PDA

View Full Version : Winan's Cigar ship gunboat

cjwalas
03-23-2008, 10:39 PM
I've decided to switch from aircraft for a while after Old Troll's contest and I've been wanting to do this one since Renova made it available. It's a free download;
http://www.renova-model.com.pl/index.php?f=free

It's an interesting craft, although in a scale I'm not sure I can work in! I'm impressed with the excellent fit of the parts so far.

I've finished the stand and the hull;

The real reason I'm doing it, though, is because I'm not familiar with Renova products and I really want to build their Hunley model. But I thought I'd better get used to the quality before I attempt it. I must say this one is going together very easily!
Chris

Don Boose
03-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Looks like your usual fine craftsmanship, Chris, and a very interesting prototype.

Don

Zathros
03-24-2008, 01:11 PM
That is a really fine model and thanks for posting the link.

cjwalas
03-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Finished her up in very little time. I must say again that I think this scale is a little small for me, either that or I should have printed the smaller parts out on lighter paper.
Overall the fit was wonderful, but the deck section has a horrible fit!
And it's just as bad at the other end! Makes me worry a bit about the Hunley model. Some felt pen covers the mistake.
In wrestling the deck around, I managed to deform it a little, but not too bad. The guns are quite simple, thankfully!
Finished! A rather spare-looking vessel, to be sure, but interesting in its own way.
There's some rather tiny bits on the propeller end, but I still managed to get the thing to spin like an airplane prop!:D
What was really a pleasure on this one was the alignment of the hull sections. It came out very straight with almost no effort. I think I need to do something bigger for my next one!
Chris

Don Boose
03-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Very impressive propeller, Chris, and overall fine work.

Don

cjwalas
03-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks Don. A fun little project while I try desperately to decide on something a bit more challenging...or big enough for my clunky hands! Not sure which direction to go. Been doing WWII aircraft for the last year or more. Not sure whether to continue on the same road or vary it a little. Any advice is welcome, my friend!
Chris

member_3
03-24-2008, 09:13 PM
A beautiful job but I'm not sure that will prepare you for the King George V. :)

papiro
03-24-2008, 09:23 PM
"I've decided to switch from aircraft for a while after..."
Are you sure? maybe is a ship but looks like aircraft (or airship) ! he he !!!
Very nice work Chris.

Phil
03-25-2008, 07:11 AM
Is not a plane a "ship of the air"?

Interesting ship shape.

cjwalas
03-25-2008, 08:58 AM
I think these cigar ships do look like they should have sets of helicopter blades and be appearing in some Jules Verne fantasy.:D The cigar ship that Walden models makes looks even more like a JV invention;
The Walden paper model is available here;
http://www.waldenfont.com/papermodels/
Hmm, maybe I'll get it and ADD the rotors!:cool:
Chris

B-Manic
03-25-2008, 09:19 AM
A very nice build of a interesting vessel. I have been sorely tempted to order Oliver's more detailed, twin screw/twin rudder, model at Walden Models. One of these days.

http://www.waldenfont.com/papermodels/productPage.asp?productID=10

papiro
03-25-2008, 10:02 AM
A very exotic machine, surely with many tecnical problems (if was a real ship) but still a beautiful rare thing and a nice model (a superb job from you cjwalas).
Saludazos

B-Manic
03-25-2008, 12:16 PM
A very exotic machine, surely with many tecnical problems (if was a real ship) but still a beautiful rare thing and a nice model (a superb job from you cjwalas).
Saludazos

This and many other interesting things were concieved and built by Winan using the profits from railway building primarily in Russia. His ships did not prove to be profitable. The links below provide some interesting reading on the subject.

http://home.att.net/~karen.crisafulli/CigarBoats.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Winans

Don Boose
03-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Chris --

I'd love to see you build that Maly Hampden! But I'd also like to see that KGV take shape.

Meanwhile, how about more of the Walden models?

Don

cjwalas
03-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Don,
I will do the Hampden someday, probably sooner than later. But a friend in Europe tells me he has the Fly model Hampden that is in the night bomber color scheme. I haven't been able to track down a copy anywhere else yet. Talks are ongoing!;)
With some of the recent 1860's- 1900 ship models coming out, I'm thinking I may go on that track for a while. I don't think I'll tackle the Hunley yet, but I also have the4 Drafmodel Forelle 1903 submarine. It's in 1/50, so I'll need to scan it and enlarge it to 1/25 to match most of the other small sub models I have waiting to be built! In the meantime, I have oh, so many models to keep me busy!:o
As for the KGV, I think I may be a few years away from that one!
Chris

papiro
03-25-2008, 07:54 PM
B-manic.-
Thanks for the information.
The russians are very innovative through the naval history but often very crazy fast-developers with strange ideas without solid technical basis (as that ship and others like Novogorod, etc.).
Saludazos again !