to play the game. I will buy the rights from designers for this core set so I maintain rights to distribute as I need (mostly for marketing and book keeping reasons) this will only have a set of models that allow for basic play
3 - there will be lots of expansions in the way of races and ships. Any designers/writers that make expansions will be able to sell them in my shop and they will get the same deal as anything else that gets sold in my shop (they get 80% of sale)

we will have a standard game of three phases - short games will be just one phase :)

hope that helps!