PDA

View Full Version : DGA Hawker Hunter "Miss Demeanor"

avro202
03-28-2008, 09:59 AM
Question: What happens after you get a little Beaver from DGA?

Answer: Why, you get a Miss Demeanor!;) Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk....

This is my very first build thread, so bear with me, guys. I'm not in anyway shape or form up to the standards of some of you. I dont have the patients for those complicated kits. Its pretty much Fiddlers Green and DGA stuff for me.

Ok so here we go. First I have to see if I can figure out how to post pictures.

This will be a build thread for the Hawker Hunter called Miss Deameanor, available from DGAs website. First thing is to downloand and print it out. I use a anceint Deskjet 710c inkjet printer. Its old. Its slow. It works.

avro202
03-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Hey, It worked. Now I assume I can just "reply" to my own thread to add on.

So, once I had the three sheets printed out, I proceeded to cut out the parts for the fuselage. Then I proceeded to fill in the edges with some pencil crayons and sharpies. After that it was time to roll and glue. OOOps! My first mistake; I forgot I have to decide on either tabs or joiners. I'm more of a tab guy, so I cut the edges into triangly shapes.

avro202
03-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Got em all rolled up nice and glued. I then started gluing the various fuselage parts together. I never know where to start. This time I began with the center and worked my way outwards. I ended up with 2 more or less halves. I added a penny and some kleenex into the nose in case I want to have the landing gear down. Oh and I did the old bit-o-kleenex-in-the-nose trick to get the petal nose part to stick. Then it was on to glueing the final two parts of the body together. I also got the wings cut out.

The fuselage is starting to look like a Hunter.

avro202
03-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Ok, next was the assembly of the wings and tail. And of course the usual Stuffing of the Wings with kleenex. After that I got myself a new x-acto blade and very very carefully cut out the holes in the body for the wings to slide through.

avro202
03-28-2008, 11:10 AM
The wings fit pretty good. After that it was a matter of cutting out the rest of the parts. Got the cockpit and fairing that goes along the top of the fusalage cut our and mounted, along with the tail feathers.

The rest of the parts are ready to attach.

avro202
03-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Attaching the wing fairings was really hard. How dumb! I should never have tried to glue them into shape first. I ended up having to use my big meaty hands to Force the darn things into place. You can still see where my fingers pushed in on the fairings.

rolling, gluing up and then attaching the rest of the parts was fairly easy.

I wasnt sure how exactly the parachute break part fitted onto the back. Another dumb mistake...I was so eager to start building, I never downloaded any actual pictures of Miss D. And since I dont have internet at home, I had to just go without.

avro202
03-28-2008, 11:21 AM
So there we are so far. I could stop now, but I think I will try to get the landing gear done over the weekend. And maybe add a few other things like an arial and pitot tube. The model over all is Ok, but it needs something....

Its too flat. I need to give it a glossy coat of something.

That do you all think?

B-Manic
03-28-2008, 01:57 PM
That looks very nice. Once you get the landing gear and other fiddly bits on it it should have the dimenson you are looking for. A very colourful model I really like the paint job.

willygoat
03-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Looks great Tim! I like you avatar BTW. That's a great show:D

John Bowden
03-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Great Job!

Now if someone (me) would get off their L.B.* and post up the stand and instructions you could have it already to display.................:p

* That's lazy be-hind for the PG crowd

avro202
03-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks all. Hopefully I'll get those fiddly bits done this weekend and have Miss D finalize and photographed for next week.

Thanks goodness for toothpicks. without them I would never even try to get the fiddly parts done!

NOBI
03-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Very clean build...can not wait to see te rest.

Don Boose
03-29-2008, 07:02 AM
That's a psychedelic airplane!

Nice job. Many thanks for sharing your experience in building it. I hope to have photos of my L-20 and M-37 up soon.

Don

-Jim G
03-29-2008, 07:33 AM
Its too flat. I need to give it a glossy coat of something.Tim,
Have you ever tried Future acrylic floor polish? I have had good luck with that to give a model a sheen. It takes a few coats. I have aplied it with a brush, but I think it works with a pump spray bottle too. If you try it I would suggest that you spray a piece of printed waste cardstock first to make sure it will not make your ink run.

You have inspired me with your build. I think I will have a go at a Hunter this week.

Edi
03-29-2008, 08:56 AM
I`m very impressed about this Hunter! Great work

archangel1
03-31-2008, 05:06 PM
Nice job! Colourful, too! Just got my own Sultan of Oman's Hunter and a couple of Beavers. Plus penguins! Look very nice! Just waiting for those extra hours to be added into each day!
Maybe if I'm lucky, they'll eventually do the 'Raspberry Ripple' T.7 scheme! ;)

Zathros
04-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Oh wow man, the colors, the colors. I have to admit that in the '70's that model may have "freaked me out". Nice clean job.

cjwalas
04-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Great looking model ; what a color scheme! Surely, there must be some air regulation against that kind of blinding pattern!
Chris

John Bowden
04-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Guido does some fantastic re-coloring.............

Here are a couple pics of the real thing!

All photos copyright Mike Caine

avbuffs
04-02-2008, 12:02 AM
Please John.... you make me blush !
Anyway, there are some other colorful as well as standard Hunters available on the DGA website.

Guido
www.dgapapermodels.com