PDA

View Full Version : Cooker

Phil
04-03-2008, 07:54 AM
The subject will be Cooker, from Wallace and Gromits Grand Day Out.
See clip HERE (http://crackle.com/c/Animation/A_Grand_Day_Out/2191007#ml=fc%3d21%26fx%3d).
So, one day Wallace (brilliant inventor) and Gromit (scientist Dog?) are bored and browsing through travel catalogues looking for hot vacation spot.

Unable to decide on a destination, Wallace decides on some crackers and cheese for refreshment.
He gathers the crackers, but there's NO CHEESE!
So, they decide to go someplace where there is cheese...
an OBVIOUS choice...the MOON! For we all know that the Moon is made of cheese, right?

To make a long story short, they build a rocket and fly to the Moon to get some cheese.

On the Moon is this coin operated-robot-oven thingy whose job is to watch over the delicious landscape(I guess)...
We're calling him Cooker, and he is the subject I am going to model.

Wallace notices that the unmoving robot has a coin-slot and inserts a coin (don't ask me why) and after nothing happens, he continues his hunt for the best tasting part of the landscape.

The robot's timer finally clicks on, and he investigates the intruders and their belongings. He finds a travel brochure showing a skiier and he dreams of skiing (?)...well...it could happen...

Cooker spots the cheese nabbers, witnesses their rocket leaking oil on his precious cheddar paradise, and decides to stop them at all costs...long story short again...he grabs the side rails of the rocket just as it blasts off, they tear loose from the ship, and he is left with two strips of metal...about the size of...SKIS!

Yep, he goes skiing!!!

Crazy story! I LOVE it! Thanks go out to Kevin (KCStephens) for suggesting this subject...

This toy has a low priority right now but is definately on my to-do list, and will get to it as soon as possible...we hope.

CharlieC
04-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Slightly off topic but Jayo Sutton's model of the Wallace and Gromit Moonship is available over at Zealot. It's a fun build.

Regards,

Charlie

Zathros
04-03-2008, 09:43 AM
I look forward to Cooker, "Wallace and Gromit" is great.

cjwalas
04-03-2008, 05:20 PM
I wondered when someone was going to get around to this one! I volunteer to be the Beta tester, Phil!
Chris

KCStephens
04-03-2008, 07:51 PM
I'm really looking forward to this one.
Thanks Phil!

Phil
04-04-2008, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the support...kind of a boring thread right now but...it will pick up when I start the design.

Charlie, I was not aware that moonship was from Wallace and Gromit...I downloaded it long ago, not knowing what it was from, it looked fun...thanks!

Chris, thanks for offering to beta-build...if this ever makes it to beta, I will let you know. lol
I print my test builds in full color, if I designed well, then it is finished with the first build. But I am honored you offered!

Kevin, this was your suggestion so, if it goes horribly wrong I can blame you...right?...just kidding LOL!

This project has risen to second place priority, soon as I finish with the aluminum can (Duff Beer) I will start this one.
I am looking forward to this as well...hope I do a good job!

Phil
04-04-2008, 08:10 AM
Well, I ordered some wallace and gromit on dvd...hopefully I got the right one...if not, no loss!

Phil
04-09-2008, 05:34 PM
My W&G DVD's came today!
YIPPEE!!! Now I can get all the detail I need, frame by frame if need be.

Been really busy lately but this is the next toy in line, hope to start this weekend.

John Bowden
04-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Phil............. I can't wait for the model............... but take time to watch the movies and enjoy............ laughing out loud is not practiced much anymore:(

Wallace and Grommit are laugh out loud enjoyment of the best kind:p

john

cjwalas
04-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Yes, I agree. Drink in the full richness of W&G before entering into the design phase. You must be in spiritual harmony with this one, Phil! And have some cracking good toast as well!
Chris

Phil
04-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Yes I will!
I am very happy with the dvd's I bought, I have;
a grand day out, a close shave, the wrong trousers, cracking contraptions, curse of the were-rabbit and a bunch of extras! So far, I have seen the first three I mentioned and I'm tickled pink! Kudos to Nick Park (and all the other fine chaps and chaplets)!

Now...about cooker, I think I have decided on a scale...howz about 1/12 OR 1"=1'...in other words...if wallace is 6 feet tall (guesstimate) then cooker should be about 5 feet tall ('nother guesstimate) so the scale model will be about 5" tall.

The final scale may change (bigger) if I need more detail on certain parts, for instance the arms. My M.O. (modus operandi) is to make flat arms, this time I am going to try actual 3d arms which are fully poseable...once.

I also plan to add all the accessories found in his drawer, before discovering W&G that is. And, yes, the drawer will open to reveal the accessories inside.

I may also give an option to model him before and after coin insertion, and of course, I will include his homemade skiis.

cjwalas
04-11-2008, 07:25 PM
:DGo, Phil, GO!!!:D:D Can't wait for this one! I will, of course have to rescale mine to 1:20.3 for my trains (including the Porter)! Onward to victory, my liege! Sharpening scissors now!
Chris

Phil
04-11-2008, 09:14 PM
I bet you never thought you'd be shrinking one of my toys!
Thanx Chris.

KCStephens
04-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Phil,
I like your idea of modeling the drawer and all his stash....All those little trinkets will really make 'Lil cooker's personality come to life...

And as far as those DVDs go... the more you watch the longer your list will shirley grow... How 'bout Preston from "a close shave"??? (Hint!, Hint!):D

Phil
04-12-2008, 05:15 AM
Preston the cyber dog, techno trousers, flying sidecar...you were right Kevin, these dvd's have gotten my brain running in overtime with ideas...and don't call me shirley! lol

Phil
04-12-2008, 07:08 AM
I managed to extract about 40 screenshots of our little hero, every time I thought I was finished, I spotted a new detail. It took about an hour, the pause button seems to have a three second delay...it took work to get the timing right.

The accessories themselves will be quite a project. I would list them, but instead it will be my little surprise. You may remember most of them anyway.

Going to try to get started today...wifeypoo is sick...gotta be a nursemaid...homemade chicken soup coming up!

Phil
04-12-2008, 10:06 AM
I managed to get most of the map done for cooker.
I am designing in 2d with Paint shop Pro v6 (as always).

Step 1 is to size the image I will trace (screenshot) to the size I want to model, paste to my blank page, then add layer upon layer of seperate parts to create the map.

From here I have all my measurements to start drawing parts. The outline of each part on the map can usually be used as the part itself, since each part is seperated by transparent layers.

There are still layers to add, the sides, the back etc. plus the screenshot layer was made invisible for this pic.
These were omitted to remove confusion for the viewer, but these wil be added to this same map.

Also, the accessories will all be added to this map, profile only.

More later...gotta go check on the soup!

Phil
04-13-2008, 10:30 AM
I finished drawing the wheels, which pretty much does it for this stage.
Here's a pic of the map.

Phil
04-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Well, my Wife had the flu...3 days later I got it...today is the first day I have felt somewhat human in a week.

Just wanted to let you guys know that I will be resuming work on Cooker real soon. Not much else going on this week so I am hoping to finish. Will show you pics as soon as I have them.

cjwalas
04-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Sorry to hear you were ill, Phil. Glad you're returning to human and I'm really looking forward to Cooker.
Chris

Phil
04-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Thanx again Chris!:D

Had a relapse into the flu (make plans-God laughs) but I will get cracking anyway!

Finished with parts page 1!!! Which really isn't saying too much, it is just the frame with the cut-out for the drawer.
This time I am adding tabs (please do not be too ashamed of me for this) they are needed...you will see why, besides, I figure on trying to make things simpler on all of us, that will make building it more enjoyable...RIGHT?

dansls1
04-22-2008, 06:20 PM
I often cut tabs off, but I'd much rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them ;)

cjwalas
04-22-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm with Dan, I like the option of being able to cut the tabs off if I feel superior...or use them if I want the model to look good!
Chris

Phil
04-24-2008, 08:03 AM
I cut off all tabs just to torture myself I'm sure, I no longer see a need to torture you guys tho'...

Well, the flu still has not left me, yesterday I was so dizzy I could have fallen from the ground (is that possible?).

Going to attempt more today.

Phil
04-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Managed a few more bits (despite feeling like boiled crap),
I drew the back panel, side panels and top panel.

Had some difficulty deciding on how to model the curved-rounded panels. Had to decide between realism and simplicity...I opted for simplicity, so, the panels will be square...no roundness-no curves. You can call it HAKO if you want. What the hell, it'll be good enough for me.

cjwalas
04-25-2008, 07:45 AM
I was wondering if you were going to shoot for the rounded edges. Don't blame you for not attempting it. Anyway, it'll make and easier build when scaled down for me!
Job one is getting better, Phil.
Chris

Don Boose
04-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Just don't forget the skis!

Don

Kaz
04-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Ski's yeah! AND the profile for them, gotta be accurate eh? :D

Phil
04-26-2008, 10:45 AM
I also plan to add all the accessories found in his drawer, before discovering W&G that is. And, yes, the drawer will open to reveal the accessories inside.

I may also give an option to model him before and after coin insertion, and of course, I will include his homemade skiis.

Careful reading reveals many things!;)

Phil
04-26-2008, 04:54 PM
I decided to assemble what I have so far. I know it looks like hell, it was basically slapped together while I suffer in misery...in Cookers defense, if it looks like the panels are going to fall off, I did it right.

The dial and coin slot areas will be recessed and the draw and knobs will be 3d. He will look much better after the paint job.

cjwalas
04-27-2008, 06:45 AM
Getting there, Phil! It looks like it's all ready for the paint job. This is going to be a fun little model and it'll definitely get a giggle from anyone familiar with the character. I just wish it was a little more fun for you putting it together!
Chris

KCStephens
04-27-2008, 07:10 AM
Looks great so far...can't wait to see what you have planed for his arms.

Phil
05-02-2008, 11:18 AM
I'm not very happy with the squareness of the front panels on Cooker, it looks too much like a box to me.
I'm not being critical, I'm easy, but if I don't like it, I cannot continue.
So, I am redesigning the front panels to reflect the map I showed in an earlier post. Also, I am trying to reconfigure the frame to show more seperation between all the panels, I don't mind HAKO but it should be more detailed than just a box.

Suggestions and comments welcome.

CharlieC
05-02-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm operating from memory but I thought the W&G cooker was like the electric stoves from the 1950s. That is the corners of the door would have curved edges. My impression is much more art deco and less modern squared off design.

Regards,

Charlie

Phil
05-03-2008, 03:58 AM
I'm operating from memory but I thought the W&G cooker was like the electric stoves from the 1950s. That is the corners of the door would have curved edges. My impression is much more art deco and less modern squared off design.

Regards,

Charlie

Exactly what I'm looking for!

spirtos
05-06-2008, 02:00 AM
a "Wallace & Gromit" modeL ! yupieeeeeee!