PDA

View Full Version : Canon's Nagoya Castle

cdavenport
01-20-2011, 11:24 PM
I'm back after a long hiatus. I really haven't built much in the intervening time...just sort of lost my mojo. But, my friend in the local modeling club had this model printed at FedEx Express, so I just couldn't let it sit in a drawer; that would be rude.

It's a basic OOB build. I pasted the finished model over a picture of cherry blossoms just to give it some sort of background.

B-Manic
01-20-2011, 11:53 PM
It may be an OOB build but it looks great to me, the cherry blossoms are a nice touch.

Sammuel
01-21-2011, 12:11 AM
I have some of the Canon kits downloaded, but have not printed them up yet to build. Yours is a very clean build! The Cherry Blossoms give it a real life touch. It really reminded me of my days being stationed in Japan.
I'm glad your back at it.

Sam

cdavenport
01-21-2011, 01:09 AM
I have some of the Canon kits downloaded, but have not printed them up yet to build. Yours is a very clean build! The Cherry Blossoms give it a real life touch. It really reminded me of my days being stationed in Japan.
I'm glad your back at it.

Sam

Allow me to suggest the printing services of FedEx Express (formerly Kinko's). For .75/page, you get vibrant colors on any of their 110lb papers. You can get glossy, satin, or matte. The ink is highly stable and is quite resistant to handling and work-induced stress.

hancocp
01-21-2011, 01:18 AM
Nice to see you back building again, and a very clean build too.
I like the idea of a commercial print service, anyone know any UK shops that do this ?

Don Boose
01-21-2011, 08:14 AM
Welcome back, Major D!

I always wanted to visit Nagoya Castle, but have only ever seen it from a distance. Your model is superb. Out of the box, perhaps, but clearly a very complex and challenging model built with your trademark precision.

A spectacular reentry, I must say.

Don

cdavenport
01-21-2011, 03:22 PM
Nice to see you back building again, and a very clean build too.
I like the idea of a commercial print service, anyone know any UK shops that do this ?

I would think any professional print shop with public access copiers could do it. After all, it's the same technology.

cdavenport
01-21-2011, 03:22 PM
Welcome back, Major D!

I always wanted to visit Nagoya Castle, but have only ever seen it from a distance. Your model is superb. Out of the box, perhaps, but clearly a very complex and challenging model built with your trademark precision.

A spectacular reentry, I must say.

Don

Thanks, Don. Good to be back among friends!

Zathros
01-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Man, that's a beauty! Anything that you can blow up that big and still look excellent says much. I think I will have to go get this one, if I can figure out where I can put it.

bagpiper
01-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Allow me to suggest the printing services of FedEx Express (formerly Kinko's). For .75/page, you get vibrant colors on any of their 110lb papers. You can get glossy, satin, or matte. The ink is highly stable and is quite resistant to handling and work-induced stress.

Welcome back mate and a very nice little build. Lots of character. I love the oriental buildings. I was stationed in Hong Kong for 3 years and fell in love with the place. Nice little tip about using FedEx Express to do the printing. I am wondering; without going to much off topic; how cost effective this is compaired to printing at home. Anyhoo thanks for posting mate.

Cheers
Jim

p.s. "..work induced stress.." Yeh! I did 16 years in the Army and 4 as a police officer and never had as much stress as I do now. The corporate world can eat you alive. :eek: I know exactly what you mean there mate.

SJPONeill
01-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Welcome back...we've missed you here for quite a while and it's great to see you back building...

Paperwarrior
01-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Great to see you back.

That is a great build. I like your attention to detail, even on this kit. I agree with an earlier post...the Cherry Blossoms are a nice touch.

Jeff

damian
01-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Nice little tip about using FedEx Express to do the printing. I am wondering; without going to much off topic; how cost effective this is compaired to printing at home. Anyhoo thanks for posting mate.

typically printing pages with lots of colour at home is expensive - but convenient. a lot of work places lease their multi function printers and pay around 9-12c per colour page regardless of the ink coverage. i sometimes take my paper into work and print 10-20 pages and put $2 in the petty cash. that is cost effective! (of course work is also paying a couple of hundred per month for the lease on top of that).

cdavenport
01-21-2011, 10:11 PM
[QUOTE=bagpiper;190928]Welcome back mate and a very nice little build. Lots of character. I love the oriental buildings. I was stationed in Hong Kong for 3 years and fell in love with the place. Nice little tip about using FedEx Express to do the printing. I am wondering; without going to much off topic; how cost effective this is compaired to printing at home. Anyhoo thanks for posting mate.

Cheers
Jim

It's difficult to do a an accurate cost comparison because it depends on the printer you are using. I am sure it is more expensive to go the commercial route, but I have yet to see a home printer to compare with the professional ones. So, I figure, it's worth it to me.

Zathros
01-22-2011, 12:04 AM
Inkjet Cartridges, Printer Ink Cartridges, Laser and Laser Toner, Refill Kits - LdProducts (http://www.ldproducts.com) Use these guys if you want to print at home cheaply with really good ink. I have used their products on various printers for years. Average Epson aftermarket cartridge is $4.75 ea. Spend $50 dollars and get free shipping, (just buy the $46 or so dollar package and buy an extra Black, that usually gives you 2 cartridges of each color, (Red, Cyan, Magenta) and 3 black total. (No need to send in core either).

Art Deco
01-22-2011, 01:06 AM
Nice modeling and Photoshopping!

Glad you are back, Charles, hope you and your family are well!

cdavenport
01-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks so much for the welcome home, fellas! It's good to be back!