PDA

View Full Version : Clear Aircraft Canopy with packing tape

SCEtoAUX
01-13-2011, 07:22 AM
PeterH over on Google Groups Papermodels II (http://groups.google.com/group/papermodels/browse_thread/thread/407e23141d24e1b9#) posted a link to a YouTube video he stumbled across showing how to make a clear aircraft canopy using clear packing tape. The example in the video uses a FG Mig 3 model.

MKmJJXXKS9g

rch123
01-13-2011, 09:46 AM
very nice idea, thank you for sharing!

Padre
01-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Great idea and directions, will try it next time.:)

Zathros
01-13-2011, 11:12 AM
I was wondering why he didn't just sandwich the canopy between tape. His method does makes some useful tabs for final assembly. Clever! Thanks SCEtoAUX!

codex34
01-15-2011, 01:51 AM
So how come Chip doesn't get dirty fingerprints all over it? Not to mention the bits of grit, dog hairs and air bubbles. And how does he get such thin parts to stay in one piece like that? And how come his fingers don't bleed when he uses a sharp knife?

Thanks for posting that, going to go and try it.
...after i've stopped feeling inadequate at how fast he cuts parts out.

Pat_craft
01-15-2011, 03:09 AM
Astucious... Thanks for the video Scetoaux !

ct ertz
01-15-2011, 08:47 AM
Cool. I have done this before but have made all the mistake covered in the video-fingerprints, no tabs, too thick paper, air bubbles and separation lines. This clears it all up, including the Testers model glue for attaching the plastic covered canopy. Awesome!
CT

Eric Law
02-01-2011, 05:35 PM
a great tip , glad i saw this Thank you. i have a geli focke wulf 189 twin boom recon fighter and if any of you know this plane it would look better with this treatment.Thanks Eric.

Isaac
02-01-2011, 07:09 PM
a great tip , glad i saw this Thank you. i have a geli focke wulf 189 twin boom recon fighter and if any of you know this plane it would look better with this treatment.Thanks Eric.

I don't think this is a good method for this plane as most of it is glazing. You need some sort of structure and the paper and the tape will just distort it.

Same story for the Ju-88 or Do-17 series.

My 2 cents worth of observation.

But I would love to see if you make it with this method

Good luck

Isaac

peter taft
02-01-2011, 07:20 PM
I agree with Issac.... that's an awful lot of canopy for the method suggested - but would like to see how it turns out for you if you go with it... good luck ;)

Swampfox
02-01-2011, 08:51 PM
So how come Chip doesn't get dirty fingerprints all over it?

It's not Chip in the video, it's Bob Martin..... Chip put this video on FG a couple of years ago. I've still never tried the technique, maybe the time has arrived.

SFX

Eric Law
02-02-2011, 09:34 AM
has anyone built the fw 189 and glazed the cockpit,i see what you guys are saying about having a good structure for the glazing, im trying to find pictures of someone who has built theirs with glazing.Thank You Eric.:confused:

Isaac
02-06-2011, 06:47 PM
has anyone built the fw 189 and glazed the cockpit,i see what you guys are saying about having a good structure for the glazing, im trying to find pictures of someone who has built theirs with glazing.Thank You Eric.:confused:

I think one on the Polish forums has a build of this bird ( I saw it about 2 months or so ago. I just can't recall where or which one.

Isaac