PDA

View Full Version : new computer...

paperPino
12-22-2010, 03:26 AM
After 5 years of honest work, my computer is tired and needs to retire.
So, how to choose the right (= for 3d graphic) new computer?
Any suggestion?

Thanks,
PINO

airdave
12-22-2010, 08:31 AM
Probably not the best place to get computer advice, but there are a few tech smart members here.
May I suggest a great Forum that I use for problems and advice: www.techguy.org (http://www.techguy.org)

Your question is too wide open and has too many answers.

My suggestion is look around locally for systems that in your price range.
When you think you have the made the best choice (for you), then feel free to post the System specs and ask for opinions.

Probably a good idea to consider what you expect to do on a daily basis with the computer
and what specific programs you expect it to run.
A system that plays Games well isn't necessarily going to run Art and Graphics programs that well.
MultiMedia systems are designed to handle a wide range of tasks, but are usually very limited at each.

Jim Nunn
12-23-2010, 06:21 PM
I agree with Dave’s comments but I would like to elaborate.

Do you intend to build your own desktop or purchase a laptop or desktop?
Desktops are better then Laptops, simply because you can modify or expand a desktop. If you are going with a desktop spend your money on a good graphic card, you do not need the hottest one out there for graphic work but you do need good one. If you are running 32 bit XP or Win 7 max out the RAM to 4 gigs anything larger 32bit systems can not address. If you are going with Win 7 purchase the professional package this version can run your older software in any thing from Win 98 to XP mode..

Lastly check the typical hardware requirements (not the minimum) for the software package you are going to use. This is a good guide line for what you should purchase.

This is a good source for performance ratings for hardware. Toms Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/us/)

Jim Nunn

oxiclean
01-01-2011, 04:28 AM
If you are looking to purchase a laptop I would definitely recommend notebookcheck.net for reviews about the performance/value of the latest ones on the market.

If you are looking for parts to build your own computer with like graphic cards and such, I would recommend benchmarkreviews.com and read the guides and reviews there. I'm planning to get a new computer too and even though I work with many of them everyday, figuring what to get is never easy.

If you could write what your price range is and what features/functions you hope your machine would have, please do here so that I may be able to give you a few ideas if you'd like.

tedparkes
01-01-2011, 12:35 PM
outlet.dell.com is a great place for good deals on dell notebooks, refurbished, but covered with warranty next business day service or prosupport if you spend a little extra. great way to save up to 500-1k on a new notebook. both of my Precision Mobile workstations I bought though there.

goodduck
01-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Dell! I love Dell! For both as a artist and a gamer. I got a 2 GB XPS dasktop for my kids. It was my workhorse for 7~8 years. Bought a Alienware(Dell own Alienware) M15X dual 2.13(?) 15" laptop for my wife over a year or so ago. She not a gamer. She is a real estate broker, and I want her to have the fire power over any agents in her office. Talk about multitasking and doing graphic or just watching movies. The processor and video card in that thinking box kick butt. But for some reason don't know why, she just don't feel comfortable with it. So, that machine goes to the daughter. I give my wife my old 17" Dell XPS mx710 laptop. My other workhorse for 4~5 years. She feel much better working with it, even it is much bigger and heavier. My personal thinking box is 1.5 years old 17" Alienware M17X laptop, quad core, with option to overcolck and just about anything that can drop in. I can run Rhino, Maya, Photoshop and watching blu-ray all at once. I have not try go online and game at the same time, yet. LOL. I can only do so much multitasking you know. Bottom line, Dell. you can't go wrong. Oh, I got a Mac G4 too. Bought it form work, dirt cheap. I got just for runnimng Photoshop and Maya, and I let the kids play with it too. But, no one in my house like to use it. It is a paperweight now.

Zathros
01-01-2011, 02:04 PM
I just built (3 weeks ago) a computer using an AMD 9550 X4 Processor, 4 G's of Kingston Ram, an MSI 870-G45 MoBo, an XFI Radeon 5870 PCIe Video card W/1G Video Ram, a SeaGate 1.5 Terrabyte Barracuda Hard drive with an Ultra 750Watt power supply and Ultra case. It all came out to around $750-800. You can get ready made computers for that price but they will not spec out the same. MSI uses Mil-Spec solid capacitors, and I am an AMD person, more bang for the buck. I never purchased a ready made computer so I could not tell you what to get, but if you don't know what brand name and model of the components that are in there, don't buy it. I purchased all of my stuff through TigerDirect.com - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Components, Netbooks & Electronics (http://www.tigerdirect.com), they beat NewEgg everyone elses prices and at Tigerdirect, you can always speak to someone. I also went with Windows 7 64 Professional (not included in overall price). I installed the software in this computer and had it up and running, connected to the internet, 40 minutes after I finished building it. Absolutely no driver issues. Although I am a state licensed electronic technician, computers are easy to build, if you build one yourself, and are careful with what you purchase, you can build a better computer than you can buy for the same amount of money (not including your labor of course). Some people are extremely busy and then it isn't worth it. It took me 1.5 hours to build my computer, and I had the time. I may not have ever purchased a ready made computer but have fix 100's of them, that is why I build my own. I personally can't stand Dell, they have a really long history and it's not very good. Alienware makes a a great, update-able computer, but they are expensive. You could make a computer through Systemax, at Tigerdirect, and have control of what goes in there. They are very reputable.

Club MyCE (http://club.myce.com) has a lot of info on computers. I am not unknown there. There still is no direct answer to your question, in all honesty.

paperPino
01-04-2011, 07:59 AM
Thank you to all for your precious suggestions.
Zathros, I admire you for your skill in building computers. It would take one life-time (or more) for me... and a lot of money (becouse of the "trial & error" approach...).
My last (and primary) question is:

32 or 64 bit?

It seems to me that 32 bit computer is becoming rare and rare...
I have a bunch of 32 bit software, and I do not want to transform them in garbage...
It is not clear the degree of compatibility of 32 software with 64 bit processor.

Is it possible to run Windows 7 32 bit (and consequently the 32 bit software) with a 64 bit processor?

(from these question you can maybe realize my hardware skill level...)

Thanks & Ciao,
PINO

calinous
01-04-2011, 08:30 AM
The 64-bit mode is only active if it is needed. You can use an AMD or Intel 64-bit processor with any kind of compatible software (32-bit, 16-bit, 8-bit). I have a 4 years old 64-bit AMD processor that haven't ran a single 64-bit program in its life

Zathros
01-04-2011, 09:20 AM
Get 64, that is the future. It will make your machine relevant in the very near future and can use RAM more efficiently. AMD processors, in my opinion last longer. This has been my personal experience. I have built many computers for many people, the AMD's always last longer than the Intel based machines. Dollar for dollar, you will get more processing power with AMD. If money is no object, then get a top of the line Intel, nothing can beat it, I'd buy another motorcycle first though.

Windows 7 64 Professional is what you want because it can easily run legacy 32 bit software and is ready for the new stuff coming our way. My machine is lightning fast. I can rotate some Rhino models that would rotate on my old machine but now rotate as fast as I move the cursor. (My old machine is an AMD 3700 64 ASUS K8V-SE Deluxe with 2,5G's of ram, ATI Radeon Sapphire 512mb Video Ram).

I would highly recommend W7 64. I ran it from inception to the final release candidate (almost 2 years) and it has worked almost flawlessly, and that was on my old machine (dual boot).

There is talk about 128 bit software in the pipelines. 64 bit IS the standard now. Build a machine right, it will still be relevant. My old computer still works fine. It has now 2.5 Terabytes of hard disc space. My new machine has the same (2.5T's) but can also accept the old IDE drives as it has 1 IDE port. Don't get Vista, no matter how little you can get it for, it's junk.

Get W7 Professional 64 and an AMD 64 X4 processor. It will be the last computer you get for many many years. Also, do not get integrated graphics, no matter what you are told, get a separate video card. Integrated graphics use the central CPU for processing graphics. With a separate card, you can always upgrade the card in the future, or even add more cards. I run dual minotors, but I can run 4. Get PCIe based Video cards, PCIe Crossfire, not SLI. More options with Crossfire, and for God's sake, get an ATI Radeon based video card!!

Jim Nunn
01-04-2011, 11:22 PM
No contest Zathros is correct go with a Win 64 Professional. If you are building your own system look for the "OEM" Version of Win 7 pro. In my area Frys Electronics' is selling it for $128.00. I believe that price is available on line. The big secret is that you don't have to purchase any hardware to get the OEM Version at Frys. If you purchase the retail version Win 7 Pro has both 32 and 64 bit versions. Lastly if you have any kids in school check with them student versions of the software can be purchased in campus or directly from Microsoft for about $80.

I just loaded Win Pro 64 on my puter (its set up very similar to Zathros's machine) and have had no issues with any of my "Old" software. The setup was a fast and very easy. On install Win 7 even found both of my monitors. Most of the issues I had was with old hardware my printer and scanner had to use generic drivers both are around 7 years old.

Jim Nunn

calinous
01-05-2011, 03:39 AM
As for integrated graphics... I have integrated graphics (AMD 690G chipset) on my desktop, and it certainly doesn't suck.
On the other hand, if you use anything 3D, the cheapest discrete video card you can buy is about twice as fast as the common integrated graphics you can find, and from there you have a ten fold increase in speed to common midrange cards.
By the way, stay away from Intel integrated graphics.
And SLI and CrossFire are somewhat tricky, and don't work as good as they should, so I'd say to avoid them (if you know exactly what you're doing, CrossFire or SLI are great - if you don't know what you're doing, they're probably not).

Zathros
01-05-2011, 07:11 AM
Crossfire is nice because it can double up your video capabilities, but the cards must be the EXACT same make and model. I have found that SLi really limits the boards you can get, and since I am an ATI person, I go that route. Getting a crossfire ready board is a good idea because that extra PCIe slot can be used for other things, not just video cards. They can be used for TV Tuners and RAID controllers, other uses are in the pipeline because of the data transfer rate.

p.s. I have seen many motherboards that lose the integrated graphics, and even though there is a graphic slot, the board still does not work. If you lose a Video card, you car just replace the card. If you lose the motherboard, you will have to purchase Windows again, unless the board is exactly the same board, and sometimes, it still will require a new O.S. purchase, as a new motherboard is considered a new computer by Microsoft. This is why it is better to get qa board with a decent aamount of expansion slots. If you lose audio, you can always add a cheap audio card, and they have really come down in prices.