PDA

View Full Version : De Ruyter light cruiser, 1:250, Scaldis

Longbow
04-01-2008, 02:21 PM
This is my first post on this site. A first time for everything :)

I recently completed this model. It was more than 30 years ago that I built a paper model.
The result is certainly not perfect, but the building was fun again.
What I enjoyed most was that I could build a model on the kitchen table, thereby keeping in toutch with my family.

Before this model I built wooden and plastic models; and building these models is hard on a kitchen table: more tools are needed, it takes a lot more time to clean up, and wooden models produce a lot of sawdust. Painting or spraying the models in the kitchen is not a very good idea: you have to do this in a separate (well vented) room, usually alone.
Being a familyman I (and my family) enjoyed building this model in the kitchen or familyroom !

This will not be my last; I almost completed a F15 (see my avatar), the next will be a P38 or the Prince of Wales battleship !!

papiro
04-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Not perfect ? of course... nothing is perfect ! but your work looks very well.
My history is very similar, I donīt buid a paper model since 40 (yes, the number is OK) but I try to start again (never so old to return, he he).
The Prince of Wales battleship may be a good option (of course, for my naval preferences)
Congratulations.

- Practicing Spanglish -

Don Boose
04-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Very nice. The little Fokker C-11W floatplanes are excellent!

The DeRuyter had a most unusual funnel, didn't it?

Don

B-Manic
04-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Nice build. Thanks for sharing.

CMDRTED
04-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Very nice build. I'd like to build up a kit on the kitchen table too but "the other" will not allow it. Is this the JSC kit? Great pictures also,, the one stern shot looks alot like the usual picture of her tht's found on some of the usual publications etc.

Barry
04-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Good looking ship

member_3
04-01-2008, 09:35 PM
That is a lovely ship and beautifully crafted.

Bluenoser
04-02-2008, 05:31 AM
It looks good to me. I did this model at the 1:400 scale from JSC and it didn't come with the aircraft.

dansls1
04-02-2008, 05:36 AM
Very nice ship, especially the aircraft (as already mentioned).

Phil
04-02-2008, 06:00 AM
Now, this is the kind of introduction we LOVE to see!!
Welcome Longbow!
Your build is quite nice, thanx for sharing.

SCEtoAUX
04-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Actually that is a very nice looking model.
One thing about building ship models is that any imperfections can be passed off as normal wear and tear on the ship due to long service on the high seas.
Yeah, that's the ticket.:D

Don Boose
04-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Not just ships, Doug! All of my airplanes have suffered various types of operational damage in the course of being clumsily assembled by me.

Don

Longbow
04-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Very nice. The little Fokker C-11W floatplanes are excellent!

The DeRuyter had a most unusual funnel, didn't it?

Don

Yes, quite right.
The first one, when it came from the yard, didn't perform very well.
The suction was too low, especially with high speed. Furthermore the airplanes couldn't take the dust: the engines and canopies needed constant cleaning. This type of funnel was applied late 1938, before the ship sailed for the Dutch Indies.

The ship was sunk in the battle of the Java Sea in 1942, trying to hold off the Japanese. De Ruyter was flagship of a coalition of 4 countries: Uk, US, Australian and Dutch ships.
The outcome was a clear victory of the Japanese fleet due to very accurate gunnery.

Longbow
04-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Very nice build. I'd like to build up a kit on the kitchen table too but "the other" will not allow it. Is this the JSC kit? Great pictures also,, the one stern shot looks alot like the usual picture of her tht's found on some of the usual publications etc.

Thanks for your praise :)
This is the 'Scaldis' kit, scale 1:250. I bought the railings from Scaldis too.
There are in fact two ' De Ruyter' kits: this one from 1938, and a newer one which has camouflage colours picturing the ship in 1942. About the time it went down in the battle of the Java Sea.

Zathros
04-02-2008, 05:31 PM
I really like your ship. The planes are excellent and so is the whole ship. The build is excellent.

papiro
04-02-2008, 09:08 PM
And is his first in 30 years !!!....
wow !

Bluenoser
04-03-2008, 05:32 AM
Yes, quite right.
The ship was sunk in the battle of the Java Sea in 1942, trying to hold off the Japanese. De Ruyter was flagship of a coalition of 4 countries: Uk, US, Australian and Dutch ships.
The outcome was a clear victory of the Japanese fleet due to very accurate gunnery.

This was largely due to the fact that the Japanese had aircraft acting as spotters to track the fleet and provide feedback on the firing accuracy while the Alies had no airborne eyes or deterents and were left blind.

CMDRTED
04-03-2008, 09:49 AM
And that is why Patton described the winners as being there" first ess with the most ess"

Longbow
05-03-2012, 05:17 AM
Legion,
I have posted some more pictures of the rigging.
On some pictures and drawings of the ship there is also a rigging line from the aft mast to the aft range finder. As this range finder has to turn a rigging line was not very practical in my eyes, so I left it out.

legion
05-03-2012, 07:09 AM
Thanks Longbow, those images help a lot! Though the lines between the two masts (a large radio antenna, i think) are not like the ones on the actual ship, but more like in the image below. But that also depends on which photo you look at for reference.

scon10
05-03-2012, 01:30 PM
while the Alies had no airborne eyes or deterents and were left blind
The "De Ruyter" had planes all right as you can see in this great model, but I read somewhere that the planes were deleted due to budget cuts at the Dutch Ministery of War (as it was known at the time).

legion
05-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Budget cuts were also the reason for the 7 main cannons and the AA gun 'island'.

Michael Mash
05-08-2012, 08:50 AM
I just realized you have two projects going.
The rigging and aircraft on this one look great.
Mike