PDA

View Full Version : Scratch building

Phil
11-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Would it be possible to create a forum for scratch building?
I have figured out that I am building from scratch basically because I am not a designer, I have no formal education, and many parts need trimming...so what else would you call it?

I feel silly each time I announce a creation in the "Kit Announcements" forum because they're not really kits
(my website amended-please view (http://sitekreator.com/thewoodengraver61/freepapertoys.html) if interested), they are templates I use to scratch build (but am OH so happy to share with you!:)).

Suggestions? Ideas? Thoughts? Comments?

Ron40
11-14-2010, 10:54 AM
I think it would be a great category in the forum. Many
do not have the computer expertise to do design work
but are well gifted in building their own models. Of course
this should be limited to paper model creations...Ron

Then again maybe it is already covered in some of the
existing categories. It would be up to the administrators
to determine that...Ron

lepercan
11-14-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm in. I do a lot of scratching. Not just fleas and chiggers neither.

Rhaven Blaack
11-14-2010, 02:02 PM
I think that it is a great idea, and it could be sub-categories into smaller categories like SCI-FI, Armour, or what ever else.

I too have made a few scratch builds of various models, but I would list them in the categories that the actual model fit in (like the ones mentioned above.). Here is a link to one of my scratch builds.

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/alternate-dimensions/6104-scratch-built-thunder-fighter.html

ENJOY!!!

B-Manic
11-14-2010, 02:06 PM
A think a scratch builders area is a great idea.

Fishcarver
11-14-2010, 06:39 PM
I agree! Great idea!!
Jim

rickstef
11-14-2010, 06:41 PM
ok, where should i put this section?

peter taft
11-14-2010, 06:49 PM
I'm in. I do a lot of scratching. Not just fleas and chiggers neither.

ROFLMAO :D Great idea to have this separated and then divided like has been suggested in to various categories.

airdave
11-14-2010, 07:47 PM
I have figured out that I am building from scratch basically because I am not a designer, I have no formal education, and many parts need trimming...so what else would you call it?I'd call it "scratch designing"...or, since many designs start from scratch anyway, why not just call it "designing"?

I'm not sure why you think you are special and have to separated from the rest of the bunch? (snicker-smile)
What you described is exactly how I design models...I design a part on paper or on the computer in 2D, print it, cut it out, and attempt to glue it to another part.
Usually I am trimming or adding bits of paper and retracing the part to eventually get to the part I need and then I modify my original drawing (which by this time is on my PC).
...and everyone keeps calling me a designer.

So...sorry...I don't get the distinction or difference?

Phil
11-14-2010, 07:59 PM
since many designs start from scratch anyway, why not just call it "designing"?

Because many of my parts do not fit and need to be trimmed, and I am too lazy to modify the part digitally. Besides, I don't want to be referred to as a designer. This makes sense to me, but, I'm weird...

B-Manic
11-14-2010, 08:29 PM
I'd call it "scratch designing"...or, since many designs start from scratch anyway, why not just call it "designing"?

I'm not sure why you think you are special and have to separated from the rest of the bunch? (snicker-smile)
What you described is exactly how I design models...I design a part on paper or on the computer in 2D, print it, cut it out, and attempt to glue it to another part.
Usually I am trimming or adding bits of paper and retracing the part to eventually get to the part I need and then I modify my original drawing (which by this time is on my PC).
...and everyone keeps calling me a designer.

So...sorry...I don't get the distinction or difference?

I scratch build models on a regular basis. I design the parts on my computer but, generally, no one will see the design but me. I am sure there others here that do the same.

Phil has clearly stated his methodology and intent. His generosity in sharing his scratch build designs should therefore not be confused with designing in the true sense of the word. Unless of course one is just being argumentative.

http://mises.org/images4/TwoCents.gif

Phil
11-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Thank you Douglas! :)

Ron40
11-14-2010, 08:43 PM
I think it should be named scratch builds and then sub
categories within the main category. Just my $00.02 Ron

airdave
11-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Unless of course one is just being argumentative.

wow...argumentative...wow...

I guess the snicker and the smile were of no consequence.
I guess "Suggestions? Ideas? Thoughts? Comments?" or even a little fun wasn't welcome in this case.

My apologies for stepping in on this one.

Phil
11-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Dave, Dave, Dave. It's all in fun...right?

Phil
11-14-2010, 10:13 PM
ok, where should i put this section?

I concur with Ron40 and Rhaven Blaack, I suggest under the Card modeling section...

Werner Smuts
11-15-2010, 05:25 AM
Very good idea!

Fishcarver
11-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Rick et al:

Maybe, more to the point, we should call this category "Scratchbuilding and KitBashing". I seem to do a lot of the latter, especially since I build armour in 1:35.

Just a thought!
Jim

Phil
11-17-2010, 09:05 AM
I hereby withdraw my request.

airdave
11-17-2010, 09:25 AM
"Kit - bashing"?
Yeah...I think we should call it "thump Phil with a Cat" models!

Its a good thing I like you...we are still friends, aren't we Phil?

Phil
11-17-2010, 09:33 AM
You would know if we were not bro...

Ron40
11-17-2010, 10:06 AM
I hereby withdraw my request.

Phil,
I don't think you should withdraw your request. You have
a valid and needed category in the forum that would be a
popular area to view and gain insight to other modelers
techniques and abilities....Ron:)

Phil
11-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanx Ron, but it really does not matter, if you guys want it you will get it.
I'm just changing directions...again.

Rocky
11-25-2010, 11:57 PM
I've only been doing paper models since August of this year; so mebe it's not my place to say any thing. If my opinion is not welcome here I will understand, but please consider this; although kitbashing is a common plastic modeler's term it applies well here in my example: Ton Notebloom's Saturn V - with Greelt Peterusma's engines - U Don's factory LEM -and my scratch SLA and resized markings on paper corrugated with a Fiskars(TM) craft tool.
I am reluctant to post my pictures anyway because I am such a rank armature! ( look close ) ( you can laugh....I know it looks rough )
But I would I would much rather put them in a forum category that has a name that is not so intimidating like New Builds that sounds so......well .....formal.

Phil
11-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Okay, I withdraw my withdrawal...

How many must want this before it happens?

B-Manic
11-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Okay, I withdraw my withdrawal...

How many must want this before it happens?

Start a poll Phil :)

lancer525
11-27-2010, 07:06 AM
A dedicated forum for models built not from pre-printed or downloaded kits and called "scratchbuilding" is an excellent idea, in my opinion. Anyone who builds something that isn't already a downloaded or pre-printed kit is breaking new ground, so to speak.

If the model eventually becomes a published download or pre-printed kit, and someone else builds it, then it isn't a scratch-built, but if it is a new design, then it qualifies.

:)

peter taft
11-27-2010, 08:22 AM
A dedicated forum for models built not from pre-printed or downloaded kits and called "scratchbuilding" is an excellent idea, in my opinion. Anyone who builds something that isn't already a downloaded or pre-printed kit is breaking new ground, so to speak.

If the model eventually becomes a published download or pre-printed kit, and someone else builds it, then it isn't a scratch-built, but if it is a new design, then it qualifies.

:)

Totally agree with all this. Makes total sense ! Maybe a forum title of " From Scratch "

Norjax
11-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Hi, I'm new here and my primary interest is the scratch-built models. I too would like a way to easily determine if the model is kit-built or scratch-built.

Perhaps a compromise would be to have a custom status icon or flag, in order to segregate the scratch-built models; regardless of which forum they are in?

Regards,

Norjax

ronaldom
11-28-2010, 03:49 PM
Would it be possible to create a forum for scratch building?
I have figured out that I am building from scratch basically because I am not a designer, I have no formal education, and many parts need trimming...so what else would you call it?

I feel silly each time I announce a creation in the "Kit Announcements" forum because they're not really kits
(my website amended-please view (http://sitekreator.com/thewoodengraver61/freepapertoys.html) if interested), they are templates I use to scratch build (but am OH so happy to share with you!:)).

Suggestions? Ideas? Thoughts? Comments?

It's funny, well done Phil your creations are very interesting and funny

Rocky
11-29-2010, 01:31 AM
It should be noted that scratch building and built from scratch are two different terms. The former is making some parts or accessories not included or poorly executed in the kit, the later is what a lot of people assume the whole definition to be, but there is still a third way to scratch build; to combine two or more kits to create a model that never was rendered before; commonly known as bashing, it takes it's name from the term hacking in the era when computer hacking was a good thing. Both practices became popular in the late '60s~early'70s.
Don't get me wrong.....I'm not trying to start an argument on the definition!!! It's just that these practices have been in place for plastic for a long time. I think it might confuse some of our plastic modeling friends if we change it (they are our friends aren't they?) since that's where we get many of our newest members from.

What I just wrote sounds like I'm being Mr.Smarty Pants (even to me).
I'm just saying.......you know?.....It's O.K. to disagree;, paper is not plastic,we don't have to follow the same rules. I don't see a need to change but I do see a need broaden the meaning to many that are not aware that for many of us; it is our primary interest in modeling.
Thank you......don't hit me.

Phil
11-29-2010, 08:58 AM
don't hit me.

LOL! Nobody here is gonna hit you, especially me!...you can clearly see by my avatar that my hands are secured behind me...ROFL...and the nurse comes by on the hour with my liquid smile...LMAO

Phil
11-29-2010, 09:44 AM
It's funny, well done Phil your creations are very interesting and funny

Thank you! They all make ME laugh, and that's why I do it.:)

Fishcarver
01-01-2015, 01:14 PM
The true designers/graphic artists (whom I greatly admire) have already got Designers' Corner . They, IMHO, and their "beta" builders are the true "scratchbuilders" : Creation out of nothing. (Creatio ex nihilo)

I am an unashamed kitbasher. If I drop a Modelik Scorpion turret into a Modelik AVGP Grizzly to turn the whole shebang into a Cdn AVFS Cougar, I am definitely kit bashing. I did not design or "beta build" either of these kits. I am merely adapting these to my purposes; rescaled to 1:35.

I also am a converter of figures. I am working on a vignette of my late Dad in WW2 in 1:35. I have built 1897 Highlanders out of Airfix multipose, etc This is all up to our vastly underpaid and severely unappreciated admins to sort out. Mr Steffens, Happy New Year! :-) Sincerely, JR