PDA

View Full Version : Shanty town/shack in 1/87

Kevin WS
11-19-2010, 06:37 AM
A friend of mine building a model railway decided he wanted part of it to run through a shanty town, but could find no way of doing this reasonably - both cost wise and time wise.

So, what I did was design a shanty town package for him............

I basically designed around one sheet of A4 paper and managed to fit on one sheet 4 designs of huts and 4 toilets or “long drops”.

I then modified the materials in the design 4 more times, saving them each time. This now gave 20 different basic designs, but by printing further sheets and mixing the roofs (after cutting them out) across sheets, even more permutations were possible. I also varied the selection of doors/windows, which with the roof changes allowed for over a hundred basic units.

Each building was the same and had only three parts – a base, walls and roof. The idea here was to provide a quick build scenario.

I also, because there were so few parts for depth, paid special attention to the textures of the parts to make them as realistic as possible.

This was some time ago, but I recently found a few pictures from the “trial” days I thought it may be interesting to post.

I also did similar sheets for “new” core housing developments (mass housing).

Pic 1 shows a typical sheet.

Pics 2 - 4 typical shanties, Pic 5 some long drops, and the rest some odd views.

Must find the originals, as I would like to put them to market!

silveroxide
11-19-2010, 07:04 AM
Great job on the shanties and outhouses to boot. These are things of the past that I still remember from the 60's. I took a drive recent through rural NC, and saw OUTHOUSES, but many of them were turned into storage sheds. Unless you go to third world countries, many of the new generation will dot experience the thrill of going to the little house in the dead of night with a flashlight to light the way. Thank God for porta potties.

Kevin WS
11-19-2010, 10:45 AM
They are actually meant for a typical semi urban shanty town in Africa.....

Paperbeam
11-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Nice weathering on these.

Terry

Kevin WS
11-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Thanks Terry. The whole plan was to go for as good a detail, texture etc as I could get, so that making the shanties - 80 odd - would be quick and painless, with minimum weathering required. Otherwise the town was not going to get done!

I also did some smaller scale ones for the skylines, and to create a feeling of receeding distance on the layout.