PDA

View Full Version : Make a WW2 Vet's day...and get something priceless

Wily
11-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Maybe this is a stupid idea, maybe not...

Maybe you know that I'm offering some of my pilot-signed prints on ecardmodels.com.

Dave Winfield did a cardmodel of one of the airplanes I did and I just heard back from the pilot who flew the thing in WW2. He was blown away by the kit but good-naturedly reminded me of his 88 year old hands.

I thought it'd be cool to build it and send it to him for Christmas but I'm lacking in time and talent.

Would any of you be willing to make Donald "Mac" McKibben's P-47, "Sneezy" as a gift?

You need to:

1. Get the kit from ecardmodels.com
1/33 Donald McKibben P-47C Sneezy Paper Model - ECardmodels.com Shop - Downloadable models and (http://ecardmodels.com/product_info.php?products_id=1745&osCsid=60d4a4d7555217a4b8ac05340fb1c45c)

2. Build it - and do an awesome job.

3. Document the build in the Aviation section.

4. Send it to Mac as a Christmas present.

In exchange for your effort and good cheer, I will send you a print of Sneezy, autographed by Don McKibben himself.

In case there are more than one builder who wants to rise to the challenge, I'm sorry - the number of prints is in very short supply and they're virtually priceless pieces of history. I will provide only one print in total and after I hear of it's successful delivery.

If there are a number of people who are up to the challenge, I suspect we'll have a vote-off.

Regardless, your kit will make the pilot's day, probably make the Group newsletter and knowing how these families regard, "their fighter pilot grandpa" will probably stay in the family for a long, long time.

Is this worthwhile for anyone?

Oh...and I think the deadline for model completion should be 12/13 and deliver by 12/17.

APA-168
11-28-2010, 02:18 PM
I'd love to, sincerely I would. But I'm occupied by another build for a vet right now (that's running behind, no less)...hopefully someone with more time and skill then myself will step up to the plate. It's a truly fantastic idea.

mldixon
11-28-2010, 02:50 PM
I guess i'll give this a go... seems only right. And the intentions are for all the right reasons.

assafm25
11-28-2010, 02:55 PM
i really like to do this good thing
as one of the big ww2 pilot lover
i will be more then happy to make this bird for a guy that fight and lose is friend around the skys

airdave
11-28-2010, 03:44 PM
as always with our models, anyone can get the kit for free in return for the build
and for some photos for the store listing.

In this case, the same thing applies, you agree to build the kit and send us some photos and you get the kit free...only you also need to commit to sending the kit to the Pilot.

So you can always build a second for yourself (once you own the kit)
but the first build goes to McKibben.

I guess shipping cost is your responsibility too?, but the reward of a signed Mollison print should be compensation enough for that!... I know it would be for me.

Only issue I have is the idea of getting the kit done in the next couple of weeks, which then leaves you enough time to get it shipped.
I would love to offer to do this myself,
but because I live in Canada, theres no way I can get it built AND shipped in time.

I need to state, I am getting used to "free" builds not getting done.
Don't misunderstand me...I know life sometimes gets in the way.
But I have to admit, that I have given out a very large number of free kits over the last year, and have seen very little progress on the majority of those builds.
You guys know who you are! lol

My point is, don't commit to this project if you know you won't finish it.

This is a great idea...no doubt John will make sure we all get credit for the gesture.
Only thing I want out of it...since I can't actually offer the build myself...is a photo of Mr McKibben with the model.

cgutzmer
11-28-2010, 04:30 PM
mldixon will be doing this build. I have no doubt about his skill and his speed! he can rock em out with the best of em :)
Thanks!
Chris

spgifford
11-28-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm glad someone will be doing this. A great cause.
There is absolutely no way I could have done a quality build and got it to him in time. I'm glad someone who could stepped up to the plate.

ashevilleangler
11-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Good luck and Godspeed to Mr. Dixon! I'm certain that he will make everyone proud of his "Sneezy" build. And yes the Dazzle is still a very high priority for me to finish.

Curt

Wily
11-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Chris, if you say so, it is so.

<S> Mr. Dixon. :) You have no idea what you're doing. :) x 100.

But please - create a thread to document your build.

I'll make sure Mac watches the progress...without the surprise finish, of course.

Wily
11-28-2010, 06:52 PM
A little info about Mac:
WWII & Korean Conflict Airplane Profiles: Profile 32: SNEEZY as flown by Donald "Mac" McKibben (http://ww2fighters.blogspot.com/2009/05/profile-32-sneezy-as-flown-by-donald_24.html)

bluenose shoo (http://www.starduststudios.com/blueLace.htm)

http://www.therunwaycompany.com/WW2/RainingTbolts.pdf

assafm25
11-29-2010, 01:21 AM
airdave
After what u say
I not sure I can’t finish and deliver it to the guy in the sort time u ask for

But I really can make a tray and a full documentation build trade for this model
I will be more then happy to gave it a tray and build your model
But only as a last line

Thanks for your offer and your good thinking

Please update me if u likes me to tray J

assafm25
11-29-2010, 01:23 AM
airdave
After what u say
I not sure I can’t finish and deliver it to the guy in the sort time u ask for

But I really can make a tray and a full documentation build trade for this model
I will be more then happy to gave it a tray and build your model
But only as a last line

Thanks for your offer and your good thinking

Please update me if u likes me to tray J

cgutzmer
11-29-2010, 05:13 AM
assafm25 - Mike will be doing this build ;)

assafm25
11-29-2010, 06:08 AM
i want build trade :)